• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

McDowell Says

oldngrizzly

"Remember Clifton McDowell, the quarterback of the Montana Grizzlies who led his team to zero touchdowns in the FCS national championship game against SDSU in January?

McDowell tweeted back in May a clip of him getting flipped over and tackled at the goal line on the final play of the first quarter of the national championship game, commenting 'SDSU had one of the most elite teams in CFB, no doubt, but if I don't get hurt on this play we win the game. Just sayin'.

McDowell stayed in and finished the game, and as you might expect, his tweet drew some amusing reactions from the SDSU side (and around the FCS world)."

Oh yea, this made the rounds here when he said it. Sammy Akem did a breakdown of it on his youtube channel, and that has made the rounds on socials, too.

The odds of winning go up if he was out there, of course. But to say we would have definitely won is quite the stretch.

It was brought up on here immediately. Akem commented on it the next day in his YouTube content. The griz fan base is right on board with jackrabbit fan base from the responses I saw. He could have stayed and backed this comment up. He didn’t. The game ended with zero td’s and a national runner up finish. He did a hell of a job igniting this team and we wouldn’t have been in that game without him. We almost weren’t in that game with him healthy though. He withered down the stretch and regressed. If it weren’t for Junior’s heroics we wouldn’t have been. He should focus on McNeese and whatever the he’ll rivalry they have or call it and enjoy finishing last in the Southland or whatever conference they play in.

Over under on if he finishes the year with them?

It was brought up on here immediately. Akem commented on it the next day in his YouTube content. The griz fan base is right on board with jackrabbit fan base from the responses I saw. He could have stayed and backed this comment up. He didn’t. The game ended with zero td’s and a national runner up finish. He did a hell of a job igniting this team and we wouldn’t have been in that game without him. We almost weren’t in that game with him healthy though. He withered down the stretch and regressed. If it weren’t for Junior’s heroics we wouldn’t have been. He should focus on McNeese and whatever the he’ll rivalry they have or call it and enjoy finishing last in the Southland or whatever conference they play in.

Over under on if he finishes the year with them?
Oh, he will finish the year with them. This is his last ride, and he has developed quite the chip on his shoulder of wanting to prove something.

What will be interesting to me is if he and Vidlak are starting opposite each other when he plays SFA this year. That would be kind of wild. I know nothing about their personal relationship, but what an odd quirk of fate.

Oh yea, this made the rounds here when he said it. Sammy Akem did a breakdown of it on his youtube channel, and that has made the rounds on socials, too.

The odds of winning go up if he was out there, of course. But to say we would have definitely won is quite the stretch.
So, I have a slightly different take on this. Not in the end result, but in the mentality it takes to post it. I've ran in some circles with some great players in a different sport in a past life. They all had one thing in common that I found interesting: If something went wrong, it wasn't their fault. Wind came up, lie was bad, bad bounce, shitty greens, etc. It's like a coping mechanism. I was the opposite. I thought I was taking accountability, but I was beating myself up mentally. I think it made me worse. It's like a professional boxer; they have to believe they are the greatest even if they're not. Otherwise, you get knocked out. And if they do get knocked out, something was off, and they're still the greatest. Or, like a pitcher who thinks he would've won but-for his defense making errors and ignoring the fact that he hung three breaking balls. They have to think that way (to themselves).

I view Clif's tweet in the same light. I'm not saying he's amazing; I'm just saying that he'd probably be worse if he didn't truly believe what he tweeted. The "right or wrong" of it really isn't the point, IMO.

So, I have a slightly different take on this. Not in the end result, but in the mentality it takes to post it. I've ran in some circles with some great players in a different sport in a past life. They all had one thing in common that I found interesting: If something went wrong, it wasn't their fault. Wind came up, lie was bad, bad bounce, shitty greens, etc. It's like a coping mechanism. I was the opposite. I thought I was taking accountability, but I was beating myself up mentally. I think it made me worse. It's like a professional boxer; they have to believe they are the greatest even if they're not. Otherwise, you get knocked out. And if they do get knocked out, something was off, and they're still the greatest. Or, like a pitcher who thinks he would've won but-for his defense making errors and ignoring the fact that he hung three breaking balls. They have to think that way (to themselves).

I view Clif's tweet in the same light. I'm not saying he's amazing; I'm just saying that he'd probably be worse if he didn't truly believe what he tweeted. The "right or wrong" of it really isn't the point, IMO.
Chael Sonnen encapsulated it really well after he retired. He said that to be a great fighter, you have to truly be the action hero in the movie that plays in your head. If you let doubt creep in, it never leaves your mind in the biggest moments. I think you make a strong point.

"Remember Clifton McDowell, the quarterback of the Montana Grizzlies who led his team to zero touchdowns in the FCS national championship game against SDSU in January?
Remember 11 dudes in montana jerseys that couldn’t score a single TD against far and away the best FCS team in the country in the national championship game where the best two teams in the country play? I do but I’ve moved on and I’m ready for the next year to begin.

I was to busy eating that sweet corn so I missed it.But thanks for filling me in. Contrary to what some might post I am not knocking him.Well maybe a little but found it interesting about his claim of being injured.There was some speculation to that effect but did not know it was true.I think of Mohammed Ali " I am The Greatest "a little when I read Cliff's post.I admired him and was a big fan.He was the greatest.

Last edited:
Chael Sonnen encapsulated it really well after he retired. He said that to be a great fighter, you have to truly be the action hero in the movie that plays in your head. If you let doubt creep in, it never leaves your mind in the biggest moments. I think you make a strong point.
Ironic we are talking about uncle Chael on egriz as he is boxing Anderson Silva tomorrow…

Back in 82 if coach would have put me in we would have won state.

I was to busy eating that sweet corn so I missed it.But thanks for filling me in. Contrary to what some might post I am not knocking him.Well maybe a little but found it interesting about his claim of being injured.There was some speculation to that effect but did not know it was true.I think of Mohammed Ali " I am The Greatest "a little when I read Cliff's post.I admired him and was a big fan.He was the greatest.
Comparing Ali to Clif? 🤣
Ali did it, World Champion multiple times. He didn't come up with some excuse, like the examples CDA gave. What Clif excelled at was amassing travel stickers on this suitcase.🧳

"It ain't bragging if you can do it." -- Dizzy Dean

Comparing Ali to Clif? 🤣
Ali did it, World Champion multiple times. He didn't come up with some excuse, like the examples CDA gave. What Clif excelled at was amassing travel stickers on this suitcase.🧳

"It ain't bragging if you can do it." -- Dizzy Dean
The bragging part and thinking he is the greatest of all time- for Cliff that's one he will not prove like Ali did

4b200b54-6be2-47c2-a08e-36d5df06ff60_text.gif

Latest posts

Back