• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

new scoreboard?

n-zonecrayz

This is not really a topic to debate about but just thought it is a pretty neat deal. I've heard talk about Washington-Grizzly stadium getting a new scoreboard(jumbo-tron), but the kicker is that it is coming from Times Square in New York. I guess they are replacing the old one there. I don't want to start rumors that are not true. Does anyone have any info about this? If it is true than it's a really sweet deal. Just think what we will be able to get after another national championship!!! Go GRIZ!!

Don't know about the Times Square deal but there will definately be a new big time scoreboard in place for the upcoming season. Best of all, we North Zone Crazies will have the best view of it....as it should be!

On 2002-05-30 07:24, THE BETCH wrote:
Don't know about the Times Square deal but there will definately be a new big time scoreboard in place for the upcoming season. Best of all, we North Zone Crazies will have the best view of it....as it should be!

I think what UM should do is, instead of putting one in the field house for basketball which I heard is not going so well, they should just put it on the north end of Wash-Griz Stadium, so that people on the south end can see the scoreboard.

I heard about this from my employer who is a big contributor to Grizzly Football. This came up after a visit to our office by Coach Glenn. Can you get a more trustworthy source?
As far as the Times Square issue, that seems to be true. I have found several articles on the net about the replacement of the old jumbotron. None of them said anything about where the old one is going. But I guess we have the inside scoop.
The size of this thing is huge! One article said 42x23!!! What looks better than a Griz TD in the north end zone?......a replay on the big screen with 25 foot tall players. (im doing the Tim Allen grunt)
A repeat championship team, a superb coaching staff, the absolute best fans, the greatest stadium in 1-AA football, new turf, not to mention the location nestled in the mountians of western Montana. Can you think of a better place for a jumbotron. It belongs here. Can I get an amen?

I for one would love a new scoreboard, specially one that shows the replay with 25 foot players as "n-zonecrayz" said. This would be a huge improvement on our awesome stadium. The only thing I hope is that it goes on the.... SOUTH END. yup, I'm a north-endzoner, so I am gunna be selfish and hope it goes where I can see it!!

I can't wait to see the new scoreboard. It will add to what is already an awesome atmoshphere. Oh, by the way, Amen! (That's for n-zonecrayz)

That would be bigger than the two we have here at LSU, with 96,000 seats in Death Valley! :eek: It would just be huge in little Wash. Griz stadium. Guess I'll believe it when I see it! :D

They do need to upgrade to a better quality picture on the replay board.... But to go that huge would be a little crazy..... Size does matter...but let's try to get the best quality for the buck without exceding our needs.

Oh yeah.....let's get real. :wink:

Ok, here is some info I have dug up so far.

email from University to eGriz.com
Yes, the University is looking at installing a video screen in the stadium. This is part of an overall marketing plan that Athletics entered into with Virtu Consulting. The plan calls for a video screen in the WGS and also a new four sided scoreboard with video capabilities in the Adams Center. The plan calls for a complete makeover of our existing corporate sponsorship structure. All of the new equipment is contingent upon the success of selling corporate sponsorships.

The video screen would be placed above the current scoreboard, which will be given a complete face lift. All of this is, as I mentioned above, is contingent on the success of the new corporate sponsorship marketing plan. Virtu Consulting is the owner and purchaser of any equipment that maybe installed. I do not know what kind and/or where they purchase their equipment, so I really can't tell you anything about the equipment.

From Montana Kaimin
The Board of Regents recently approved a deal with Virtu Consulting that will allow UM to receive new scoreboards in trade for advertising dollars. Dennison said the athletics program had reached a maximum on the advertising dollars it could garner with the old technology, at just over $500,000 a year. He said that the goal for the next year using the new scoreboards, which will feature video screens, will be for more than $900,000 in advertising revenue.
The deal with Virtu Consulting does not require UM to buy the scoreboards, and profits from the advertisements will be shared between the two entities over a 15-year contract. Dennison said he is sure the deal will help to reduce the debt the athletic department has accrued over the past few years.

a small piece from Virtu Consulting contract
Virtu shall provide, through sponsorship, all equipment, installation, maintenance and operation of the Systems at no cost to the University. The Systems’ design and equipment shall meet with the approval of the University.

This is just the info I have found so far. I am still digging and will have more info for you. Hopefully have what kind of videoscreen we are getting and from where!!

Great info. Thanks for the first hand news. Its great to hear about the score board in the Adams Center. Good to see growth. And since the money for these improvements are not coming from the schools budget, that leaves plenty for other upgrades. (can anyone say more parking?)

A little more info on the Times Square Jumbotron. They are waiting on the permits to take it down. They should be headed this way by the end of next week. And the size is more like 23 x 17. That should fit a little better.

Let's play some football!!

less than 20 days!!!!!!! so close I can taste it. (or maybe that was the gyro I had for lunch)

If that is the same jumbotron that was up on New Years of 2000 it is pretty cool. We were 12 blocks down the street from it and we could see it perfectly when the ball dropped--even got some great pictures of it. I can imagine the logistics of getting that thing out of there--not an easy task!

Well sportsfans, the saga continues. The jumbotron is not coming down till Sept. 6th. Yep, 1 day before the big home opener. They finnaly got the permits and sechuduled the takedown. I can only imagine the logistics of that, in Times Square!!! So contrary to what was printed in the paper, last week I think it was, the new scoreboard is not here and will not be up in time for the 1st game. :cry: Well, there are worse things that could happen. Afterall, we don't need a new scoreboard to be the best. It's just gravy. Also I can only speak for the innerds of the jumbo-tron. That is the only part we are taking. Someone else is bringing the screen panels. (not sure when of if they have arrived) Anyhow, just thought id keep ya'll up to date.

Just got back from a trip to the bookstore to load up on more Griz paraphenailia.. and they are doing some heavy construction on the south endzone scoreboard.

Lots of concrete torn up, lots of workers sitting around picking their butts, so you know some work is going on. :wink:

Looks to me like they are making preparations anyway.. but as stated earlier, no sign of the 'jumbo tron' anywhere.

P.S. I got a sweet new cap and stickers for my pickup! They've gotten so many new items, and the place was packed!

4 Hours Griz Fans!

yeah, it will come down on Friday and we are picking it up this weekend. I doubt it will be here in time for the N. Colorado game. Hopefully it'll be good to go for The homecoming game. But who really knows. :roll:

Does anyone have any info as to which jumbo tron it is that's coming from Time Square? We looked at about 20 different trons while we were there, but had no idea which one was gointo Grizville.

Since I have no problems getting tickets, but run into many people needing them I suggest a jumbotron for the tailgaters. Sure.. it's a pipe dream, but what a way to watch the game. Enjoys the festivities, hear the roar of the crowd and watch on a giant TV.

Back