• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Players coming off Redshirts

Sorry meant no offense; just trying to clear up a unique situation, for a player I am obviously very high on. And I will be the first to admit I am clearly biased.

I believe Hill was the only FR to play in every regular season game, but I could be wrong there—I did not double check that. For some reason I was thinking Otsmo missed a game early in the year

Hill may not be as flashy as some of these guys, but he seems to have the most experience of all the FR. It was cool that Hauck picked him to carry out the special teams hammer for that one game.

Kale is darn good in the Zuppa soup at Olive Garden. He and these other young Griz defensive players are going to be extremely good in the next 3 years. They are going to be mean and fast. Mark my words. Lots of talent coming up. Cant wait!

Grizwold said:
Kale is darn good in the Zuppa soup at Olive Garden. He and these other young Griz defensive players are going to be extremely good in the next 3 years. They are going to be mean and fast. Mark my words. Lots of talent coming up. Cant wait!
You lost me at Olive Garden. :puke:

garizzalies said:
Sorry meant no offense; just trying to clear up a unique situation, for a player I am obviously very high on. And I will be the first to admit I am clearly biased.

I believe Hill was the only FR to play in every regular season game, but I could be wrong there—I did not double check that. For some reason I was thinking Otsmo missed a game early in the year

Hill may not be as flashy as some of these guys, but he seems to have the most experience of all the FR. It was cool that Hauck picked him to carry out the special teams hammer for that one game.
Ostmo played in 12 games; Hill 10. Had 5 tackles.

garizzalies said:
dayday said:
WaGriz4life said:
garizzalies said:
You’re going to have to take it up with the NCAA. As far as they’re concerned, he was a true freshman last season.
He was two years removed from High School this season. If you want to compare him to class of 2019 kids and act like its the same thing, go for it :thumb:

I think that person was just saying he was a true freshman last Fall because that’s how a gray shirt works.

I believe Walker, Hill, Elwell could not redshirt. I am not sure about White.

Anyways, McGourin is an easy one but I’m also wanting to see Poetzl and Edwards development in the Spring.
I think you guys seem to be making this harder than it needs to be, but maybe I’m wrong. I know you both already know this, but for the rest, redshirt status has nothing to do with the year a player graduates from HS.
Hill most certainly “could have” redshirted last season but the coaches thought he was too good to keep off the field. A good problem to have, although he unfortunately got hurt at the very end of the season. Grossman was a “greyshirt” like Hill but, unlike Hill, he ended up redshirting his freshman year.
It does not matter what recruiting class you think Hill is in. All that matters is what the NCAA thinks, and they say he’s got 4 to play 3. Same with Otsmo; I’m not sure if Elwell, Walker, and White played >4 games? I did not think so. I thought Hill and Otsmo were the only Freshman not to redshirt—that’s usually called a “true freshman” but maybe you have some other definition.
Hill will never be a redshirt freshman like the rest of this list. That ship has sailed. Altho technically he could someday be a “player coming off a redshirt” year.

You completely missed the point man. You were disputing Hill was not a true freshman last fall not whether he can redshirt and now you’re switching that. You’re obviously a big fan of Hill and I’m high on him too but you are arguing in circles here. Last Fall he was technically a true freshman because of the grey shirt and could have gained an extra year with a redshirt (like Grossman can do) if he did not play in every game like he did. So next year he cannot be a R-Frosh because he played so much so next year he’ll be a true sophomore. Now with that settled let’s move on.

kemajic said:
garizzalies said:

Ostmo played in 12 games; Hill 10. Had 5 tackles.

Hill broke his collar bone in practice later in the season and didn't play after that. He also broke his hand or something like that early in the season, and then played with some type of cast.

dayday said:
garizzalies said:
dayday said:
WaGriz4life said:
He was two years removed from High School this season. If you want to compare him to class of 2019 kids and act like its the same thing, go for it :thumb:

I think that person was just saying he was a true freshman last Fall because that’s how a gray shirt works.

I believe Walker, Hill, Elwell could not redshirt. I am not sure about White.

Anyways, McGourin is an easy one but I’m also wanting to see Poetzl and Edwards development in the Spring.
I think you guys seem to be making this harder than it needs to be, but maybe I’m wrong. I know you both already know this, but for the rest, redshirt status has nothing to do with the year a player graduates from HS.
Hill most certainly “could have” redshirted last season but the coaches thought he was too good to keep off the field. A good problem to have, although he unfortunately got hurt at the very end of the season. Grossman was a “greyshirt” like Hill but, unlike Hill, he ended up redshirting his freshman year.
It does not matter what recruiting class you think Hill is in. All that matters is what the NCAA thinks, and they say he’s got 4 to play 3. Same with Otsmo; I’m not sure if Elwell, Walker, and White played >4 games? I did not think so. I thought Hill and Otsmo were the only Freshman not to redshirt—that’s usually called a “true freshman” but maybe you have some other definition.
Hill will never be a redshirt freshman like the rest of this list. That ship has sailed. Altho technically he could someday be a “player coming off a redshirt” year.

You completely missed the point man. You were disputing Hill was not a true freshman last fall not whether he can redshirt and now you’re switching that. You’re obviously a big fan of Hill and I’m high on him too but you are arguing in circles here. Last Fall he was technically a true freshman because of the grey shirt and could have gained an extra year with a redshirt (like Grossman can do) if he did not play in every game like he did. So next year he cannot be a R-Frosh because he played so much so. Now with that settled let’s move on.
Huh? Not getting your double negative or whatever. I know you and the other guy understand this stuff; so do I. We’re basically saying the same thing. But for some reason, you guys are hung up on me calling Hill a “true” freshman last year even tho you admit “next year he’ll be a true sophomore.”

You also said Hill “could not redshirt” and apparently the other guy thought that too, because the greyshirt, or I guess Hill can’t be “true” based on the year he graduated from HS or something. So I tried to clarify that he could have redshirted (prior to his 5th game) and now he still can in later years. I realize you meant because he played >4games. Right on! That’s my point—he’s one of the very few FR’s who got a ton of experience and yet technically does not belong on the list for this thread. I think that’s amazing and can’t even think of another greyshirt who appeared in every regular season game his first year. Seems very unique to me.

All I was trying to show is that in the eyes of the NCAA, he was a true freshman. And that’s all that matters—not the hang ups.

EDIT: here’s another hangup to get this thread to 17: I think Hill was the only true freshman from MT to “start” every regular season game for a Div.1 school last year. Go!

Back