• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

N. Colorado in NCAA trouble

BigSkyBears said:
ahh...I knew the Egriz chest thumpers (like Everettgriz) would jump on this news. Hill is a chump and he didn't play by the rules. The NCAA praised UNC for self-reporting, and our self-imposed punishments should be enough. UNC programs are fine. The football program has had 2 winning seasons back-to-back, we have good solid coaching staff for men's hoops that will turn things around. The women's hoops team is having a great season (as normal) and volleyball is always one of the top programs in the conference.

Stop thinking Montana is God's greatest gift to college athletics.

What ---you mean were not ! All roads lead to rome and the coliseum.

Paytonlives said:
kyle_sample said:
Paytonlives said:
citay said:
Because the sanctions could affect their football program?

Very much so.

Again, how? If the violations are limited to the basketball program the football program will not be punished

Kyle.. Take a look. Compare what UM did to what NCU did and do you really think when the administration says "lack of institutional control" this will just be limited to one sport?"

These coaches paid players and took classes/did homework for them. And the administration did not know? Those are very serious charges. and as some have stated earlier, this isn't a big 6 school, so the NCAA likely throws the book at them.

You might be right... but I think the NCAA in all its wisdom, tries to make an example of these guys.

Regardless, we will see in fall how it all plays out. If they get a slap on the wrist, it again will show what a bafoon Engstrom was.

At UM the only program sanctioned was the football program. If football players at UM were receiving impermissible benefits, even as ridiculously miniscule as they were, you don't think athletes in other programs were given the same benefits? You don't think basketball players were invited to boosters' houses for dinner during those years? But none of those programs were sanctioned -- or even mentioned.
It is possible that BJ Hill thought it so important to win that he instructed his assistants to do these things. It doesn't have to be an athletic department wide campaign. There is also this: "Former UNC basketball coach B.J. Hill completed coursework for players, had assistants complete coursework for student athletes and provided $7,000 in impermissible benefits to players, according to the results of an eight-month NCAA investigation. So if the investigation is completed, as it has been reported it is, and no other sports were implicated, I again ask how could it impact other sports programs?

BigSkyBears said:
ahh...I knew the Egriz chest thumpers (like Everettgriz) would jump on this news. Hill is a chump and he didn't play by the rules. The NCAA praised UNC for self-reporting, and our self-imposed punishments should be enough. UNC programs are fine. The football program has had 2 winning seasons back-to-back, we have good solid coaching staff for men's hoops that will turn things around. The women's hoops team is having a great season (as normal) and volleyball is always one of the top programs in the conference.

"Jump on this news"? I don't care enough about your shitty program to "jump" no matter what may happen to it. All I care about is getting into a real conference (or at least one without a bunch of directional DI in name only schools in it).

kyle_sample said:
Paytonlives said:
kyle_sample said:
Paytonlives said:
Very much so.

Again, how? If the violations are limited to the basketball program the football program will not be punished

Kyle.. Take a look. Compare what UM did to what NCU did and do you really think when the administration says "lack of institutional control" this will just be limited to one sport?"

These coaches paid players and took classes/did homework for them. And the administration did not know? Those are very serious charges. and as some have stated earlier, this isn't a big 6 school, so the NCAA likely throws the book at them.

You might be right... but I think the NCAA in all its wisdom, tries to make an example of these guys.

Regardless, we will see in fall how it all plays out. If they get a slap on the wrist, it again will show what a bafoon Engstrom was.

At UM the only program sanctioned was the football program. If football players at UM were receiving impermissible benefits, even as ridiculously miniscule as they were, you don't think athletes in other programs were given the same benefits? You don't think basketball players were invited to boosters' houses for dinner during those years? But none of those programs were sanctioned -- or even mentioned.
It is possible that BJ Hill thought it so important to win that he instructed his assistants to do these things. It doesn't have to be an athletic department wide campaign. There is also this: "Former UNC basketball coach B.J. Hill completed coursework for players, had assistants complete coursework for student athletes and provided $7,000 in impermissible benefits to players, according to the results of an eight-month NCAA investigation. So if the investigation is completed, as it has been reported it is, and no other sports were implicated, I again ask how could it impact other sports programs?

God I miss BJ Hill! We would park there with our dates back in high school.
mtrainbow.jpg

EverettGriz said:
Yet another black eye for the BSC. There is little to no doubt in my mind that the conference did all they could to hand that bsc title to noco in 2011 in order to justify Foolerton's Folly.

It's well beyond time to cut ties to the teams who have no business in the conference.

I am curious, In your opinion who in the Big Sky has business being in the Big Sky?

WILDCATFAN said:
EverettGriz said:
Yet another black eye for the BSC. There is little to no doubt in my mind that the conference did all they could to hand that bsc title to noco in 2011 in order to justify Foolerton's Folly.

It's well beyond time to cut ties to the teams who have no business in the conference.

I am curious, In your opinion who in the Big Sky has business being in the Big Sky?

Absolutes:

Montana
Montana state
Idaho
Weber
Idaho State (grudgingly)

Probables:

NAU
Eastern

Absolutely GONE:

Sac
noco
Psu
SoUt

Poly
ucd

Ursa Major said:
kyle_sample said:
Paytonlives said:
kyle_sample said:

mtrainbow.jpg

:clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:

EverettGriz said:
WILDCATFAN said:
EverettGriz said:

Absolutes:

Montana
Montana state
Idaho
Weber
Idaho State (grudgingly)

Probables:

NAU
Eastern

Absolutely GONE:

Sac
noco
Psu
SoUt

Poly
ucd

Sure, get rid of the top football team in the conference in recent years. Get rid of the top 2 academic schools.

Easy to tell that you never played, or apparently even followed, college sports. Contact the Big Sky conference office, tell them your posting name, and see the reaction you get. You just might get an ear full.

Ursa Major said:
kyle_sample said:
Paytonlives said:
kyle_sample said:

mtrainbow.jpg

Hahahaha....thats great.

This photo must be near Glendive, or at least somewhere in southeastern mt.

EverettGriz said:
WILDCATFAN said:
EverettGriz said:

Absolutes:

Montana
Montana state
Idaho
Weber
Idaho State (grudgingly)

Probables:

NAU
Eastern

Absolutely GONE:

Sac
noco
Psu
SoUt

Poly
ucd

Add NAU, EWU, SUU and Poly into your absolutes and you have a deal.

8 team hoops conference and a nine team football conference.

Eastern probably would stay, but they're not an original BSC member, and they have a LONG way to go to get DI facilities. NAU probably stays just because, but they've never been an obvious fit in the bsc.

The Cali schools simply do NOT belong in the bsc and were only added during Foolerton's Follies. They also are FB only members, which makes it even more logical to jettison them. SUU has no business in the sky: no connection to the conference, no history with the conference, no facilities.

EverettGriz said:
Eastern probably would stay, but they're not an original BSC member, and they have a LONG way to go to get DI facilities. NAU probably stays just because, but they've never been an obvious fit in the bsc.

The Cali schools simply do NOT belong in the bsc and were only added during Foolerton's Follies. They also are FB only members, which makes it even more logical to jettison them. SUU has no business in the sky: no connection to the conference, no history with the conference, no facilities.

Their connection to the Sky is the big rivalries with Weber State and NAU. The Centrum is easily the 3rd best Basketball facility in the Big Sky and SUU has plans on renovating their football stadium which includes removing the track. So in a few years SUU will have some of the better facilities.

As far as Eastern goes they have been consistently good in both hoops and football over the last few years. Kicking them out sure as hell wouldn't strengthen the conference.

And how has NAU not been a fit in the Big Sky? Geographically they fit perfectly and they are one of the oldest standing Big Sky members. Being members all but 7 years of the Big Sky Conference's existence.

See in my mind, this is the line of thinking that got the bsc into this mess to begin with. "Hey, let's add Northeast Southern College, because they may have a rivalry with Midwest North Corner University", particularly when those schools don't offer much if anything to the conference.

I've said it all along, and I think your post highlights the issue, WCF. The bsc needs to begin making decisions like every other conference in America: by making decisions that benefit not the lowest common denominator as has always been the case here, but by benefiting those programs that are the league's cash cows (Montana, msu, ewoo in FB; Weber and Montana in BB).

IF (emphasis added on purpose, as I won't hold my breath) that ever happens, I'll sing a new tune of praise for the league. Until it does, I'll call them out for terrible decision making.

WILDCATFAN said:
EverettGriz said:

Their connection to the Sky is the big rivalries with Weber State and NAU. The Centrum is easily the 3rd best Basketball facility in the Big Sky and SUU has plans on renovating their football stadium which includes removing the track. So in a few years SUU will have some of the better facilities.

As far as Eastern goes they have been consistently good in both hoops and football over the last few years. Kicking them out sure as hell wouldn't strengthen the conference.

And how has NAU not been a fit in the Big Sky? Geographically they fit perfectly and they are one of the oldest standing Big Sky members. Being members all but 7 years of the Big Sky Conference's existence.
Actually NAU is a fit for most everything but "Geographically." Check out a map. EWU has become a core program of the BSC. SUU not so much.

kemajic said:
WILDCATFAN said:
EverettGriz said:

Actually NAU is a fit for most everything but "Geographically." Check out a map. EWU has become a core program of the BSC. SUU not so much.

NAU is a class act and a plus for the BSC. Cal Poly and Davis are academic giants and should probably not be in the Big Sky. So, if a decision had to be made, North Colorado should seek out another conference and since they are expanding their infrastructure maybe the Missouri Valley would be a possibility. But, NAU is a highly respected school in many fields.

GrizLA said:
kemajic said:
WILDCATFAN said:
EverettGriz said:

NAU is a class act and a plus for the BSC. Cal Poly and Davis are academic giants and should probably not be in the Big Sky. So, if a decision had to be made, North Colorado should seek out another conference and since they are expanding their infrastructure maybe the Missouri Valley would be a possibility. But, NAU is a highly respected school in many fields.
I agree, Cal Poly and Davis need to go, the only problem is where are they gonna go? The big sky is the only Fcs football conference in the west coast. Their only other option is to play as independents (scheduling nightmare), or join the pioneer league but then have to drop scholarships for the players. As for Norther Colorado I'm ok with them staying but I wouldn't be hurt if they left. I think their too out of range for the Missouri Valley. Also what kind of infrastructure expansions are they making?

kemajic said:
WILDCATFAN said:
EverettGriz said:

Northern Arizona fits geographically in the Big Sky as much as Colorado does in the Pac 12, Hawaii does in the Mountain West, West Virginia does to the Big 12 and UMKC does in the WAC. But Hey at least they are in the same time zone as the majority of the rest of the conference, after all you are the one constantly complaining about playing in 3 time zones despite NAU being in the exact same time zone as Montana, Montana State, Northern Colorado, Idaho State Weber State and SUU.

Also Eastern Washington has had almost 30 years to make themselves core members of the Sky, SUU has had 4. But in those 4 years SUU has become one of the more relevant football teams in the Big Sky, including winning a Big Sky title.

EverettGriz said:
BigSkyBears said:

"Jump on this news"? I don't care enough about your shitty program to "jump" no matter what may happen to it. All I care about is getting into a real conference (or at least one without a bunch of directional DI in name only schools in it).

I've gotta remind myself you're just a kid.

WILDCATFAN said:
kemajic said:
WILDCATFAN said:
EverettGriz said:

Northern Arizona fits geographically in the Big Sky as much as Colorado does in the Pac 12, Hawaii does in the Mountain West, West Virginia does to the Big 12 and UMKC does in the WAC. But Hey at least they are in the same time zone as the majority of the rest of the conference, after all you are the one constantly complaining about playing in 3 time zones despite NAU being in the exact same time zone as Montana, Montana State, Northern Colorado, Idaho State Weber State and SUU.
Quoting other geographic misfits does not make NAU a geographic fit. Travel is a bigger part of the AD budgets in the BSC than it is in FBS conferences. There is more to geography than time zones. It is a geographic outlier, not to the extreme of UND, but a long way from the geographic center of the conference.

fanofzoo said:
BigSkyBears said:

What ---you mean were not ! All roads lead to rome and the coliseum.

*colosseum

Latest posts

Back