• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Discussion: Offensive Line

BWahlberg said:
WaGriz4life said:
BWahlberg said:
Proud Griz Man said:
No mention of DOLA Brint ? :shock:

Haha, whoops!

Did hear the O line was told rebrand their HAF stuff to SAF until Germer feels they've earned it.
That is awesome

This is all coming to me 2nd hand but I was told he admonished the players for wearing DOLA and HAF (hard as f***) shirts and wristbands because they hadn't earned it - and he watched film on them last year and told them they were soft.

God I love that talk, I am going to watch Patton.

The Montana offensive line was just not very good last season. If fact, it was down right terrible. Getting the ball out quick and the hurry up will help this O-line out I can't see how it will be as bad as last season. I like the fly sweep on tape it keeps the outside defensive end on his heels because he has a receiver running full speed to the edge right in front of him. Hard to pin your ears back and go after the quarterback with all that going on in front of you. Looking forward to an improved O-line this season. I think those receivers are going to make Gus look all world next year hopfully the O-line will be a big part of this teams success.

The OL has been horrible for two years and the primary reason JJ spent so much time on his back. Hopefully, with new coaching we will see dramatic improvement. Standing around doesn't cut it which has been the case for two years.

Spanky said:
The OL has been horrible for two years and the primary reason JJ spent so much time on his back. Hopefully, with new coaching we will see dramatic improvement. Standing around doesn't cut it which has been the case for two years.

OL will be dramatically helped by the quicker passing system Stitt uses. A lot of JJ's pressure was a result of the long developing pass routes and over reliance on the deep ball. I really am not too worried about the OL. I honestly feel the group will improve and be much more consistent this season in pass blocking.

Am I right in thinking that Kistler and Poehls went to the NFL and Oiland (sp) got a FA try out. The other two were Schmaing and Poole who were both solid. So two years ago was it that we had the pieces but not the whole package? I thought we looked great against App State in the opener but seemed to struggle later on. Was it coaching or scheme or something else?

I agree that last year our line was a problem, replacing three NFL camp guys is never going to be easy and losing Schmaing didn't help.

mtgrizrule....I think you are correct with your comments in general. I am of the opinion that we have the talent to be undefeated in conference and possibly in the play-offs. The concern I have had about the OL is that they didn't play with any fire, stood around and seemed slow. Maybe they were never in shape? My view is if the OL shows up and plays hard the entire game, every game, we are going to be difficult to beat.

Spanky said:
mtgrizrule....I think you are correct with your comments in general. I am of the opinion that we have the talent to be undefeated in conference and possibly in the play-offs. The concern I have had about the OL is that they didn't play with any fire, stood around and seemed slow. Maybe they were never in shape? My view is if the OL shows up and plays hard the entire game, every game, we are going to be difficult to beat.

I agree that the OL was a weak unit the last few years, compared to previous GRIZ teams. With that said, the only difference in what we think is, I believe the coaching change, new offense, and the return of Coach Germer will address all your concerns quite well. The question is, "How long will it take?" My guess is 4 to 6 games for the GRIZ to be firing on all cylinders. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
Spanky said:

I agree that the OL was a weak unit the last few years, compared to previous GRIZ teams. With that said, the only difference in what we think is, I believe the coaching change, new offense, and the return of Coach Germer will address all your concerns quite well. The question is, "How long will it take?" My guess is 4 to 6 games for the GRIZ to be firing on all cylinders. :thumb:

I don't see this coaching staff tolerating that long of a learning curve

horribilisfan8184 said:
mtgrizrule said:
Spanky said:

They may have to and if a group can adapt in 1/4 to 1/2 of a season to a new style that's pretty good. It took 1 1/2 seasons for Pflu's system to sink in.

Spanky said:

So 14-0 and a FCS Championship is your prediction? You heard it here first....

CV Griz Fan said:
Spanky said:

So 14-0 and a FCS Championship is your prediction? You heard it here first....

Now now, he said 'possibly'; so don't get carried away.

BWahlberg said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
mtgrizrule said:
Spanky said:

They may have to and if a group can adapt in 1/4 to 1/2 of a season to a new style that's pretty good. It took 1 1/2 seasons for Pflu's system to sink in.

You don't know Stitt if you believe that!

Griz fans need to face reality for change. Our o-line was always one of the top lines in the entire nation, for over 20 years. We always had one or two kids go pro every season in those days. We just counted on our O-line replacing great players who left with younger great players. No longer. Our O-line recruiting the past few seasons has been very sub-par, and our upper class O-linemen are not of the caliber we used to have. I am hopeful that some of these frosh pan out, but it could be a very long season this year, with Gus frequently on his arse getting sacked or forcing bad throws due to pressure. We have no depth behind a very average-to-weak starting group. That can spell another season similar to last year. You need depth at this position, and we do not have it. It will take at least two more years to get our O-line back to former talent levels at best..... and that is dependent on how good our young recruits are. Just a reality check.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Griz fans need to face reality for change. Our o-line was always one of the top lines in the entire nation, for over 20 years. We always had one or two kids go pro every season in those days. We just counted on our O-line replacing great players who left with younger great players. No longer. Our O-line recruiting the past few seasons has been very sub-par, and our upper class O-linemen are not of the caliber we used to have. I am hopeful that some of these frosh pan out, but it could be a very long season this year, with Gus frequently on his arse getting sacked or forcing bad throws due to pressure. We have no depth behind a very average-to-weak starting group. That can spell another season similar to last year. You need depth at this position, and we do not have it. It will take at least two more years to get our O-line back to former talent levels at best..... and that is dependent on how good our young recruits are. Just a reality check.

Reality check? MD is no longer head coach, and we have new o-line coaches. I don't expect the O-line to be a weakness this year, but even if it is, I don't expect any offensive weaknesses to be featured in offensive schemes like prior years.

horribilisfan8184 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Reality check? MD is no longer head coach, and we have new o-line coaches. I don't expect the O-line to be a weakness this year, but even if it is, I don't expect any offensive weaknesses to be featured in offensive schemes like prior years.

Coaches can't make silk purses from sow's necks.

Atlanta Griz1 said:

Well you're almost always completely wrong about everything, so I now have great hope for the O-line this year. Thanks!

Atlanta Griz1 said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

It's going to be a blend of both your opinions. Do we have the talent and depth at O-line that we need to have a shot at the NC? No way, not yet. Will the guys currently on our roster perform better with Germer as a coach? Absolutely. Looking at the weak defenses in the Big Sky, it might be enough to win the conference.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

With the offensive philosophy of "run, run, pass", no! But with a new scheme, it may well be a blessing in disguise. I personally like our future more now, than with MD and the past! We're finally moving into a new era. That doesn't change the Griz tradition, but it sure adds a new excitement and enthusiasm to the season. It may not happen over night, but neither did Don Read!

Atlanta Griz1 said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

You remind me of a certain used car salesman from the South...

Atlanta Griz1 said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

I know I've responded to your O-line bashing before with logic and it seems to get nowhere, but I'll keep trying in hopes that it eventually sinks in. EVERY O-Line starter has the following advantages over last year:

a) A year older (almost every one of them were forced into a starting position at LEAST one year early)
b) Another year in the weight room getting stronger and faster
c) A full year of experience under their belts
d) The return of John Schmaing
e) A new head coach
f) A new strength coach
g) A new O-line coach
h) A new offensive system that won't be attempting to put a square peg into a round hole repeatedly

You keep wanting to project LAST year's deficiencies onto THIS year's group of players. Just doesn't work that way, no matter how many times you repeat it to the world...

So, in summary: will our O-line be as good as mythical O-lines of years past when we allegedly sent one or two to the pros every year? No. But it sure as HELL won't be a debacle like last year either....it'll be somewhere in between, and you'll have to find something else to bitch about...I'm sure you'll be able to though, given your "glass-half-empty" mentality.

Latest posts

Back