• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Michael Oguine

maroonandsilver said:
Michael consistently gets the crap knocked out of him in the Big Sky. Can you imagine what those big bodies in the NBA would do to him?
He's an amazing college athlete, but there are just too many amazing athletes out there ... who are 2 to 4 inches taller. I would say he's marginal for the NBA, although I would expect him to at least get a look. Trouble is, if anything, the international game is even more "physical" than the NBA.

maroonandsilver said:
Michael consistently gets the crap knocked out of him in the Big Sky. Can you imagine what those big bodies in the NBA would do to him?

Does he? I haven't noticed that. Is that accurate?

PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:

Basketball was started as a non-contact game. :mrgreen:

A winter conditioning sport, for a reprieve from the brutish conditions of the gridiron.

One has only to look at recent photographs of Will Cherry to see what physical maturity he has developed into. Not suggesting that MO could do the same but from an athletic standpoint I feel michael has more talent than Will had in his college career. And one can never discount heart which both Will and Michael have. Time will tell. Michael Oguine is one of the most outstanding individuals I have ever had the pleasure of being around. Michael will be successful in whatever discipline he chooses.

Sport said:
One has only to look at recent photographs of Will Cherry to see what physical maturity he has developed into. Not suggesting that MO could do the same but from an athletic standpoint I feel michael has more talent than Will had in his college career. And one can never discount heart which both Will and Michael have. Time will tell. Michael Oguine is one of the most outstanding individuals I have ever had the pleasure of being around. Michael will be successful in whatever discipline he chooses.
Spot On!

Couldn’t agree more. His attitude and team contributions will be missed. I would only hope that when he decides to hang up his sneakers he will return to Missoula because our community needs young men of his caliber.

citay said:
I've long felt MIchael Oguine lacked one quality from being a second-round NBA pick:

A big ego.

During his tenure at Montana, Oguine has been all about the team. No matter Rorie was the pre-season Big Sky MVP. Or Pridgett started to pile up Player-of-the Week awards. As long as Montana was winning--and we were--Oguine was happy. His numbers were secondary.

Defensive player of the Year in the BIg Sky? Faint praise! Like saying Ali could fight off the ropes. Or Stevie Ray Vaughn was a guitar player. Oguine has the quickest first step I've seen this side of the NBA. His slashes to the basket are unstoppable. He's often our leading rebounder--from the guard position. And as Krslovic said last night, you just don't see his kind of athleticism in the Big Sky Conference.

But last night, with Pridgett off his game and Rorie M.I.A., we got a glimpse of the all-round talents of Oguine. He could not be denied; he willed us to victory. Every element of his game was on full display. And it was a performance of undiluted beauty.

I hope our p.r. department sends a tape of this game to every NBA team. I hope our coaches are using every available contact to make NBA teams aware of Oguine's talents. Because if he wants to continue his career in basketball, of this I am sure from watching so many Warriors games: There's only one place Oguine should be playing.

The NBA.

You lost almost all your cred if you,honestly, want to argue that Michael is an NBA player,citay. To quote John McEnroe "You CAN NOT be serious!"

Yo, Zirg! Ya got me on that one. Caught me in a moment of exhilarated suspension of rational analysis. To that, I plead guilty.

To make it to the NBA, you have to check a lot of boxes, and Oguine checks some: Athleticism (quickness, hops, explosive first step), and Defense (NBA coaches love defense.)

But not others: Shooting (an absolute must to play in the NBA); Size (point guard is the only position where he qualifies); and Handle (ball-handling skills that dazzled us in another era are almost routine in today's NBA game, as in Exhibit A, Steph Curry.)

But if you'd read other of my posts--and I know, your lips get tired--you'd remember that in other threads I said, first, if our coaches wanted to prepare him for the NBA, they'd move him to the point; and second, if Michael truly wanted to go for it, he should spend his summers shooting hundreds of shots a day, as has Pascal Siakam of the Raptors, until he became a consistent outside threat.

In order, none of these things happened.

Of course we had Rorie at the point, so Oguine was not moving there.

But more than that, where the NBA is the only ticket to success for many players, for Oguine it is not. He's smart and well-educated, with a business degree and a bright future in almost any career he chooses. Without knowing him, he comes across as a young man with interests well beyond the gym--well beyond shooting a basketball or improving his handle. I still believe he possesses incredible athletic talent, if not the inner drive to bring his skills to the NBA level.

Meantime, I'll be keenly interested to see if he chooses to play basketball professionally, abroad. For that he is already qualified.

citay said:
Yo, Zirg! Ya got me on that one. Caught me in a moment of exhilarated suspension of rational analysis. To that, I plead guilty.

To make it to the NBA, you have to check a lot of boxes, and Oguine checks some: Athleticism (quickness, hops, explosive first step), and Defense (NBA coaches love defense.)

But not others: Shooting (an absolute must to play in the NBA); Size (point guard is the only position where he qualifies); and Handle (ball-handling skills that dazzled us in another era are almost routine in today's NBA game, as in Exhibit A, Steph Curry.)

But if you'd read other of my posts--and I know, your lips get tired--you'd remember that in other threads I said, first, if our coaches wanted to prepare him for the NBA, they'd move him to the point; and second, if Michael truly wanted to go for it, he should spend his summers shooting hundreds of shots a day, as has Pascal Siakam of the Raptors, until he became a consistent outside threat.

But more than that, where the NBA is the only ticket to success for many players, for Oguine it is not. He's smart and well-educated, with a business degree and a bright future in almost any career he chooses. Without knowing him, he comes across as a young man with interests well beyond the gym--well beyond shooting a basketball or improving his handle. I still believe he possesses incredible athletic talent, if not the inner drive to bring his skills to the NBA level.

Meantime, I'll be keenly interested to see if he chooses to play basketball professionally, abroad. For that he is already qualified.

Oguine and Rorie are each attending open workouts, in which NBA evaluators will be there. Coach Cobb stated at the Ronan GSA event, each are training and prepping for the NBA. There is interest in each by decision makers.

Keep in mind, Oguine's athleticism does allow him the ability to play off guard. A few years back, Nate Robinson played some minutes at off guard. Also many teams, for limited minutes, use 2 smaller athletic guards.

I won't be surprised to see Oguine get a G League offer. He has great work ethic. His athleticism and personality will give him an opportunity to run with. Let's not sell him short.

mtgrizrule said:
citay said:

Oguine and Rorie are each attending open workouts, in which NBA evaluators will be there. Coach Cobb stated at the Ronan GSA event, each are training and prepping for the NBA. There is interest in each, by decision makers.

Keep in mind, Oguine's athleticism does allow him the ability to play off guard. A few years back, Nate Robinson played some minutes at off guard. Also many teams, for limited minutes, use 2 smaller athletic guards.

I won't be surprised to see Oguine get a G League offer. He has great work ethic. His athleticism and personality will give him an opportunity to run with. Let's not sell him short.

PlayerRep said:
maroonandsilver said:

I guess you didn't notice him getting flattened at Idaho and missing the next weekend's games. Then in his next game back, at MSU, him getting laid out again early in the game, and you didn't hold your breath like most of us as he struggled to get up and shake it off.

Back