• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Northern Arizona Regular Season Predictions

Griz til I die

DONOR
Time for another prediction, this time we're doing the team that's the biggest mystery IMO, NAU. A new era for the Jacks as they welcome in Brian Wright as head coach. Wright did not retain a single coach from the previous staff and there will be a lot of new face at NAU. Britt transferred out, I think Adam Dimonte is still there though, so we shall see. Let's dive in!

August 31 vs. Lincoln - W. Third year in a row that Lincoln will play a Big Sky team (PSU, Cal Poly) so good for them, but bad on these Big Sky teams for continuing to schedule them. Should be an easy first win for the Brian Wright era.

September 7 @ Arizona - L. This game has become an annual occurrence at this point. Arizona should have a good team this year, but I'm really not impressed by the hire of Brent Brennan as their new head coach. Regardless, this game shouldn't be an issue this year.

September 14 @ Utah Tech - W. There's no way they're gonna lose to them again, are they? Last year was kind of an anomaly as they turned the ball over like 6 times I think. If they can play a clean game, they should be able to beat them this year, even if it is on the road. Could be close, but I'll go with NAU.

September 21 @ Incarnate Word - L. If you didn't follow UIW last year, they went 8-2 (last game of the year was cancelled) and they missed the playoffs with the committee citing a very weak strength of schedule being the reason. I do expect UIW to bounce back this year and win the Southland. Calzada is back at QB, and UIW has a tough non-conference schedule going to South Dakota State and going to Southern Illinois. They have to win this game if they wanna make the playoffs, and I believe they will.

September 28 vs. Sacramento State - L. It's at home, but I think Sac's gonna have a good team this year, and there's no reason they shouldn't win this game.

October 5 @ Idaho - L. If this game were in the sky dome, I would maybe pick the upset, but in the Kibbie Dome I'm not gonna do it.

October 12 @ Montana - L. Talk about a brutal 3 game stretch to open conference play. NAU hasn't been to Missoula since 2017 since the infamous Case Cookus ejection game, and there is nobody on their entire team that's been to UM. Plus the Griz will be out for blood in this one. Griz win easily on Homecoming.

October 19 vs. Idaho State - W. I'll say they eek this one out at home. Really close game, and I won't be surprised if ISU wins, but I'll stick with NAU.

October 26 BYE

November 2 vs. Weber State - L. Another close game. I'm not very high on Weber but I do think they will win this game. Closer than expected though.

November 9 @ Cal Poly - W. If they don't win this game, then they're in a lot worse shape than I thought. They should be fine in this one.

November 16 @ Northern Colorado - W. Same thing as Cal Poly. They should be embarrassed if they lose this one.

November 23 vs. Eastern Washington - L. Could be a big game for the Eags. NAU won this game in Cheney last year, and they could very well win in Flagstaff this year, but right now I think Eastern is the slightly better team so I'll go with Eastern for now.

---------------------------
I got NAU going 5-7 which seems to be right around where they always are. I could see them getting to 7-5 but I'd be surprised. That's my prediction. Thoughts???

Time for another prediction, this time we're doing the team that's the biggest mystery IMO, NAU. A new era for the Jacks as they welcome in Brian Wright as head coach. Wright did not retain a single coach from the previous staff and there will be a lot of new face at NAU. Britt transferred out, I think Adam Dimonte is still there though, so we shall see. Let's dive in!

August 31 vs. Lincoln - W. Third year in a row that Lincoln will play a Big Sky team (PSU, Cal Poly) so good for them, but bad on these Big Sky teams for continuing to schedule them. Should be an easy first win for the Brian Wright era.

September 7 @ Arizona - L. This game has become an annual occurrence at this point. Arizona should have a good team this year, but I'm really not impressed by the hire of Brent Brennan as their new head coach. Regardless, this game shouldn't be an issue this year.

September 14 @ Utah Tech - W. There's no way they're gonna lose to them again, are they? Last year was kind of an anomaly as they turned the ball over like 6 times I think. If they can play a clean game, they should be able to beat them this year, even if it is on the road. Could be close, but I'll go with NAU.

September 21 @ Incarnate Word - L. If you didn't follow UIW last year, they went 8-2 (last game of the year was cancelled) and they missed the playoffs with the committee citing a very weak strength of schedule being the reason. I do expect UIW to bounce back this year and win the Southland. Calzada is back at QB, and UIW has a tough non-conference schedule going to South Dakota State and going to Southern Illinois. They have to win this game if they wanna make the playoffs, and I believe they will.

September 28 vs. Sacramento State - L. It's at home, but I think Sac's gonna have a good team this year, and there's no reason they shouldn't win this game.

October 5 @ Idaho - L. If this game were in the sky dome, I would maybe pick the upset, but in the Kibbie Dome I'm not gonna do it.

October 12 @ Montana - L. Talk about a brutal 3 game stretch to open conference play. NAU hasn't been to Missoula since 2017 since the infamous Case Cookus ejection game, and there is nobody on their entire team that's been to UM. Plus the Griz will be out for blood in this one. Griz win easily on Homecoming.

October 19 vs. Idaho State - W. I'll say they eek this one out at home. Really close game, and I won't be surprised if ISU wins, but I'll stick with NAU.

October 26 BYE

November 2 vs. Weber State - L. Another close game. I'm not very high on Weber but I do think they will win this game. Closer than expected though.

November 9 @ Cal Poly - W. If they don't win this game, then they're in a lot worse shape than I thought. They should be fine in this one.

November 16 @ Northern Colorado - W. Same thing as Cal Poly. They should be embarrassed if they lose this one.

November 23 vs. Eastern Washington - L. Could be a big game for the Eags. NAU won this game in Cheney last year, and they could very well win in Flagstaff this year, but right now I think Eastern is the slightly better team so I'll go with Eastern for now.

---------------------------
I got NAU going 5-7 which seems to be right around where they always are. I could see them getting to 7-5 but I'd be surprised. That's my prediction. Thoughts???
I agree exactly. 5-7 to 7-5. My son goes to school there, and I have done a lot of research on their coach etc. I have connections to the MIAA where he came from and coach and the QB are legit. If they can get the supporting cast and some depth, they will be a really good team in a few years.

This is an aside but good grief I hate the Big Sky unbalanced scheduling. NAU not having been to WaGriz since 2017 is ridiculous.
That's why I like their new scheduling model. You have 2 protected rivals that you play every year, and then you'll play every other team at home and on the road with one gap year in a 3 year span. That's makes it way better for seeing every team on a much regular basis

That's why I like their new scheduling model. You have 2 protected rivals that you play every year, and then you'll play every other team at home and on the road with one gap year in a 3 year span. That's makes it way better for seeing every team on a much regular basis
Yes, except PSU should not be UMs protected rival. That's just dumb. Should be Idaho. The best solution is dump the bottom feeders and play every team every year.

He is still in the portal. I will be surprised if he gets picked up by a D1 school. He most likely will stay in AZ and finish out school.
I just finally found him. I need to go straight to kids' twitter more. I don't really use it, so its a blind spot for me. You were right. He went D2. I am kind of shocked he went to South Dakota, tbh.

Yes, except PSU should not be UMs protected rival. That's just dumb. Should be Idaho. The best solution is dump the bottom feeders and play every team every year.
Well I think everyone agrees that it shouldn't be PSU. Nobody disagrees with that, but compared to the way they used to do scheduling, this is a much better format. And they're not gonna kick out the bottom feeders. That's just wishful thinking lol

I just finally found him. I need to go straight to kids' twitter more. I don't really use it, so its a blind spot for me. You were right. He went D2. I am kind of shocked he went to South Dakota, tbh.

Oh interesting. I know people at northern state. I think my aunt played tennis there back in the day (she’s in her 60s hahahah). Maybe I’ll see what I can find out.

Oh interesting. I know people at northern state. I think my aunt played tennis there back in the day (she’s in her 60s hahahah). Maybe I’ll see what I can find out.
That would be awesome. I had really high hopes for him when he came.

Gotta get in where you fit in. I just found this out last night. I’m still going through the montana portal list trying to locate where kids have ended up. It seems about 80-90% of the kids that have left the team the last 3 years never found a new home. I don’t think that speaks well for our recruiting classes the last 3-5 years. After the ‘21 season I think we lost 13 kids that were either went to the portal and ended up homeless, were cut, or retired from injury. In ‘22 it’s lookin like 10-11 but I’m not done yet.

I think it’s more a function of the NUMBER of kids who enter the portal…there always seems to be more sellers than buyers…every year.

I think it’s more a function of the NUMBER of kids who enter the portal…there always seems to be more sellers than buyers…every year.
It's also nothing new--just the same thing that's been happening forever in a new package with a new name.

The majority of these guys are ones that would've just been told 10 years ago that they don't have a spot for them anymore. Now that the portal is a thing, everyone "enters their name in the portal" these days, but it's no different for these guys than it was before.

The fact that they aren't ending up on another roster isn't surprising, honestly. Most of the guys that left back in Bobby's first stint had the same outcome.

V
Northern State Teachers College. Well, that's what it used to be called.

Latest posts

Back