• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Players leaving/ left the Griz Winter/Spring

The only number to me that seems a bit high is 23 combined O-Linemen. I know its a need, but only 5 start and I did not even count the 7 TE's

12 safties is alot, but usually those guys can grow into LB's, be used on Special Teams or be moved to CB if needed.

Fahque said:
When did Wheeler Harris leave?

Decided to leave after spring ball. Griz want duel threat qb's, who can throw, run and do zone read. He's a drop back pro style qb. He's not an athletic qb either, altho has a very nice arm. Not a good fit for UM offense. He entered the portal, has worked with a qb consultant in past, and got calls right away from FBS and FCS schools, including the Big Sky. I assume he needs to go to JC, in order to play next fall and not lose a year, but don't know.

Paytonlives said:
The only number to me that seems a bit high is 23 combined O-Linemen. I know its a need, but only 5 start and I did not even count the 7 TE's

12 safties is alot, but usually those guys can grow into LB's, be used on Special Teams or be moved to CB if needed.

Hate to disagree here, but moving safeties to corner on a regular basis is a recipe for disaster. If they could play corner, they’d already be playing corner.

AZGrizFan said:
Paytonlives said:

Hate to disagree here, but moving safeties to corner on a regular basis is a recipe for disaster. If they could play corner, they’d already be playing corner.

Yeah I agree that’s tough maybe some of the safeties can play some nickel but that’s about it. I do think that depth wise DL and LB are the groups that have been affected the most with having this many safeties, OL and TEs.

AZGrizFan said:
Paytonlives said:

I agree with AZ here... Safety is a whole different attitude and skill set. DB's are probably the hardest position to find at the FCS level, and it isn't a position that just anyone can play.

Paytonlives said:
DEFENSE (46)
S- 12
CB- 8
LB- 11
DL- 3
DT- 4
DE- 8

DT is a position of major concern which should scare everybody:

• DT, Jesse Sims, Redshirt Senior, 6'4", 270
    DT, Eli Alford, Sophomore, 6'1", 285
    DT, Alex Gubner, Redshirt Freshman, 6'3", 295
    DT, Cole Rosling, Redshirt Junior, 6'5", 250, Moved from DE during Spring 2019, No Experience
    DL, Garrison Poetzl, True Freshman, 6'4", 250, Coming off Serious Fall Injury, Will Likely Play DT
    DL, Noah Kaschmitter, True Freshman, 6'3", 225, Will Likely Play DE
    DL, Jacob Mcgourin, True Freshman, 6'5", 230, Will Likely Play DE

There is little depth here for 2019. Jesse, Eli and Alex will be solid. We seriously need at least one transfer with size and experience.

go96griz said:
Paytonlives said:
DEFENSE (46)
S- 12
CB- 8
LB- 11
DL- 3
DT- 4
DE- 8

DT, Cole Rosling, Redshirt Junior, 6'5", 250, Moved from DE during Spring 2019, No Experience
    DL, Garrison Poetzl, True Freshman , 6'4", 250, Coming off Serious Fall Injury, Will Likely Play DT
    DL, Noah Kaschmitter, True Freshman , 6'3", 225, Will Likely Play DE
    DL, Jacob Mcgourin, True Freshman , 6'5", 230, Will Likely Play DE

There is little depth here for 2019. Jesse, Eli and Alex will be solid. We seriously need at least one transfer with size and experience.

I am under the belief they will add two transfers on the DL by Fall. I would think it’s a priority of this staff to try to add some depth there if possible.

The base defense is a stack 3-3 with three safeties back. Last season, the extra lineman on passing downs was a linebacker in terms of skill set. Which was one of the glaring weaknesses given they couldn’t manufacture a pass rush with the combinations they used unless the blitzed additional backers or DB’s.

With a few notable exceptions, the group held their own against the run - third in the league & 55 or so yards worse than league leader Weebs per game. Last seasons’ bunch wasn’t gigantic inside & they look to be fine this season in terms of depth because about half the D-end group (Sims, Deming, Brown, etc.) will be there to eat blocks so that the backers & safeties can make the plays. Hopefully, the other half will have a guy or two who can get after the QB so that they don’t have to overwork 33 & company. If they could have effectively rushed the passer last season, they’ve got one or two additional wins. Pass rusher is the key to the defense taking a step forward this season. If they get extra bodies - fine, but it’s not like the cupboard is bare.

go96griz said:
Paytonlives said:
DEFENSE (46)
S- 12
CB- 8
LB- 11
DL- 3
DT- 4
DE- 8

DL, Garrison Poetzl, True Freshman, 6'4", 250, Coming off Serious Fall Injury, Will Likely Play DT
    DL, Noah Kaschmitter, True Freshman, 6'3", 225, Will Likely Play DE
    DL, Jacob Mcgourin, True Freshman, 6'5", 230, Will Likely Play DE

While I'm not saying it isn't a spot of concern the two callouts, the lack of DT's and over-abundance of Safeties, is partially based on the design of this defense.

Many times the defense has just 3 D-linemen and 1 stand-up/edge rusher. In a lot of those cases they're using just 1 DT or sometimes 2. Hence the reason we have 8 DEs and 11 LBs.

Also on the safety side, while 12 is a massive amount for any team, these guys almost always will have 3 on the field at all points. 2 graduate this season and 3 will redshirt. Still a little top-heavy, but kind of makes more sense.

by BWahlberg » Wed May 08, 2019 6:35 pm

While I'm not saying it isn't a spot of concern the two callouts, the lack of DT's and over-abundance of Safeties, is partially based on the design of this defense.

Many times the defense has just 3 D-linemen and 1 stand-up/edge rusher. In a lot of those cases they're using just 1 DT or sometimes 2. Hence the reason we have 8 DEs and 11 LBs.

Also on the safety side, while 12 is a massive amount for any team, these guys almost always will have 3 on the field at all points. 2 graduate this season and 3 will redshirt. Still a little top-heavy, but kind of makes more sense.

BW - I don't mean to imply you are wrong on your assessment but perhaps a portion of the problem lies with the "design of this defense". The "design" of this defense was at least partially to blame for a 6-5 record last year. The "design" of this year's and future year's defense is going to need to be significantly better than last year and I'm not sure I see that direction at all. Maybe the key is a different "design".

sdk.catfish said:

BW - I don't mean to imply you are wrong on your assessment but perhaps a portion of the problem lies with the "design of this defense". The "design" of this defense was at least partially to blame for a 6-5 record last year. The "design" of this year's and future year's defense is going to need to be significantly better than last year and I'm not sure I see that direction at all. Maybe the key is a different "design".

While the defense had their WTF moments last year and it was super frustrating. I thought they were mostly solid and the design made sense. The 6-5 record could be blamed in a lot of other areas.

by dayday » Wed May 08, 2019 7:25 pm

While the defense had their WTF moments last year and it was super frustrating. I thought they were mostly solid and the design made sense. The 6-5 record could be blamed in a lot of other areas.

Dayday, I don't disagree but I clearly stated that the defense was only part of the blame for the 6 - 5 record. However, a big part of Bob Stitt's demise was the refusal to make significant changes on defense, both scheme and coordinator. Time will tell whether this resurfaces but it would seem logical that without improvement this year some things on defense will need to change. Defensive tackle looks weak this year in my opinion and this is not a defense that can stay on the field a long time without breakdown.

SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Paytonlives said:

I agree with AZ here... Safety is a whole different attitude and skill set. DB's are probably the hardest position to find at the FCS level, and it isn't a position that just anyone can play.

Totally agree. Really just meant that safety can transition to other places easier than say a DL

LB and special teams are a lot easier transition

Paytonlives said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Paytonlives said:

Totally agree. Really just meant that safety can transition to other places easier than say a DL

LB and special teams are a lot easier transition

You are correct.

sdk.catfish said:

What type of "design" would you suggest?

sdk.catfish said:

Or a different "designer". :| :|

bgbigdog said:
The base defense is a stack 3-3 with three safeties back. Last season, the extra lineman on passing downs was a linebacker in terms of skill set. Which was one of the glaring weaknesses given they couldn’t manufacture a pass rush with the combinations they used unless the blitzed additional backers or DB’s.

With a few notable exceptions, the group held their own against the run - third in the league & 55 or so yards worse than league leader Weebs per game. Last seasons’ bunch wasn’t gigantic inside & they look to be fine this season in terms of depth because about half the D-end group (Sims, Deming, Brown, etc.) will be there to eat blocks so that the backers & safeties can make the plays. Hopefully, the other half will have a guy or two who can get after the QB so that they don’t have to overwork 33 & company. If they could have effectively rushed the passer last season, they’ve got one or two additional wins. Pass rusher is the key to the defense taking a step forward this season. If they get extra bodies - fine, but it’s not like the cupboard is bare.
Bingo!!! Given the strong passing games in the FCS and the BSC, it's mandatory you have a strong edge rusher. I haven't seen one on the Griz for several years now. Our guys have the physical tools and skill levels, but, sadly, lack that nasty streak and fire in the belly bad ass attitude to over power some tight ends and offensive tackles. I hope some one steps up this year.

Longoria came in as a DT. Any chance he switches back? I assume many of the OL played DL in HS. Any of them candidates to switch over to D?

Post by AZGrizFan » Thu May 09, 2019 3:43 pm

Or a different "designer". :| :|

Well there is that option too; and one that may need to be addressed sooner rather than later. I really am not trying to be a "bad fan" but I just don't see the current D-line holding up into the 4th quarter of the tough games.

Back