• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NEW GRIZ: Johnny Barthel- OL Bellevue WA

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Paytonlives said:
One of the greatest days of his life and some of you morons act like this.... geez

Welcome Johnny, to UM.
Dont listen to the moronic few.

+1. Bunch of assholes on here sometimes

Welcome Johnny
We are finally getting some o lineman! A year on the gain program and weight room will turn this kid into a beast!

he just seems small to the members of this board who stand 5' 10 and are pushing 300.....some are looking back at 300.....

Paytonlives said:
One of the greatest days of his life and some of you morons act like this.... geez

Welcome Johnny, to UM.
Dont listen to the moronic few.
No kidding. This young man moves well, stays on his blocks and gets upfield in a hurry.
He weighs more than Scott Gragg did as a recruit. That dude played 10 years in the NFL.

Not so long ago (the Kramer era) the Cats signed guys that were like 240 out of high school, and by the time they were redshirt sophomores and juniors they were up to 280-290. Choate has landed bigger guys but I think his strategy may be changing.

Face it, if a kid is big, strong, athletic, he isn't going FCS. OL are prized recruits. You are either going to get a kid who is 280-300 and is either raw in terms of skill, slow, not strong for his size, etc. Or a kid who has a lot of talent and is already developed from a skill standpoint, but who is about 50-60 pounds shy of where he needs to be.

Once in a while an FBS guy falls down into the FCS ranks, but it's the exception.

grizghost said:
..cut me a break..we were all complaining about OL recruits and one comes and we say he looks to
young and scrawny..lol

We don't care that he looks like he is 12 and scrawny, we want someone who looks like Quinn.

Johnny is a two-star recruit and he is ranked the 239th best OT recruit for 2019 by Scout.com. That happens to be one spot below NDSU tackle recruit, Jake Rock. Jake goes 6'6" and 250. Maybe the coaches are on to something after all?

https://www.scout.com/Season/2019-Football/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool&Position=OT

Welcome, Johnny. I'm looking forward to watching you make a big impact on this program in the coming years!

And we also like the continued pipeline from Bellevue. He may look 12, but if he's part of the group that leads this team to 12-0 in a few years, i don't care if he looks like Jennifer Lawrence.

MSU's two OT commits are listed as follows on 247sports.com:

Jack Vering - 6-6 / 245
David Howard - 6-4 /235

https://montanastate.247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/Commits/

I think most fans want immediate help on the o-line to address several years of disappointing play. That is likely why there has been some disappointment/sarcasm with this commit because he likely won't make an immediate impact. Johnny is part of the future and we should be extremely happy to have him. In general, you don't want to play true frosh at this position anyway. Give him a year to develop physically on his large frame which will blend nicely with his athleticism and attitude and he could be something special.

The immediate help is also being sought out via FBS transfer and JC transfer. It would be nice to land one or two of those to help the current o-line. In the meantime, I for one am very happy with this recruit!

grizaremoregooder said:
Great pick up for the Griz! Bellevue is one of the best high school programs in the country. Welcome to Griz nation Johnny! Glad to see some beef.

My Bellevue relatives say the EWU has been getting Bellevue kids in recent times.

Same could have been said for our starting RT this year. FCS programs have to find developmental prospects like this young man give him until he is a RS Junior and we won’t be saying this. I like his frame and his film shows good feet so I think this is a great pickup.

Looks like a great get for the Griz. I don't know much about OLine physical attributes, but it looks like he moves really well and has a big frame. Sounds like a great kid to get.

PlayerRep said:
grizaremoregooder said:
Great pick up for the Griz! Bellevue is one of the best high school programs in the country. Welcome to Griz nation Johnny! Glad to see some beef.

My Bellevue relatives say the EWU has been getting Bellevue kids in recent times.

Ewu has a Sr d-lineman and his brother a redshirt o-lineman from Newport High School in Bellevue but none from Bellevue High.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
Griz2k said:
Jesus, is he 12?

Looks young. Check his hudl tape and you’ll like what you see, 12 or not :D

Not sure if it’s the design of the offense or what, but his highlight film is mostly him scraping off to the 2nd level and demolishing someone 60-70 pounds lighter than him....How’s he gonna do against a guy like EWU’s 310 lb NT? Or MSU’s 305 lb NT?

How often is a tackle blocking a NT, especially 1 v 1?

Not very often. I only use that as an example. Point being, there's very little video of him actually taking on the lineman in front of him. It's usually him against an LB or a S....

grizfnz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizaremoregooder said:

Ewu has a Sr d-lineman and his brother a redshirt o-lineman from Newport High School in Bellevue but none from Bellevue High.

Thanks for the presumably better info.

Back