• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

McDowell Says

Intresting, would all 3 QB’s line up in a shotgun wing formation? Maybe a power I and pitch to one of the others? Or a QB in motion? So many possibilities.
You would have to ask HHB how he sees it. I would put one in as QB, one as running back and one in stands to evaluate who is the starter.

Intresting, would all 3 QB’s line up in a shotgun wing formation? Maybe a power I and pitch to one of the others? Or a QB in motion? So many possibilities.
Some Bobfans were claiming they were so stacked at QB years ago that someone named the offense the Human Centipede. Just one behind the other. The craziest thing is they might’ve been correct about being stacked, but they left their NFL QB prospect on the bench. Damn fine coaching.

Oh, he will finish the year with them. This is his last ride, and he has developed quite the chip on his shoulder of wanting to prove something.

What will be interesting to me is if he and Vidlak are starting opposite each other when he plays SFA this year. That would be kind of wild. I know nothing about their personal relationship, but what an odd quirk of fate.
The only thing he has proven is that he is an unreliable QB with an ego the size of the state he moved back to.

Some comments here make me think that a lot of folks haven't toughed out injuries and done the best they could, even though they couldn't athletically performed to their normal level. When you are injured but still trying compete, your body and mind automatically (and intelligently) perform in a more self-protective manner, becuase if you don't adjust, things are going to get a whole lot worse quickly.
If you're injured, and trying to tough it out but playing like he ended up playing, he did more of a disservice for he team than helping. Just my experience. I completely understand the drive competitive people have. I have competed at elite levels and competed with people at the elite level.

Personally, I never felt like he displayed much ego at all. At least, no more than most athletes at his position.
Really? I am not being obtuse when I ask that question. He seemed incredibly full of himself. Maybe it's his personality? I don't want to be a Kevin for no reason.

Really? I am not being obtuse when I ask that question. He seemed incredibly full of himself. Maybe it's his personality? I don't want to be a Kevin for no reason.
Oh, I never take you that way. Maybe I just didn't see it, at least not beyond what I have seen from other guys at the position. I think sometimes he was a bit aloof, and maybe I took it that way and you perceived it in more of an ego way.

I think it was his first or second game, he ran it infor a touchdown, basically untouched. Another series and he runs it in, from my point of view, dropping the ball before crossing the goal line. Defense thought the same thing. Ref rules TD. No conclusive video proof to overturn the call. I thought he was cocky on both plays, and said so on this site.

Obviously the coaches thought he was a safer bet than the backup. The coaches decide who plays and who doesn't. The end.
I think there was some bad communication between players and coaches. Players who 'tuff it out' playing at some fraction of their norm, are not giving good input to the various coaches, who assume 100% able. Calls based on that are doomed to failure. The opportunity to avoid that failure is lost.

If he was hurt, he has a duty to let the coaches know so they can make adjustments to the game plan. Not letting them know is ego driven cockiness, which came back to bite the Griz. Just my pedestrian point of view.

I think there was some bad communication between players and coaches. Players who 'tuff it out' playing at some fraction of their norm, are not giving good input to the various coaches, who assume 100% able. Calls based on that are doomed to failure. The opportunity to avoid that failure is lost.

If he was hurt, he has a duty to let the coaches know so they can make adjustments to the game plan. Not letting them know is ego driven cockiness, which came back to bite the Griz. Just my pedestrian point of view.
I'm not trying to be argumentative but how do you know that communication didn't happen? Bobby saying in the post game presser that Clif wasn't hurt doesn't mean anything because he never talks about injuries ever.

Also, I don't know too many football players at this level that will voluntarily take themselves out of the game if they are able to play. We've seen a myriad of players playing injured, and often because they don't want to sit out, often because their backup just isn't as good as them even injured. There's a lot of factors here and it's easy for us to judge but we don't know all the facts. That's just reality.

Last edited:
Obviously the coaches thought he was a safer bet than the backup. The coaches decide who plays and who doesn't. The end.
...and yet the confidence in the QB room by many on here seems out of balance with this...mine included at times.

I think AY showed great potential last year, but the truth is we know very little about this season's QB (s).

...and yet the confidence in the QB room by many on here seems out of balance with this...mine included at times.

I think AY showed great potential last year, but the truth is we know very little about this season's QB (s).
My post was simply in response to whether it was better to play the (possibly injured) senior starter or the true freshman. Doesn't seem like much of a choice to me. Would we have been in better shape in the QB room if McDowell had stayed? Probably. But he didn't. So we now have a redshirt freshman with a ton of potential and no real experience as well as a transfer with quite a bit of experience and another guy pushing them both. Sorry but I just don't think the sky is falling.

Back