• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

McDowell back in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we cross this bridge next time a Griz player declares for the draft, withdraws, and wants to return.

Like if a guy enters the portal to try to go to the next level and asks to come back before he signs at the next level? Something like that?

He quit the Griz so he could show his videos to FBS teams, to show all of them just what he could bring to their program, right? His words. Temple was the only one interested. So, WHY ain't he bangin' on their door to let him back in?

Temple's web site pegged him as the front runner for QB. Now, he wants some consideration from the first team he quit this year, and presumably the second, also. Something stinks to high heaven here, and it's coming from him.

I don't doubt his ability, but his judgment and rationale for what he has done throughout his football career raises red flags with me(six 'commitments,' five schools).

If he wants to play football another year, great. He should walk-on at a DII or NAIA school, and PROVE HIMSELF. But, I don't want him suited up for some team the Griz are playing. After all, I am a practical fan. 'Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.'

If he was a used car, and you were in the used car market🙄, you wouldn't touch this high mileage, multiple owner lemon with a ten foot pole.

I don’t see a material difference and I guess I can’t explain my point any better than I did on the previous page.
If you look at the players that withdraw from the draft, you will see that almost every young man that doesn't enter the portal will return to the school they were attending. The times that the kid enters the portal along with testing the draft, when they withdraw, they usually end up elsewhere. In these cases, the original school already has an idea whether the kid may be back. If the kid enters the portal, you move on. This is exactly what Bobby does.

If you look at the players that withdraw from the draft, you will see that almost every young man that doesn't enter the portal will return to the school they were attending. The times that the kid enters the portal along with testing the draft, when they withdraw, they usually end up elsewhere. In these cases, the original school already has an idea whether the kid may be back. If the kid enters the portal, you move on. This is exactly what Bobby does.
In all these cases without names, how many players have asked to come back before signing elsewhere?

Enter draft and sign=obviously gone
Enter draft and don’t sign=depends on coach
Enter portal and sign=gone even is you want back
Enter portal and ask back before signing=you’re dead to us because that’s how the cool kids do it.

C'mon, Counselor, you can't win 'em all. You just got a bad client.

I think I have a few illogical finders of fact in the box. But, that’s how it goes when the jury pool is made up of people who couldn’t get out of duty.

In all these cases without names, how many players have asked to come back before signing elsewhere?

Enter draft and sign=obviously gone
Enter draft and don’t sign=depends on coach
Enter portal and sign=gone even is you want back
Enter portal and ask back before signing=you’re dead to us because that’s how the cool kids do it.
How many kids that enter the portal have the discussion with the coach about coming back prior to entering? This is the question you should be asking. When a kid enters the portal, unless it is a coaching change, the presumption is they are leaving that school for whatever reason. I don't see why any coach would be willing to let them return later, especially after making roster moves based on the defection.

I think I have a few illogical finders of fact in the box. But, that’s how it goes when the jury pool is made up of people who couldn’t get out of duty.

Ostmo said he was retiring and went through senior day I believe. Then changed his mind and was welcomed back. He didn’t enter portal and try to go to another school.

Grossman decided to rehab for year and then come back. Didn’t try to go to another school. Of course, welcomed back.

Neither burned bridges.

Ah, the 'box' can be such a bitch. What you've got on eGriz are the ones who DID get our of jury duty. Can't remember how many times I've been summoned for jury duty, filled out the forms, and SHAZAAM! I get excused. Education, vocation(s), etc. If you're not a mouth breather, you are excused. I doubt your summations are a brief as your posts. Face it, you've got a lousy client. Change your plea to Guilty by Stupidity.

How many kids that enter the portal have the discussion with the coach about coming back prior to entering? This is the question you should be asking. When a kid enters the portal, unless it is a coaching change, the presumption is they are leaving that school for whatever reason. I don't see why any coach would be willing to let them return later, especially after making roster moves based on the defection.
How many kids who declare for the draft have a discussion with the coach about coming back prior to declaring? Maybe the vast majority? I think the question we should be asking is why can't we treat the situations the similarly? "If you're thinking about the portal/draft, we only ask that you sit down with us first." If that goes well, and the player doesn't sign elsewhere/get drafted, consider taking him back (assuming all other factors check out, i.e., ability/locker room reputation).

It's odd to me that a player can be welcomed back after withdrawing his name from the NFL Draft, but if he enters the portal for even a second, it's fu*k off, traitor. Seems like a distinction without a difference to me. This, again, is more general and not in reference to Clif's situation.

How many kids who declare for the draft have a discussion with the coach about coming back prior to declaring? Maybe the vast majority? I think the question we should be asking is why can't we treat the situations the similarly? "If you're thinking about the portal/draft, we only ask that you sit down with us first." If that goes well, and the player doesn't sign elsewhere/get drafted, consider taking him back (assuming all other factors check out, i.e., ability/locker room reputation).

It's odd to me that a player can be welcomed back after withdrawing his name from the NFL Draft, but if he enters the portal for even a second, it's fu*k off, traitor. Seems like a distinction without a difference to me. This, again, is more general and not in reference to Clif's situation.
Why doesn't the conversation come up between the player and coach prior to entry in the transfer portal...because the player doesn't intend to return, so why would he have the conversation? Why as a coach, would you wait and let a kid have the fallback option if his intent is to leave and not return? If Hauck sat around for 2 months waiting on a kid that doesn't want to be there and misses out on getting quality to replace him, how does that sit with you?

There’s a huge difference between seeking to transfer and declaring for nfl. That’s the point.

Why doesn't the conversation come up between the player and coach prior to entry in the transfer portal...because the player doesn't intend to return, so why would he have the conversation? Why as a coach, would you wait and let a kid have the fallback option if his intent is to leave and not return? If Hauck sat around for 2 months waiting on a kid that doesn't want to be there and misses out on getting quality to replace him, how does that sit with you?
Exactly the conventional thinking. Unconventional thinking could be to tell the departing that he has two weeks (or whatever timeframe works) and you're going to try to find a replacement in the interim. No guarantees of a scholarship or position on depth chart if he wants to return. It would take some more nimble management of moving parts than coaches are probably used to.

It's definitely way easier to have a policy that if you enter the portal for any amount of time, you are dead to the program. But it might not be the most forward-thinking way to make the program the best it can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back