• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Missouri State...How in the ....

fltheadgriz

...blue blazes are they going to the FBS?
i thought they had to have so many in attendance every year in order to go up, which i doubt they were able to do?
Also so many wins. Looks like they have been middle to bottom of the conferenace of the Missouri Valley.
i don't get it

Last edited:
You thought wrong. What's to get, it is about $$$.
Well obviously I did, but being middle to bottom of the FCS, then going to the FBS, truly what incentive is there? Were they tired of getting blasted by NDSU and SDSU all the time so now they can get blasted by FBS?////
Wait a second, they are going to Conference USA and the only good teams there are Liberty and Sam Houston State...I get it now....get pummeled by former FCS teams in an FBS division on TV will help with recruiting and morale!!!!!

Well obviously I did, but being middle to bottom of the FCS, then going to the FBS, truly what incentive is there? Were they tired of getting blasted by NDSU and SDSU all the time so now they can get blasted by FBS?////
Wait a second, they are going to Conference USA and the only good teams there are Liberty and Sam Houston State...I get it now....get pummeled by former FCS teams in an FBS division on TV will help with recruiting and morale!!!!!
It is about the money. It doesn't matter whom they are getting blasted by, it is about the bottom line.

That was a great look at what it really means for them. An awful lot of costs that I don't see them getting back in a decade.

...blue blazes are they going to the FBS?
i thought they had to have so many in attendance every year in order to go up, which i doubt they were able to do?
Also so many wins. Looks like they have been middle to bottom of the conferenace of the Missouri Valley.
i don't get it
They eliminated the attendance requirements in 2023. I think they wanted schools to pay the fee and make the jump because they knew the big guys were leaving.

And meanwhile here we sit.

Quick question for those in the know: will our big rivalry game against the Augsburg Auggies always be the final week of the season?

It is about the money. It doesn't matter whom they are getting blasted by, it is about the bottom line.
This is correct. As one twitter person quipped, if you're going to finish last in your league no matter what league you are in, might as well get paid FBS money to do it.....

To be fair, Missouri State made the playoffs in 2021, but hasn't won much since then.

The factor that is hard for people to grasp is that you get paid more money to win 0 games in the FBS than you do win it all in the FCS. The thing that makes programs like Montana, Montana State, North Dakota State generate sustainable revenue is the draw at the gate - ticket sales. Otherwise, the Montana schools are making next to nothing football when it comes to TV revenue etc.

Does Conference USA have some crazy $25 million a year per school TV deal? No, of course not. But the most recent Conference USA TV/multimedia deal does pay each member school $800,000 per year, which is about 8 times what the Montana schools make yearly on TV and I'm sure superior to what Missouri State was making in the MVFC.

With only $800,000 of annual tv money, and some guarantee game fees, I wonder why MS says that the move will eventually be revenue neutral. Note that revenue neutral doesn't mean they will be netting more money in FBS.

With only $800,000 of annual tv money, and some guarantee game fees, I wonder why MS says that the move will eventually be revenue neutral. Note that revenue neutral doesn't mean they will be netting more money in FBS.
FBS teams, even bad ones in C-USA, generally get paid more for "bodybag" buy games at P5 or high-end G5 schools than top-end FCS teams do. Sometimes by twice as much. Our last "buy" game against Washington netted us $675k while NMSU got $1.85 Million from Auburn to kick their ass last season. That's where the extra revenue comes from. And they're trying to get it while they still can before the P4 splits off.

"The only non-conference home game this upcoming season will be Lindenwood on September 14th.

But Missouri State announced that it has locked down two non-conference series starting in 2025 when the Bears have moved up to FBS.

It’s with Southern Methodist out of the Atlanta Coast Conference and Marshall out of the Sunbelt.

This is what the non-conference looks like for 2025:

–at Arkansas on August 30th.

–at Marshall on the September 6th.

–SMU on September 13th will mark the first time an FBS school has played a game in Springfield.

–and then Tennessee-Martin on the 20th."

Back