• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Montana St. Enrollment Expected to Drop

So in reality, MSU has almost twice as many students to choose from? I never knew there was such a big difference in attendance.

I think overall, young people are learning that going into life with a huge student debt and not finding a job after college is a very challenging way to start.

The US Army hit it's recruiting goals for the 1st time in 13 years. The Air Force still hasn't over this same time period. There are a lot more folks in the Army. Why do I state this? to me it means the trends of young folks are realizing they can earn a degree on active duty without the great student debt. Besides, Active duty Military is a great life! Plus they learn an invaluable skill while serving.

sounds like the boat hasn't been righted yet, so to speak. i hope they can turn things around sooner than later.

i was roundly denigrated for asking how bodnar was doing not too long ago, with the thread being move due to who started it. i think the issue is relevant to griz, though, as they are obviously part of the university, and affected by such things. not a popular sentiment on here, but i do think that at some point asking whether he's the 'right guy' might be appropriate. sometimes 'outside the box' hires don't work out like you hope. not saying it's the same thing or that bodnar has had enough time to get 'his guys', but in some ways his hire is sort of analogous to that last coach, whatever his name was.

argh! said:
sounds like the boat hasn't been righted yet, so to speak. i hope they can turn things around sooner than later.

i was roundly denigrated for asking how bodnar was doing not too long ago, with the thread being move due to who started it. i think the issue is relevant to griz, though, as they are obviously part of the university, and affected by such things. not a popular sentiment on here, but i do think that at some point asking whether he's the 'right guy' might be appropriate. sometimes 'outside the box' hires don't work out like you hope. not saying it's the same thing or that bodnar has had enough time to get 'his guys', but in some ways his hire is sort of analogous to that last coach, whatever his name was.

The answer is that he’s the right guy and the best person UM could have gotten for the job. He has done a huge number of things to right the ship.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

The answer is that he’s the right guy and the best person UM could have gotten for the job. He has done a huge number of things to right the ship.

What many Bodnar critics don't seem to fully understand is that 'traditional' candidates weren't lining up to apply for this job. As an academic institution, UM was in very, very rough shape. Like him or not, he wanted to take on these challenges. And he's doing a great job.

i'm not a bodnar critic, per se, except for that beard thing. greenie says he's done great things, and of course he's closer to what's going on at um these days than i am, but what the great things are are not obvious, from my vantage point, which again, isn't as close as many of you.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

the best were able to get isn't exactly a ringing endorsement :thumb:

The.Real.2506 said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

He’s better than the MSU president.

In the past decade, the total enrollment for the Montana University System as a whole has declined only about 1,400 students. It was nearly 31k before the decline. It was 29k and change last year.

The problem is, every campus except MSU has lost students or flattened out, that includes Tech, which has out ranked MSU as an engineering school for years.

A decline in enrollment that small for the entire system , does not support the sour economy narrative we hear from UM apologists.

Here's another tidbit, MSU's liberal arts programs have increased in enrollment. We know this because MSU publishes an enrollment headcount by major, something UM stopped publishing around 2011 when things went to shit. We also know that UM still has more graduates with bachelor's of arts degrees, but that MSU'S BA graduates are increasing. This is a management problem, folks.

griz4life said:
In the past decade, the total enrollment for the Montana University System as a whole has declined only about 1,400 students. It was nearly 31k before the decline. It was 29k and change last year.

The problem is, every campus except MSU has lost students or flattened out, that includes Tech, which has out ranked MSU as an engineering school for years.

A decline in enrollment that small for the entire system , does not support the sour economy narrative we hear from UM apologists.

Here's another tidbit, MSU's liberal arts programs have increased in enrollment. We know this because MSU publishes an enrollment headcount by major, something UM stopped publishing around 2011 when things went to shit. We also know that UM still has more graduates with bachelor's of arts degrees, but that MSU'S BA graduates are increasing. This is a management problem, folks.

Insightful post.

PlayerRep said:
The.Real.2506 said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

What do you base that on? The results do not reflect that.

kemajic said:
argh! said:
i was roundly denigrated for asking how bodnar was doing not too long ago
Insufficiently so.

yes, being surrounded by old men with verbal plastic pitchforks and a 1950's mindset wasn't exactly an acceptable response.

bigsky33 said:
PlayerRep said:
The.Real.2506 said:
PlayerRep said:

What do you base that on? The results do not reflect that.

Better 40 time. Better sense of humor. Better bone density.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

What many Bodnar critics don't seem to fully understand is that 'traditional' candidates weren't lining up to apply for this job. As an academic institution, UM was in very, very rough shape. Like him or not, he wanted to take on these challenges. And he's doing a great job.

"Traditional" candidates were what got UM into this hot mess in the first place.

AZGrizFan said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

"Traditional" candidates were what got UM into this hot mess in the first place.

do you make decisions for your business based on n=1 studies?

Catsrgrood said:
Love it. I get it’s the griz board and it’s to be expected.

But MSU’s enrollment drops by less than a half of a percent and UM’s drops again by 7%, but the title of the thread is about MSU’s enrollment dropping...

While technically not false, it’s funny you lead with that PR.

And for the record, I’m not someone enjoying UM’s plummeting enrollment, I don’t think that’s good for the state as a whole. I like to see both schools doing well.

We've all known UM's enrollment was dropping. The lead story is MSU's dropping, because that has NOT been the case in recent years. It's not that complicated.

griz4life said:
Just curious where you got the information about Tech outranking MSU in engineering for years? What criteria are you referring to? job placement? starting salary? Academics? just wondering.
It seems to me that they are two quite different types of schools. Petroleum and Geological engineering for Tech and traditional mechanical, electrical, civil, chemical for MSU. I know MSU offers PhD programs for those curriculum but I am not sure bout Tech.

PlayerRep said:
The.Real.2506 said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

if you believe that; you are as stupid as I thought you were :thumb:

Back