• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Momberg lands....

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
Box and HandBasket,

12 has said that the UW/Cat transfer has low IQ, without any basis whatsoever for saying that (as verified by the Cat fan, and I agree), and the fact that he played on the Rez should have been a red flag to Sprinkle and me. To me, red flag means that Sprinkle shouldn't have taken him because he came from a reservation.

How does that not show prejudice against Native Americans?

Since I am Native American, and did grow up for 12 years on a reservation, and worked on the res every summer into college, and still go to our family ranch frequently, I can assure you that 12's words have offended me and I believe he has shown ignorance and prejudice towards Native Americans.

Slippery slope fallacy on the reservation comment. I don’t know how many times I have to explain what I mean by low IQ, but here we go. By “low iq”, I’m talking specifically about his poor shot selection. In my mind, if a player has poor shot selection, they cannot be a high IQ basketball player regardless of how well they understand other areas of the game. If you have a different way you evaluate a players basketball IQ, that’s fine. But from the way I look at it, he is not a smart basketball player, and won’t be until he can improve his shot selection and discipline. If you’d like to argue he doesn’t have poor shot selection, I’d refer you to his 25% Field goal percentage and 20% for 3. I’d also refer you to watch any of the UW games from the past two seasons. I watched the kid play for two years to form this evaluation. If you disagree with my evaluation, that’s fine, but calling it baseless is just failing to listen to someone who watched the kid plenty of times.

First, you said low IQ, not low basketball IQ. Second, no one, but no one, has agreed with your low basketball IQ comment including Sprinkle. You made that up because he's an Indian from the reservation, in my view.

4 star recruits are not low IQ basketball players.

I don't believe you watched the kid play 10 times. I think you are a liar/exaggerator too, based on this and some other stuff you've said.

Did you see him score 19 against Oregon last season, on 6-11 shooting (4-6 from 3)? In 21 minutes.

Did you see him score 11 against Ore. St. on 4-6 shooting, 12 against Colo., 14 (4-12) against AZ (5-9), 10 against AZ St. (those were 3 games in a row), and then his playing time dropped to 1 minute in the next game; in the prior season? 83 of his 97 shots that season were 3 pointers.

If so, what did you think?

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:
I did quote several of them.

You said you based it off of multiple phrases that are PREJUDICE. We aren’t talking about how you define basketball IQ right now. We’re talking about prejudice. Name them. Name the “multiple” of my prejudiced phrases. You won’t be able to.

You have no basis for saying Battle has low IQ, or low basketball IQ. You said that because you are prejudiced against Native Americans and reservation players. You can squirm all you want, but your prejudice is clear to me.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:
Slippery slope fallacy on the reservation comment. I don’t know how many times I have to explain what I mean by low IQ, but here we go. By “low iq”, I’m talking specifically about his poor shot selection. In my mind, if a player has poor shot selection, they cannot be a high IQ basketball player regardless of how well they understand other areas of the game. If you have a different way you evaluate a players basketball IQ, that’s fine. But from the way I look at it, he is not a smart basketball player, and won’t be until he can improve his shot selection and discipline. If you’d like to argue he doesn’t have poor shot selection, I’d refer you to his 25% Field goal percentage and 20% for 3. I’d also refer you to watch any of the UW games from the past two seasons. I watched the kid play for two years to form this evaluation. If you disagree with my evaluation, that’s fine, but calling it baseless is just failing to listen to someone who watched the kid plenty of times.

First, you said low IQ, not low basketball IQ. Second, no one, but no one, has agreed with your low basketball IQ comment including Sprinkle. You made that up because he's an Indian from the reservation, in my view.

I don't believe you watched the kid play 10 times. I think you are a liar/exaggerator too, based on this and some other stuff you've said.

Did you see him score 19 against Oregon last season, on 6-11 shooting (4-6 from 3)? In 21 minutes.

Did you see him score 11 against Ore. St. on 4-6 shooting, 12 against Colo., 14 (4-12) against AZ (5-9), 10 against AZ St. (those were 3 games in a row), and then his playing time dropped to 1 minute in the next game; in the prior season? 83 of his 97 shots that season were 3 pointers.

By the context of my statements, it’s pretty obvious I’m talking about basketball IQ. Pretty sure you shouldn’t be worried about the actual school performance of a kid who got into the University of Washington. Also, 4 star recruits absolutely can be low IQ basketball players. Basketball IQ is a huge part of the reason high ranked kids underperform. Do you think Battle performed to the level of a top 100 recruit at UW? And yes, I have watched him play around the 10 time mark. I watched him play against UM this year. Although UM did play UW his freshman year, I don’t remember if he played that game, and if he did, I don’t remember it. I watched him play against EWU freshman year in which he didn’t play much. I watched 2 games his freshman year, being against EWU and against Arizona in the conference tourney. His sophomore year, I watched the UM game, a home game against WSU, home against Utah, watched him away against Utah, and watched him play against Oregon as an attempt to scout UW before the game against UM. He played pretty well that game from what I remember. Those are 7 games i for sure watched. I watched a lot of UW these past 2 years and I’m pretty sure he played in some other games I watched, but those are the ones I remembered. Not sure why you’d think I’d lie about watching him play, especially with how many ties the Griz have to the PAC-12 coaching wise. UW was particularly interesting to me because I’m selfishly rooting for Hopkins to keep his job so DeCuire stays.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:
You said you based it off of multiple phrases that are PREJUDICE. We aren’t talking about how you define basketball IQ right now. We’re talking about prejudice. Name them. Name the “multiple” of my prejudiced phrases. You won’t be able to.

You have no basis for saying Battle has low IQ, or low basketball IQ. You said that because you are prejudiced against Native Americans and reservation players. You can squirm all you want, but your prejudice is clear to me.
Never stated he had low IQ. Stated he had low basketball IQ. Watch some of the UW games from these past two years for me, and tell me what your opinion is.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

By the context of my statements, it’s pretty obvious I’m talking about basketball IQ. Pretty sure you shouldn’t be worried about the actual school performance of a kid who got into the University of Washington. Also, 4 star recruits absolutely can be low IQ basketball players. Basketball IQ is a huge part of the reason high ranked kids underperform. Do you think Battle performed to the level of a top 100 recruit at UW? And yes, I have watched him play around the 10 time mark. I watched him play against UM this year. Although UM did play UW his freshman year, I don’t remember if he played that game, and if he did, I don’t remember it. I watched him play against EWU freshman year in which he didn’t play much. I watched 2 games his freshman year, being against EWU and against Arizona in the conference tourney. His sophomore year, I watched the UM game, a home game against WSU, home against Utah, watched him away against Utah, and watched him play against Oregon as an attempt to scout UW before the game against UM. He played pretty well that game from what I remember. Those are 7 games i for sure watched. I watched a lot of UW these past 2 years and I’m pretty sure he played in some other games I watched, but those are the ones I remembered. Not sure why you’d think I’d lie about watching him play, especially with how many ties the Griz have to the PAC-12 coaching wise. UW was particularly interesting to me because I’m selfishly rooting for Hopkins to keep his job so DeCuire stays.

You can't remember much about him in the UM game this year. He played 20 minutes. Shot 4-8. Had 6 rebounds. He was the 4th leading scorer and second leading rebounder. Man, you ought to pay more attention.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

You can't remember much about him in the UM game this year. He played 20 minutes. Shot 4-8. Had 6 rebounds. He was the 4th leading scorer and second leading rebounder. Man, you ought to pay more attention.

Yes I do. I remember the game precisely. It’s the freshman year game I don’t remember. Can’t even recall if he played in that game. As for his game this year against UM, he seemed more confident than the other games I watched. Was quicker to make a move on his defender. Less settling for contested jumpers. Was attacking the offensive glass. Still made a few plays that showed his lack of situational awareness by giving up the Whitney 3, but if Sprinkle can get that Battle consistently, he will be a fine addition. It’s just a matter of bringing that RaeQuan Battle, and not the more tentative, hesitant RaeQuan Battle out more often.

From my initial reaction to the Battle transfer in the Big Sky transfer thread:
“ I’m not sure how I feel about this one. Averaged just 4 PPG on 25.6% from the field and about 20% for 3 on a pretty bad UW team. I’m not sure if we pursued him, but he does not look appealing on paper. For the record, Battle didn’t play a bad game against us, he had 8 Pts on 50% FG.”
Goes to show I had the same opinion about Battle long before the Momberg issue ever came about, and long before you ever accused me of being prejudice.

Alright, apparently I have to go in depth to why I have repeatedly called RaeQuan Battle a low IQ basketball player. No, PR, this is not a baseless claim. I told you I have watched a decent amount of him these past two years, and my suspicions were confirmed when taking a deep dive into his statistics.

Battle this season:
5 Assists:17 TOS 0.29 AST/TO ratio
4.6 PPG, on 25.6 FG% and a little over 20% for 3
Offensive Rating of 69.0, lowest of any rotation player for UW, with the second lowest being a full 12 points higher at 81.4
Defensive Rating:111.8, about average for UW
PER of 2.8. Lowest by a large margin of any rotation player for UW, likely one of the worst marks in all of college basketball this season, and maybe ever
True Shooting%: 35.3% lowest of any player on the UW roster, in the rotation or not
eFG%:32%, again the Lowest on the roster
Usage Rate:22.4%, above average on the UW roster. Means 22.4% of UW possesions when he is on the floor end in a shot, assist, or turnover from him. Not a good thing when looking at his AST/TO and Fg%.
Offensive Win Shares: -0.5, worst on the roster. Basically means he “lost” them half a game. Pretty rare to see a negative number here for a rotation guy
Defensive Win Shares:0.1, about average for UW.
Box Plus Minus: -4.7, all of the UW players are bad here except Jamal Bey and Quade Green

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/washington/2021.html

Please, PR after reading all this, go ahead, tell me his basketball IQ isn’t bad like I claim. So “baseless”. Please, never talk college basketball again, especially to someone who is actually familiar with college basketball like myself.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

Yes I do. I remember the game precisely. It’s the freshman year game I don’t remember. Can’t even recall if he played in that game. As for his game this year against UM, he seemed more confident than the other games I watched. Was quicker to make a move on his defender. Less settling for contested jumpers. Was attacking the offensive glass. Still made a few plays that showed his lack of situational awareness by giving up the Whitney 3, but if Sprinkle can get that Battle consistently, he will be a fine addition. It’s just a matter of bringing that RaeQuan Battle, and not the more tentative, hesitant RaeQuan Battle out more often.

From my initial reaction to the Battle transfer in the Big Sky transfer thread:
“ I’m not sure how I feel about this one. Averaged just 4 PPG on 25.6% from the field and about 20% for 3 on a pretty bad UW team. I’m not sure if we pursued him, but he does not look appealing on paper. For the record, Battle didn’t play a bad game against us, he had 8 Pts on 50% FG.”
Goes to show I had the same opinion about Battle long before the Momberg issue ever came about, and long before you ever accused me of being prejudice.

But then you didn’t point out his low IQ and Rez red flag. You probably didn’t know he was Native American then.

UMFan12 said:
Alright, apparently I have to go in depth to why I have repeatedly called RaeQuan Battle a low IQ basketball player. No, PR, this is not a baseless claim. I told you I have watched a decent amount of him these past two years, and my suspicions were confirmed when taking a deep dive into his statistics.

Battle this season:
Offensive Rating of 69.0, lowest of any rotation player for UW, with the second lowest being a full 12 points higher at 81.4
PER of 2.8. Lowest by a large margin of any rotation player for UW, likely one of the worst marks in all of college basketball this season, and maybe ever
True Shooting%: 35.3% lowest of any player on the UW roster, in the rotation or not
Usage Rate:22.4%, above average on the UW roster. Means 22.4% of UW possesions when he is on the floor end in a shot, assist, or turnover from him. Not a good thing when looking at his AST/TO and Fg%.
Offensive Win Shares: -0.5, worst on the roster. Basically means he “lost” them half a game. Pretty rare to see a negative number here for a rotation guy
Box Plus Minus: -4.7, all of the UW players are bad here except Jamal Bey and Quade Green

Please, PR after reading all this, go ahead, tell me his basketball IQ isn’t bad like I claim. So “baseless”. Please, never talk college basketball again, especially to someone who is actually familiar with college basketball like myself.

He doesn’t have a low IQ. You are just an internet guy who thinks he knows something about basketball. That’s what I have said all along. I will take Sprinkle’s view over an internet jockey who never played the game anytime. Speaking of low IQ.

Let’s see your explanation for why no one from the Rez should ever be recruited.

12, here is one of your “astute” posts in from Dec 2018. Yours is the second post. Brown and Egun Wilber next Rorie and Oguine. Kramer. Pretty funny. Speaking of low basketball IQ. Ha.

“ We will be young but we will have a good team coming, Freddy and Egun are going to be the next Rorie and Oguine (remember when they were FR.) Carter will surprise people and Falls......well he is. I have enjoyed the show for 4 years, I'm going to let it ride and then worry about it.

12: 100% agree with that. I for one think the best is still ahead of us. Owens and Carter-Hollinger are two phenomenal wing recruits, paired with a good 3 point shooter and true point guard in Vazquez, along with young bigs in Anderson, Kramer, and Carter, and a good future guard duo in Egun and Brown. This team is still loaded with potential, even after this group of seniors leaves.”

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:

Battle this season:

He doesn’t have a low IQ. You are just an internet guy who thinks he knows something about basketball. That’s what I have said all along. I will take Sprinkle’s view over an internet jockey who never played the game anytime. Speaking of low IQ.

Let’s see your explanation for why no one from the Rez should ever be recruited.

When did I say that? Please, tell me when I said no one from the Rez should be recruited.

PlayerRep said:
12, here is one of your “astute” posts in from Dec 2018. Yours is the second post. Brown and Egun Wilber next Rorie and Oguine. Kramer. Pretty funny. Speaking of low basketball IQ. Ha.

“ We will be young but we will have a good team coming, Freddy and Egun are going to be the next Rorie and Oguine (remember when they were FR.) Carter will surprise people and Falls......well he is. I have enjoyed the show for 4 years, I'm going to let it ride and then worry about it.

12: 100% agree with that. I for one think the best is still ahead of us. Owens and Carter-Hollinger are two phenomenal wing recruits, paired with a good 3 point shooter and true point guard in Vazquez, along with young bigs in Anderson, Kramer, and Carter, and a good future guard duo in Egun and Brown. This team is still loaded with potential, even after this group of seniors leaves.”

Yes, that was before I started following college basketball as much as I do now. If you’d like to talk about the past, go ahead. .

And, by the way PR, Brown is a Native American. You just showed yourself I’m not prejudice by doing all that digging. Nice job.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

When did I say that? Please, tell me when I said no one from the Rez should be recruited.

You said that having played Rez ball was a "red flag". Wasn't that an indication that anyone from Rez ball shouldn't be recruited? You said you disagreed with Sprinkle on the recruitment. Lots of hoops players from reservations have played college hoops, including at UM. If you can't back up what you are saying, then don't say it. I am not going toilet you get away with unfairly trashing Native American kids.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

Yes, that was before I started following college basketball as much as I do now. If you’d like to talk about the past, go ahead.

This post shows that you don't have a clue about basketball, even UM hoops, and can't judge talent. There is no way that you could watch a few UW games, and see/learn enough about someone coming off the bench (someone you didn't know would ever transfer to MSU), and make a determination that the player had low IQ. Why don't you tell us about the IQ of all of the other UW players you watched, or were you only evaluating the Native American kid?

Your views on the 2 Native Americans are off-base and completely uninformed. You have zero credibility. Sorry, but someone who thought Brown and Egun would be as good or better than Rorie and Oquine, shows that he doesn't have a clue about basketball.

Why don't you just stop posting on this subject and the 2 NA's? Then, this discussion will die or be dead. And, the rest of the board can live in peace.

PlayerRep said:
UMFan12 said:
Yes, that was before I started following college basketball as much as I do now. If you’d like to talk about the past, go ahead.

This post shows that you don't have a clue about basketball, even UM hoops, and can't judge talent. There is no way that you could watch a few UW games, and see/learn enough about someone coming off the bench (someone you didn't know would ever transfer to MSU), and make a determination that the player had low IQ. Why don't you tell us about the IQ of all of the other UW players you watched, or were you only evaluating the Native American kid?

Your views on the 2 Native Americans are off-base and completely uninformed. You have zero credibility. Sorry, but someone who thought Brown and Egun would be as good or better than Rorie and Oquine, shows that he doesn't have a clue about basketball.

Why don't you just stop posting on this subject and the 2 NA's? Then, this discussion will die or be dead. And, the rest of the board can live in peace.

That was when I looked at a players interest and drew a conclusion from there. I’m much more knowledgeable about college basketball now, and actually follow the CBB recruiting scene. I obviously didn’t back then. And yes, the main other UW player who stood out as being a low IQ basketball player was Hameir Wright, as well as Erik Stevenson at times. If you’re judging my knowledge about recruiting on a post from 2018, go for it. Absolutely how many games I watched was enough to form a solid opinion. Let’s hear how many UW games you’ve watched these past two years...
My views about Momberg are shared by about every other poser on this board other than yourself.

UMFan12 said:
PlayerRep said:

That was when I looked at a players interest and drew a conclusion from there. I’m much more knowledgeable about college basketball now, and actually follow the CBB recruiting scene. I obviously didn’t back then. And yes, the main other UW player who stood out as being a low IQ basketball player was Hameir Wright, as well as Erik Stevenson at times. If you’re judging my knowledge about recruiting on a post from 2018, go for it. Absolutely how many games I watched was enough to form a solid opinion. Let’s hear how many UW games you’ve watched these past two years...
My views about Momberg are shared by about every other poser on this board other than yourself.

You still don't understand basketball. Self-taught on the Internet, and now know more than Sprinkle. Pretty funny. Few posters have said what they think about Momberg 5'8" sure isn't too short to be a D-I guard. I'll take what the Western coach said about Momberg over you or anyone on the board. "“We are excited to add Joelnell to our family,” Woolley said in the release. “She is an elite shooter who has a tremendous work ethic and a very high basketball IQ. Bulldog fans will enjoy watching her for the next four years and I can’t wait to coach her.” She is also a good ball handler and passer, and works well with getting teammates involved.

I'd hope the Bulldog coach and fans are excited to get a player that was recruited to UM. Just like Carroll was excited to get Pickens last year. What's your point Mr. Basketball Knowledge?

Still waiting for that head coach that comes out and says, "Yeah, we signed them, but they're really not that great and we aren't all that excited about it. We really just settled for a warm body to fill out the roster!" :roll:

Back