• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Non-Green Fields

MikeyGriz

I seem to recall the NCAA has a ban on any new non-green fields such as Boise St. & EWU have. Do they get to keep their current set ups in perpetuity, is there a time limit on them, or when they wear out do they have to be replaced with green turf?

MikeyGriz said:
I seem to recall the NCAA has a ban on any new non-green fields such as Boise St. & EWU have. Do they get to keep their current set ups in perpetuity, is there a time limit on them, or when they wear out do they have to be replaced with green turf?

Mikey, not trying to be argumentative here. I don't think the NCAA placed a ban on colored turf? I know there was a lot of discussion mainly because of Boise, the MWC and the God awful smurf turf. I don't believe the NCAA actually changed any rules though. Personally I think they should. Green is all that should be allowed on the playing surface, other than the end zones. EWU is an abomination.

If the NCAA has banned non-green colored fields then it is the first I have heard of it. I also did a quick search and can find no such ruling but it may still be true. I don't know. What I do know is that BSU has a "trademark" on a non-green colored football field (how such a thing could be trademarked is a reasonable question) and if your school wants one too you have to have their permission -- and perhaps even pay a royalty? Crazy IMO.

https://www.lawnstarter.com/blog/landscaping/ugliest-college-football-fields/

:fuel:

central-arkansas-turf.jpg

I would hope the NCAA would have more important issues then the color of turf? Albeit...probably not...

Copper Griz said:
MikeyGriz said:

Mikey, not trying to be argumentative here. I don't think the NCAA placed a ban on colored turf? I know there was a lot of discussion mainly because of Boise, the MWC and the God awful smurf turf. I don't believe the NCAA actually changed any rules though. Personally I think they should. Green is all that should be allowed on the playing surface, other than the end zones. EWU is an abomination.

Their turf is ugly as well.

Okay then, let’s talk about green fields. Teams with green uniforms should not be allowed to have them. :mrgreen:

SaskGriz said:
Copper Griz said:
MikeyGriz said:

Their turf is ugly as well.

Ok that was funny! :clap:

https://licensing.boisestate.edu/blue-turf-blog/

In 2011 Boise State obtained a federal trademark registration for “the color blue as applied to artificial turf”. Perform an internet search for “Blue Turf” and all you will see is Boise State references. So we really do own the blue turf…

The NCAA does not ban colored fields, but the NFL does. It’s known as the “Boise State Rule“.

Latest posts

Back