• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MBBALL Please Travis

mtgrizrule

Trust your depth and adapt various press defensive sets to your program. Both those were needed against the Cats in the 2nd half. (I refuse to go further about that pathetic 2nd half. Let's just say, I'm upset and disappointed!)

I'm not saying that press defense needs to be a staple in this program. However, it would be a much needed change for the GRIZ to have in the toolbox. This season, the depth proved to be effective, when it was used. Add in 5 seniors, with a solid 3 man front court rotation, a cat quick seldom utilized freshman PG (Henderson), physically made to be a high pressure defender. It appeared to be a pretty ideal set of circumstances to implement more press to the playbook.

Instead, when the team would get down, struggle in half court offense and defense, we had nothing to change up to, when needed. It certainly wouldn't have hurt, when the team is already struggling!

In post-game with Riley, Coach Cobb rightfully mentioned the occasional head scratching halves, and not being able to find answers, remedies, etc for those halves. How about getting away from the predictable play sets on both sides of the ball? How about going with more depth? Honestly Dischon Thomas and Sawyer were both having off games, why not at least TRY Jones? He was fresh and just contributed in the prior game.

Why not team Henderson with Whitney, with Henderson's primary responsibility be harassing their ball handlers with his quickness? Meanwhile, Whitney could still run the offense.

Plus Oke's engine was running high. Daring them to challenge him in the lane would have likely worked.

It was obvious in the 1st half that Thomas and Sawyer weren't going to be offensive factors. Why not change things up with the element of surprise?

I'd really love to see these kind of changes implemented early and often next season, especially with the guards we should have.

Trust your depth and . . .

In post-game with Riley, Coach Cobb rightfully mentioned the occasional head scratching halves, and not being able to find answers, remedies, etc for those halves. How about getting away from the predictable play sets on both sides of the ball? How about going with more depth? Honestly Dischon Thomas and Sawyer were both having off games, why not at least TRY Jones? He was fresh and just contributed in the prior game.

Why not team Henderson with Whitney, with Henderson's primary responsibility be harassing their ball handlers with his quickness? Meanwhile, Whitney could still run the offense.

Plus Oke's engine was running high. Daring them to challenge him in the lane would have likely worked.

It was obvious in the 1st half that Thomas and Sawyer weren't going to be offensive factors. Why not change things up with the element of surprise?

I'd really love to see these kind of changes implemented early and often next season, especially with the guards we should have.
I did not see the UM players running any offensive plays, and could not tell if UM coaches were calling set plays to create good shot attempts. I just saw turnovers and stagnant offensive possessions, and scoring droughts of 5+ minutes. That second half performance by the Griz was just as scary as the Haiti situation. I would have to question if the players are mentally-blanking out, or if the Griz do not have an Offensive playbook with various set plays. If it is the latter, then Travis and staff have more explaining to do.

He peaked in his first five years. They were good years. This was year TEN. When did the job become a retirement job?
His problem is he got greedy. He could've went to Colorado State or a handful of other programs and passed them all up, and has made it known that he only wanted the Washington job. When he didn't get it after they hired Mike Hopkins, his window closed in on him, and now he's gotten too comfortable at UM. When he first got here, he had a desire to use UM a stepping stone and quickly get out the door. That didn't happen and now he's lost his competitive desire. He sees UM as his long term plan now.

And there's no way he will be considered for the Washington job now. He blew his shot at that one

He peaked in his first five years. They were good years. This was year TEN. When did the job become a retirement job?
Well, like it or not, he most likely stays as long as he doesn't have a couple terrible (losing) years in a row. Especially when you think about it from an institutional point of view from an institution that doesn't have a ton of money to throw around. Why would a basketball coach be on the hot seat at UM if:
  1. There isn't a lot of drama around the program - i.e. players/coaches keep out of trouble, etc.
  2. Most of the players graduate
  3. Winning more often than losing, typically around 20ish games per year and his worst year didn't have an overall losing record
  4. Only 1 Men's bball coach in UM's history has more NCAA tourney appearances (Tinkle with 3. Travis has 2.)
  5. Highly respected coach Mike Montgomery never won the Big Sky tournament
  6. Highly respected coach Blaine Taylor won the Big Sky tournament....twice
  7. Would the University be able to bring in anybody better right now?
Not saying I agree with or am comfortable with that perspective. The difference with TDC compared to other Griz coaches is that they (mostly) left to better positions when they were offered. Now, in theory, say he ends up staying for 5 more years and they make it 2 or 3 times to the NCAA's do us fans (me included!) feel the same way about wanting to move on? Probably not - especially since 2 more NCAA appearances will give him the most NCAA appearances for a head coach for Griz Men's BBall.

His problem is he got greedy. He could've went to Colorado State or a handful of other programs and passed them all up, and has made it known that he only wanted the Washington job. When he didn't get it after they hired Mike Hopkins, his window closed in on him, and now he's gotten too comfortable at UM. When he first got here, he had a desire to use UM a stepping stone and quickly get out the door. That didn't happen and now he's lost his competitive desire. He sees UM as his long term plan now.

And there's no way he will be considered for the Washington job now. He blew his shot at that one
Ironically I read a piece in the Seattle Times a couple days ago that posited that Sprinkle is high on the list for that position.

I did not see the UM players running any offensive plays, and could not tell if UM coaches were calling set plays to create good shot attempts. I just saw turnovers and stagnant offensive possessions, and scoring droughts of 5+ minutes. That second half performance by the Griz was just as scary as the Haiti situation. I would have to question if the players are mentally-blanking out, or if the Griz do not have an Offensive playbook with various set plays. If it is the latter, then Travis and staff have more explaining to do.
To be fair in the offense the players have to stay in motion and reverse the ball to make it work. When they dribble around the 3 point line with 3 other guys standing at the line hoping for an open look it stagnates. It worked ok in the first games but regressed to the dark side when the pressure was on. Never been a fan of it, you can quibble about whether it's design or execution when it breaks down as it often does at inopportune times.

Well, like it or not, he most likely stays as long as he doesn't have a couple terrible (losing) years in a row. Especially when you think about it from an institutional point of view from an institution that doesn't have a ton of money to throw around. Why would a basketball coach be on the hot seat at UM if:
  1. There isn't a lot of drama around the program - i.e. players/coaches keep out of trouble, etc.
  3. Winning more often than losing, typically around 20ish games per year and his worst year didn't have an overall losing record
  4. Only 1 Men's bball coach in UM's history has more NCAA tourney appearances (Tinkle with 3. Travis has 2.)
Not saying I agree with or am comfortable with that perspective. The difference with TDC compared to other Griz coaches is that they (mostly) left to better positions when they were offered. Now, in theory, say he ends up staying for 5 more years and they make it 2 or 3 times to the NCAA's do us fans (me included!) feel the same way about wanting to move on? Probably not - especially since 2 more NCAA appearances will give him the most NCAA appearances for a head coach for Griz Men's BBall.
Spot on post. I thought with his connections to the Bay area and Seattle region more impactful players could be recruited. We have a solid group but no Oguines or Breunigs recently. Nice to have a guy or two who can make things happen when the chips are down. Yet with free agency and pay to play it's hard to retain that kind of player given the geographical and low mid major limitations in Missoula. Add it all up and this is the ceiling given the inherent situation. Within the parameters it is a pretty successful program on a lot of levels even with the bad taste of last night still fresh.

Why is it that fans--even fans like myself with a fraction of the basketball IQ of a Travis DeCuire--can spot persistent problems, point out those problems, then never see those problems addressed but only repeated in key situations?

Problem One: Scoring droughts. Remember, in last night's championship game, the scoring drought ran from approximately 17:00 left in the game to 6:00 left in the game--11 minutes where we scored ONE field goal. Hundreds of posts ago I called this "our snake in the garden." I had witnessed it personally years before in a game at Stanford, where we were ahead at halftime but didn't score for the first several minutes of the second half in a Stanford rout. And yet our coaching staff seems unable to draw up any go-to plays to get us out of these funks--no lob dunks or baseline cuts or elevator screens--just nothing. Same old, same old. Last November I watched the Cats play Cal in Berkeley. They jumped out to a big lead until the bogeyman hit them too. Cal got momentum, fired up the crowd, and it looked like the Cats were doomed. But Matt Logie called a time out, drew up a clever pick-and-roll, the Cats scored and went on to win the game. I NEVER see that with a DeCuire coached team. My constructive suggestion? Hire an offensive coordinator! But that issue has never been addressed, and apparently won't be addressed by this staff. My dominant memory of last night will be of the time winding down, the lead increasing for the Cats, and Brandon Whitney dribbling around and around and around looking for an opening, then passing to a teammate circling, circling, circling around the top of the key. As Mike Montgomery pointed out two years ago in a pre-season telecast, "I see no offensive scheme for the Grizzlies."

Problem Two: The rotation. In the NBA the Warriors have built an entire culture around "Strength in Numbers." Kerr's problem: He can't find minutes for all the capable subs. And yet over the years those players deep on the bench have often played critical roles in key games. But DeCuire? Eight deep, period. Third game in three nights in strange beds in a strange city--it takes its toll, no matter your age. Griz Rule too has urged a deeper bench and more trust in bench players. I agree. And this is an issue that really hurt us last night. You could see our kids were gassed.

So why haven't these issues been addressed? It's my theory that in two other areas, this staff has done well: Recruiting and defensive schemes. And in the Big Sky, these two are often enough to obliterate your other weaknesses, especially during the regular season.

Until you get to a championship game, with so much on the line, where these other weaknesses get exposed. Snakes in the garden, indeed.

I don't post much anymore but my blood runs maroon and I still am broken-hearted to witness such a gruesome second half. First priority: An offensive coordinator. I think the A.D. needs to step in and insist on it.

Last edited:
Let me add a bit more perspective to MissoulaMarinerFan's excellent post:
Montana coach Big Sky Championship game & NCAA appearances:
1 -- Jud Heathcote (Though no Big Sky tourney yet, Heathcote's Griz played in 2 championship games) Heathcote's record: 1 loss, 1 win, 1 NCAA first-round win.
2 -- Mike Montgomery: 5 Big Sky Championship games, 0 wins.
3 -- Stu Morrill: 1 Big Sky Championship game, 1 win.
4. -- Blaine Taylor: 4 Big Sky Championship games, 2 wins, 1 loss.
5, -- Don Holst: 1 Big Sky Championship game, 1 win, 0 losses. Holst was fired 2 weeks after the season ended. Holst's team BEAT the Bobcats in the semifinal game of the 2002 tourney on Dan Trammel's put-back slam with .05 seconds remaining. Thus, the Griz won the 2002 Big Sky conf. tourney in Brick Breeden field house.
6. -- Pat Kennedy, zilch, zero, nada, nothing.
7. -- Larry Krystkowiak -- 2 Big Sky Championship games, 2 wins, 0 losses, 1 NCAA first-round win. BTW: Krystkowiak's teams never won the Big Sky regular season title.
8. -- Wayne Tinkle -- 4 Big Sky Championship games, 3 wins, 1 loss. BTW, Northern Colorado, which beat Tinkle's Griz in the 2011 game, had to VACATE the title because of recruiting violations. However, Montana was not awarded the vacated championship by the Big Sky.
9. -- Travis DeCuire: 5 Big Sky championship games, 3 wins, 2 losses.
Montgomery and DeCuire are tied for the most Big Sky championship game appearances.

Last edited:
Watching the team running off the court last night, I noticed Bodner standing up and clapping for them. Next to him was Haslam who sat in his seat, arms folded, with an unhappy - blank look on his face.

Watching the team running off the court last night, I noticed Bodner standing up and clapping for them. Next to him was Haslam who sat in his seat, arms folded, with an unhappy - blank look on his face.
Other folks have mentioned as well, Haslams hires haven’t exactly been….stellar outside of Pinkerton and bringing Hauck back. TDC sorta fell in his lap, the Shannon experience wasn’t great, it could be argued that it may have been better to keep Petrino for program continuity.

Let me add a bit more perspective to MissoulaMarinerFan's excellent post:
Montana coach Big Sky Championship game & NCAA appearances:
1 -- Jud Heathcote (Though no Big Sky tourney yet, Heathcote's Griz played in 2 championship games) Heathcote's record: 1 loss, 1 win, 1 NCAA first-round win.
2 -- Mike Montgomery: 5 Big Sky Championship games, 0 wins.
3 -- Stu Morrill: 1 Big Sky Championship game, 1 win.
4. -- Blaine Taylor: 4 Big Sky Championship games, 2 wins, 1 loss.
5, -- Don Holst: 1 Big Sky Championship game, 1 win, 0 losses. Holst was fired 2 weeks after the season ended. Holst's team BEAT the Bobcats in the semifinal game of the 2002 tourney on Dan Trammel's put-back slam with .05 seconds remaining. Thus, the Griz won the 2002 Big Sky conf. tourney in Brick Breeden field house.
6. -- Pat Kennedy, zilch, zero, nada, nothing.
7. -- Larry Krystkowiak -- 2 Big Sky Championship games, 2 wins, 0 losses, 1 NCAA first-round win. BTW: Krystkowiak's teams never won the Big Sky regular season title.
8. -- Wayne Tinkle -- 4 Big Sky Championship games, 3 wins, 1 loss. BTW, Northern Colorado, which beat Tinkle's Griz in the 2011 game, had to VACATE the title because of recruiting violations. However, Montana was not awarded the vacated championship by the Big Sky.
9. -- Travis DeCuire: 5 Big Sky championship games, 3 wins, 2 losses.
Montgomery and DeCuire are tied for the most Big Sky championship game appearances.
Thank you - one thing I wish I would have added to my original post, Blaine Taylor, beloved by all, one a tourney championship his first season, followed by 4(5?) years that look similar to the stretch that TDC has been on. He won the conference tournament his last season, then moved on.

How many Montana-type programs have a HC with ten consecutive years at the helm? I really don't know.
Look at TDCs first five years(conference):
First, second, fifth(Tie), first, and first. One down year. Bet he got offers we don't know about.
Second half of his decade is mediocre at best: Third, sixth, fifth(Tie), fourth, and second.

Lots of BSC teams would sell their souls for consistent mediocrity. The conundrum is what needs to be done. Some good suggestions have been stated. Old proverb: A leopard don't change his spots. TDC is gonna be TDC, unless MADE to change(Haslam). Does Haslam have the nuts to insist on some changes?

Second place in the BSC and bitching about it? No, it's who beat us(and like a rented mule). Sprinkle used the scats as a career springboard. Is that really what we want to get into? I doubt it. Something needs to change, but WHAT?

Other folks have mentioned as well, Haslams hires haven’t exactly been….stellar outside of Pinkerton and bringing Hauck back. TDC sorta fell in his lap, the Shannon experience wasn’t great, it could be argued that it may have been better to keep Petrino for program continuity.
What about Chris Citowicki for the soccer program? He's accomplished more for that program than the coaches after Betsy Duerksen combined. Three NCAA tournaments (2018, spring 2021, fall 2021) and regular season titles in 2019, (fall) 2021, and 2023. Mind you he was a very late hire after his predecessor was fired in early 2018.

But I definitely agree about hiring Jamie Pinkerton to build the softball program from the ground floor (and making them competitive from the get go) and bringing Bobby Hauck back to coach the football team again. I don't think Haslam's hire of Travis DeCuire was terrible by any means, but if you're having winning seasons every year and building the team to a point where they're always a threat to win the Big Sky tourney year in and year out, you know you're doing something right and if Travis wants to be the coach here for rest of his career, then I have no problem with that.

The Shannon Schweyen era for Lady Griz basketball was a complete disaster in a lot of ways. It seemed to be the logical move at the time given that Robin Selvig retired during the mid-summer of 2016. It's a shame the on-court product suffered, and morale within the team suffered more under her tutelage (the latter is a topic we've beaten to death enough already). While I did vouch for the retention of Mike Petrino after the COVID season for the sake of continuty, Brian Holsinger has turned out to be a good hire for the Lady Griz and the program is only going to get better.

5 out of the last 8 years (including 4 in a row) DeCuire has been under a 60% winning percentage.

Outside of the Holst/Kennedy years, this may be worst 8 consecutive years in recent history.
How many Montana-type programs have a HC with ten consecutive years at the helm? I really don't know.
Look at TDCs first five years(conference):
First, second, fifth(Tie), first, and first. One down year. Bet he got offers we don't know about.
Second half of his decade is mediocre at best: Third, sixth, fifth(Tie), fourth, and second.

Lots of BSC teams would sell their souls for consistent mediocrity. The conundrum is what needs to be done. Some good suggestions have been stated. Old proverb: A leopard don't change his spots. TDC is gonna be TDC, unless MADE to change(Haslam). Does Haslam have the nuts to insist on some changes?

Second place in the BSC and bitching about it? No, it's who beat us(and like a rented mule). Sprinkle used the scats as a career springboard. Is that really what we want to get into? I doubt it. Something needs to change, but WHAT?
The issue is Montana is not like any other BSC school except Weber. Yes, the Oakland A’s would also sell their souls to have the success of the Yankees, but the Yankees have so many more advantages that they should never be breathing the same air as the A’s.

I often go back to this article (although 6 years old). You can quibble about some of the rankings, but Weber and Montana are definitely a strong 1-2 in any order you want to put them.

Conference tournaments should not fool people into a false sense of security. Montana was 1-5 against the top seeds in the tourney. It took an out of body experience by Nap to beat the 5th seed Cats in Bozeman. They were embarrassed at PSU.

In addition there is no momentum. You had 5 senior starters whose average age was probably 24 in a very down BSC and they didn’t exactly rip it up. Are people excited about next year? My guess is no.

5 out of the last 8 years (including 4 in a row) DeCuire has been under a 60% winning percentage.

Outside of the Holst/Kennedy years, this may be worst 8 consecutive years in recent history.

The issue is Montana is not like any other BSC school except Weber. Yes, the Oakland A’s would also sell their souls to have the success of the Yankees, but the Yankees have so many more advantages that they should never be breathing the same air as the A’s.

I often go back to this article (although 6 years old). You can quibble about some of the rankings, but Weber and Montana are definitely a strong 1-2 in any order you want to put them.

Conference tournaments should not fool people into a false sense of security. Montana was 1-5 against the top seeds in the tourney. It took an out of body experience by Nap to beat the 5th seed Cats in Bozeman. They were embarrassed at PSU.

In addition there is no momentum. You had 5 senior starters whose average age was probably 24 in a very down BSC and they didn’t exactly rip it up. Are people excited about next year? My guess is no.
Good call on Citowicki. Agreed on your other points. The next couple years will be interesting.

Yes to #7

Back