• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Our best player is?

HelenaHandBasket said:
Robbie Patterson. Figured I would take the Ducky approach, get on the bandwagon early so maybe I can use the "told you so" mantra. If not, I can just deny it and outwit you with my high ID.

If I remember right, the line forms behind me.

I think we are ridiculously blessed to have options in this regard. The defense is full of playmakers and contributors. Ford is a ball hawk and aggressive, but I don't think he makes the same amount of impact as O'Connell does down to down. O'Connell is consistently making plays behind the line, at the line and in pursuit. He's versatile in lining up and playing straight up or on stunts and blitzes. I do think if Robertson was healthy all season this might be a different conversation.

Just as in Robertson's case, we would most likely be having a different conversation if the offense was healthy (Knight, Sulser, Cam) and transfers (Toure/Demming). I think this o-line looks better with a bigger body at TE, a physical back and a QB that is comfortable with reading the defense pre-snap, and maybe that allows for guys on offense to have had a bit more impact this season.

Buschini is a stud, no doubt. The field position change he has provided has been a godsend this year.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Robbie Patterson. Figured I would take the Ducky approach, get on the bandwagon early so maybe I can use the "told you so" mantra. If not, I can just deny it and outwit you with my high ID.

Your IQ mirrors your sperm count, and I continue to live in your head, rent-free. The fact that you include me in every post now says it all............

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
1. OD

2. O’Connell

3. Bushchini

4. Ford

5. Lewis

6. Welnel

7. Akem

8. Cook

9. Robertson

10. Babros

I think y’all are underestimating Robertson’s importance to this defense.
For sure. Our pass defense took a hit when he went out. He seems to be recovering well now, so by the end of the season he's once again going to be the senior presence and enforcer out there. He gets in the right place and delivers blows.

Ford is very good, but he gets burnt at least once every game.
Welnel is a stud that is a part of every sack and tackle for loss in some way
Lewis is like Welnel, around every play, he never gets taken out of the play completely
OConnell is the motor on that defense. He is hands down the best on the defense!

To say who is the best player on the TEAM, and to have only one, well that isn't a team.
Nobody on the team does what Bushchini does, He is a fantastic punter.
Look at what Flowers has done to the kickoff game, teams are afraid to kick to him. That to me makes him the best!

Go Griz!

hunt-ducks said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Your IQ mirrors your sperm count, and I continue to live in your head, rent-free. The fact that you include me in every post now says it all............

It is just so easy.

reinell30 said:
Lewis is like Welnel, around every play, he never gets taken out of the play completely
OConnell is the motor on that defense. He is hands down the best on the defense!

To say who is the best player on the TEAM, and to have only one, well that isn't a team.
Look at what Flowers has done to the kickoff game, teams are afraid to kick to him. That to me makes him the best!

Go Griz!

I sure would like to see the Griz figure out a way to get Flowers the ball quickly to the outside. Receiver screen, sweep, reverse, something......
We tried some sweeps with him without much luck. Seems like a real talent that we are not fully utilizing yet if he is our best talent.
Should we get some of our running backs healthy, JR could also fill the role into some of these options to the outside too.
Go Griz!

hunt-ducks said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Cry.

GottaluvGriz said:
reinell30 said:

Go Griz!

I sure would like to see the Griz figure out a way to get Flowers the ball quickly to the outside. Receiver screen, sweep, reverse, something......
We tried some sweeps with him without much luck. Seems like a real talent that we are not fully utilizing yet if he is our best talent.
Should we get some of our running backs healthy, JR could also fill the role into some of these options to the outside too.
Go Griz!

I agree with that about Flowers. He needs weigh more touches on offense. Maybe the dreaded bubble screen or how about a reverse?

I picked Ford because his position is such a difficult position to recruit at any level and 5 picks, 5 weeks in a row is unbelievable. Of course he gets beat at times, so does O'Connell it just doesn't show up like when a CB does when ur a rush LB. Hell Buschini even shanked a punt this year. That being said has OD ever had a bad snap?

Fun discussion and a lot of great responses because we have a lot of great, talented players who deserve to have their name in the conversation.

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
1. OD

2. O’Connell

3. Bushchini

4. Ford

5. Lewis

6. Welnel

7. Akem

8. Cook

9. Robertson

10. Babros

I think y’all are underestimating Robertson’s importance to this defense.

He's damned important, that's for sure.

Some interesting NCAA stats (thru Saturday's game):

Justin Ford tied for #1 in Interceptions (5 in 7 games).

Malik Flowers #1 in Average yards per Kickoff Return. Only had 10 returns, so he’s not even close on total return yardage. (Griz opponents haven’t scored enough to kick off a lot.)

Pat O’Connell #5 in Sacks per game. #3 in total Sacks (solo and shared) with 9.5. Also #4 in Tackles For Loss.

Ford with his 6th interception in 6 games and a pick 6 has my vote.

He should be a candidate for the Buck Bucannon award.

...injured.
If by “best” you mean most likely to get a sniff from the nfl next year, than yeah, he got hurt today and I did not see him return.

BWahlberg said:
1. OD

2. O’Connell

3. Bushchini

4. Ford

5. Lewis

6. Welnel

7. Akem

8. Cook

9. Robertson

10. Babros

Agree with top 3 but I'd put Bergen in there somewhere. What he's been asked to do w/o any help, has been MVP caliber. Even if he's not 'best' player on the team.

Welnel always makes the game saving or sealing plays. Just thought I might put that out there but it’s hard to chose but I would say Justin Ford or O’Connell

Back