• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NCAAF landscape

putter said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Only three post-season games have NC implications in the FBS.
When the Rose Bowl isn't designated as a semifinal (two thirds of the time), is it meaningless?
What is the threshold between meaningful and meaningless for bowls that aren't part of the CFP, or not part of the NY6?

I guess one could base it on payout. Pretty sure none of them have a negative payout like other certain postseason games in other divisions. Could be wrong.

The bowls don't have a negative payout, however, each bowl requires the schools to purchase a certain number of tickets. If the schools are unable to resell the tickets it will cost them money.

Interesting. Do you happen to know how often a bowl loses the school money? I’ll try to find an answer later. Gotta go buy some golf balls before there’s a shortage.

CDAGRIZ said:
GRIZFAN37YT said:
The rose bowl game and those top bowl games aren’t pointless. But if we did move up we wouldn’t play in any of the big bowl games. I wouldn’t want to play in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl or a game like that every year

That’s my question. Where is the 'line of pointless' drawn?
Any FBS game after the regular season that isn't a National Semi-Final or Championship game.

CDAGRIZ said:
putter said:
The bowls don't have a negative payout, however, each bowl requires the schools to purchase a certain number of tickets. If the schools are unable to resell the tickets it will cost them money.

Interesting. Do you happen to know how often a bowl loses the school money? I’ll try to find an answer later. Gotta go buy some golf balls before there’s a shortage.

some of the articles are older...

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/01/...-schools-dont-care-about-the-bonus-check/url]

putter said:
CDAGRIZ said:

some of the articles are older...

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/01/...quote] Neither of these links worked for me.

ordigger said:
UTEP now left far to the west in Conf USA. Mountain has no interest in expanding because they don’t wish to dilute TV revenue. Although they should add UTEP and NMSU in preemptive move.

To pre-empt what?

FBS conferences expanding must, at some point, not simply grow the pie, but grow the slices of the pie. The Pac-12 was going to do that with Texas, but Texas held off because of exactly what happened a couple months ago. There's no viable growth for the Pac without inexplicably dislodging "big" schools from another P5 conference.

The Mountain West is similar. There's speculation that they ought to dive for a Texas school like SMU... a road the old WAC had been down before with painful results, and current MWC California schools may not be allowed to vote for a Texas school. I did say "may." Besides, does SMU really deliver Dallas?

Mind you, the big 12 (lack of capitalization intended) has a different reason to expand, and their expansion may not achieve that (never mind they're destined for a TV revenue reduction). In theory, it should become the P4.

putter said:

Thanks! This is one from Deadspin before it got super political. Around the same time period as the links you gave. Discusses the actual finances behind bowl payouts. It's not a short read, but I found it pretty interesting: https://deadspin.com/teams-in-the-orange-bowl-dont-make-any-money-and-othe-1494130032

Pounder said:
ordigger said:
UTEP now left far to the west in Conf USA. Mountain has no interest in expanding because they don’t wish to dilute TV revenue. Although they should add UTEP and NMSU in preemptive move.

To pre-empt what?

FBS conferences expanding must, at some point, not simply grow the pie, but grow the slices of the pie. The Pac-12 was going to do that with Texas, but Texas held off because of exactly what happened a couple months ago. There's no viable growth for the Pac without inexplicably dislodging "big" schools from another P5 conference.

The Mountain West is similar. There's speculation that they ought to dive for a Texas school like SMU... a road the old WAC had been down before with painful results, and current MWC California schools may not be allowed to vote for a Texas school. I did say "may." Besides, does SMU really deliver Dallas?

Mind you, the big 12 (lack of capitalization intended) has a different reason to expand, and their expansion may not achieve that (never mind they're destined for a TV revenue reduction). In theory, it should become the P4.

They deliver dallas when they're 7-1 and ranked in the top 25.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
JMU just got the invite from the sun belt.

Et tu, JMU? :( :( :(

All our rivals are gone. We're gonna be left in a division with a bunch of directional schools very, very soon.

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m already wildly excited about that November 20, 2027 game against our fiercest rival, Northwestern Kentucky Agricultural College.

Marshall: gone
Umass: gone
GSU: gone
App: gone
Coastal: gone
Liberty: gone
Boise and Reno: obviously long gone
JMU: likely soon gone
NDSU: ?? but won't be long, I'd guess

(I'm sure I'm leaving some out)

UM/MSU/EWU: present!

AZGrizFan said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

All our rivals are gone. We're gonna be left in a division with a bunch of directional schools very, very soon.
When has JMU ever been our rival? We’ve played them like twice in our history. I guess you could maybe consider them a rival since we lost the title to them in 04.

Griz til I die said:
AZGrizFan said:

When has JMU ever been our rival? We’ve played them like twice in our history. I guess you could maybe consider them a rival since we lost the title to them in 04.

Two of the best games ever played by the Griz. They're much more of a rival than 11 of the other 13 teams in the BSC, IMHO.

CDAGRIZ said:
Marshall: gone
Umass: gone
GSU: gone
App: gone
Coastal: gone
Liberty: gone
Boise and Reno: obviously long gone
JMU: likely soon gone
NDSU: ?? but won't be long, I'd guess

(I'm sure I'm leaving some out)

UM/MSU/EWU: present!
That’s tragic if you think about it. Unfortunately for us, until the mountain west pulls their heads out of the sand, there’s really nowhere for us to go. We’re almost at a disadvantage being out west with such few options. Idk what to do, I’d like to see us move up but there’s nowhere to go if the mountain west doesn’t give us a look.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
No quite a done deal yet ... as of four hours ago (roughly). Here's the link:
https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news/report-odu-jmu-to-be-added-to-sun-belt-next-week/

Key quote:
After news broke earlier this week that the Sun Belt Conference was looking to expand by four teams, with ODU, JMU, Marshall and Southern Mississippi as its top choices, multiple reports on Friday say that the conference was closing in on the deal and an announcement is expected early next week. CollegeAD was the first to share the news on Friday morning.
Obviously still details to be worked out, but this just makes too much sense.

Hey but we can or will have the premiere facilities in whatever lower division we will be in. Hopefully we still are not getting out recruited by programs with worse facilities etc etc as we have been.
Like I have said before why spend all the money UM has on facilities to remain at the FCS level and still get outdone on the field by EWU, Sac State and in a battle with Dixie State! That Dixie state game should have been a whip out game.

Griz til I die said:
The mountain west pinned themselves into a corner by not doing anything. The American out played them and took away their path into Texas. So now comes the really interesting part. When Boise State and/or San Diego State get the invite to the Big 12 or PAC 12, then what do they do? Do they go after UTEP and NMSU who frankly don’t give a shit about their programs, or do they finally give teams like the cats and the Griz, NDSU and SDSU the look they all deserve? One can only count on the Mountain West to make the wrong decision.

For now, it looks like we’re stuck in the FCS whether you like it or not, until either the MW offers an invite or until several of these FCS teams say [#]f### it and all move up together and form their own conference.

Man we can’t beat Sac State right now. Maybe let’s focus on that before joining the Mountain West.

Back