• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Nelson Suspended

SeattleBobcat said:
Too bad for him. Weed SHOULD be legal everywhere, it's a great medicine with nominal side effects. Unfortunately it's not. This kid is going to miss half the season for some weed, yet we'll turn around and shove opioids down these kids throat that ends up killing tens of thousands people every year. This poor kids career could be over because of a PLANT.

How about we end all this BS surrounding a plant humans have been using for 10,000 years.
Yes, well, humans have been using strychnine for those same 10,000 years ... so longevity of use is hardly a recommendation. And according to the medical facts (see above), the side effects are not quite "nominal."

But, as noted in another post, I agree that MJ should be legalized (and regulated and taxed and ... so on). But then ... well, I've said my piece.

wbtfg said:
It's amazing to me that smoking/ingesting pot warrants harsher punishment than a dui.
:thumb:

Of course, DUI can include more than alcohol (including MJ) ... but I assume that's what you mean. It's incredible how often an alcohol-related DUI gets little more than a slap on the wrist, even when it results in injury or major property damage. Yes, I drink alcoholic beverages -- as quite a few have seen fit to jump on, like that negates everything else -- but I believe in moderation, and think that over-indulgence that causes harm to others should be punished far more severely than it (hardly ever) is.

IdaGriz01 said:
SeattleBobcat said:
Too bad for him. Weed SHOULD be legal everywhere, it's a great medicine with nominal side effects. Unfortunately it's not. This kid is going to miss half the season for some weed, yet we'll turn around and shove opioids down these kids throat that ends up killing tens of thousands people every year. This poor kids career could be over because of a PLANT.

How about we end all this BS surrounding a plant humans have been using for 10,000 years.
Yes, well, humans have been using strychnine for those same 10,000 years ... so longevity of use is hardly a recommendation. And according to the medical facts (see above), the side effects are not quite "nominal."

But, as noted in another post, I agree that MJ should be legalized (and regulated and taxed and ... so on). But then ... well, I've said my piece.
No one is buying your drivel. Marijuana is harmless... you've been brainwashed.

Shame that JR got himself suspended, hope he learns and comes back for redemption. Bottom line: Broke the rules, plus he couldn't kick and might not have been the best in space. ;). #Mistakesmade#GoGRIZ#PotinMissoula?!?!

Oh mah gawd! The NCAA got that dangerous drug smoking hippie off the field! WE'RE ALL SAFE NOW, EVERYONE! Now other players won't be hurt by JR's mellow mood and relaxed demeanor. Oh, and thank gawd someone was there to save that young man from the marijuana cigarettes. Wasn't he in D.A.R.E.? Didn't he see the all the factual data from that government agency that spends millions fighting shrooms, acid and the marijuana cigarettes? Didn't he see this:

ReeferMadnessPoster.jpg

:clap: :roll:

IdaGriz01 said:
Interesting how many people jumped on my avatar in terms of alcohol, so I will not quote anyone in particular. I'm well aware of the down-side of alcoholism, over-indulgence, etc. ... so get over it. Plus, there are also numerous studies to show that alcohol -- in moderation -- is a good thing, just as MJ has some fairly-well-proven benefits for those who have specific medical needs.

Two points: One, alcohol is legal in all jurisdictions, MJ is not. We tried Prohibition ... remember? Disastrous. (Even those who pay no attention to history -- most people -- should at least know that.) Alcoholic DUI is illegal, and, IMO, insufficiently punished when it happens, especially when other people are injured.

See ... I think ALL mood/mind altering drugs should be legalized, regulated and taxed … just like alcohol. But that should go hand in hand with severe penalties for (1) forcing or sneaking your cravings/addictions onto anyone else, and (2) bad things that you do when you’re under the influence.

If all these substances are regulated and taxed, then illegal vendors would be put out of business, or at least sharply curtailed. Ask any cop how much crime is tied to drug trafficking. And we’d have the resources to treat the idiot users who end up crashing into our health-care system. And, yes, I'm aware that I could be included if I over-indulge in alcohol. Fortunately, especially here in Idaho, we "beverage" drinkers pay a major financial price for our "sin."

Am I really serious? You bet. Decisions have consequences, and bad decisions generally have bad consequences. “Doing drugs” is one of the really bad decisions that people make. The sooner users get help and get clean, or pass from the scene (yes, DIE), the better … since they are a drag on society.

No, alcohol is not legal in all jurisdictions. In fact, it is illegal in every state in the US for kids under 21. Most football players, or half of them at least, are under 21.

bigsky33 said:
Rules are rules. Pretty stupid on his part. The shtitt show continues in griz land.

Actually, some rules are good, and some rules are dumb (and should be changed). This one is dumb. And the penalty is totally ridiculous.

PlayerRep said:
bigsky33 said:
Rules are rules. Pretty stupid on his part. The shtitt show continues in griz land.

Actually, some rules are good, and some rules are dumb (and should be changed). This one is dumb. And the penalty is totally ridiculous.
While I agree with you, it's still not a valid excuse. Can't be doing that sh!t.

brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:
bigsky33 said:

While I agree with you, it's still not a valid excuse. Can't be doing that sh!t.

Sorry, players can do what they want. Their choice. Their life. The rule and penalty is totally ridiculous. Various crimes and assaults don't get penalties like this. Why is marijuana something that the ncaa regulates. Give us one good reason, and then justify it compared to all the other stuff that the ncaa doesn't regulate.

Well, you guys almost made it to fall ball without a griz getting busted for something illegal. :coffee: ...although half the season suspension seems a bit ridiculous. That drop down cb will come in real handy now.

SeattleBobcat said:
IdaGriz01 said:
SeattleBobcat said:

No one is buying your drivel. Marijuana is harmless... you've been brainwashed.

+1

Buttegrizzle said:
Kind of unrelated but a recruiter from a college in Nebraska told my kid they don't look at Colorado prospects because of the hassle of kids running home on weekends and bringing weed back to school. Sounds like fighting a rising tide with two states having legalized it.

Remember the anti-weed ads they ran back n the late 80s? They always emphasized the stoners induced lack of enthusiasm Something like,
"Hey! I got 4 tickets to the concert and two girls that want to have crazy sex afterward! Lets go!"
"Mmmm, Nah"
I don't remember those and It's way too much effort to look them up. But weed doesn't do anything bad to you, if I remember correctly.

Marijuana laws are so damn frustrating. I would much rather have a player or student chilling at home, playing vids and smoking a bowl than out at Stocks until the wee hours of the morn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackfootipa said:
Marijuana laws are so damn frustrating. I would much rather have a player or student chilling at home, playing vids and smoking a bowl than out at Stocks until the wee hours of the morn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Fact - possession and/or use of weed is illegal
Fact - possession and/or use of alcohol is not (if you are of legal age)
Fact - some people might not agree with pot being illegal
Fact - that doesn't matter in the eyes of the law and the NCAA
Fact - members of the team know the above
Fact - Montana player makes headlines for breaking the law

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Fushiznitz said:

Fact - alcohol is illegal for those under 21
Fact - ncaa doesn't regulate illegal drinking or DUI's
Fact - marijuana is not a performance enhancer
Question - why does the ncaa regulate marijuana and not other "illegal" activities?
Question - why is the penalty for a first-time offense 50% of games in a season?
Question - what's the point of testing for marijuana before a playoff game?

Fushiznitz said:

Precisely. It's not a f***ing giant moral dilemma, it's simple. Just don't do it and be there for your team.

brewskis said:
Fushiznitz said:

Precisely. It's not a f***ing giant moral dilemma, it's simple. Just don't do it and be there for your team.

So, you have decided it was intentional? On what basis have you made that decision? The dad's post seems to indicate that it was not intentional. If it's not intentional, then how could it have been avoided? Never eat anything that could possibly have marijuana in it? Give up all brownies?

Let's see all your special knowledge of the exact facts in this situation.

Note that there appears to be a witness here, i.e. the girl. If she supports JR on this, I wonder what the ncaa standard is for "convicting" someone. I suppose the test results might be a presumption, but I assume there is a way to rebut the presumption.

Latest posts

Back