• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

McDowell back in the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
No pity here. Yes, it's unfortunate that Clifton chose to leave UM Football. Allowing players to jump in and out of the portal is nonsense.

You lose a starter two months before spring practice, you get a replacement and move on. You don't welcome that lack of commitment into your team culture and you sure don't start making concessions.
First FCS program that allows it will have a leg up (assuming players want the dude back, etc.). None of us have to like it, but it's the truth. We can't sit here and acknowledge how much things have changed, refuse to change ourselves, but still expect results. Doesn't add up.

First FCS program that allows it will have a leg up (assuming players want the dude back, etc.). None of us have to like it, but it's the truth. We can't sit here and acknowledge how much things have changed, refuse to change ourselves, but still expect results. Doesn't add up.
My understanding is that Cliff was told in exit interviews that the staff was going to add a transfer QB to compete for the job. Seems Cliff didn't like that and entered the portal. If this was the case, I completely understand why BH moved on. Now, I think it is time for everyone else to move on as well.

Some FCS programs have allowed it,
I believe. And certainly the Ivies do.

My understanding is that Cliff was told in exit interviews that the staff was going to add a transfer QB to compete for the job. Seems Cliff didn't like that and entered the portal. If this was the case, I completely understand why BH moved on. Now, I think it is time for everyone else to move on as well.
Good info, thanks. I wonder what went into the decision to deny him when he asked to come back and presumably compete for the job (assuming that story is also true).

If he had a stipulation that he'd only come back if he was QB1, that's a different story. But, if he said he'd come back and compete for the job, three months ago or now, it's dumb not to find room on the roster in my opinion. Agree that the Clif ship has apparently sailed. My posts on this topic were intended to be more general.

Good info, thanks. I wonder what went into the decision to deny him when he asked to come back and presumably compete for the job (assuming that story is also true).

If he had a stipulation that he'd only come back if he was QB1, that's a different story. But, if he said he'd come back and compete for the job, three months ago or now, it's dumb not to find room on the roster in my opinion. Agree that the Clif ship has apparently sailed. My posts on this topic were intended to be more general.
No matter the circumstances, I have zero problem with BH not allowing him back and don't find it dumb at all.

Ok. Well, if I may, he seemed pretty damned committed last season when he led us to our first NC appearance in over a decade. I wouldn't mind seeing that again. Our schools don't commit to a player for more than one year, so why do we expect the player to go above that? It would be great if we had 100 players who bled maroon, but it's not reality. I'm all for having Montana 'Til I Die guys on the team, but when it comes to QB, I don't care if he's just using our program as a platform as long as we win.
I disagree. He bailed when he was told it would be open competition in Spring. Went to another school and bailed in the middle of Spring ball. Probably because he didn't like depth chart there either. Griz brought in a guy because he left. Bringing him back would do nothing but disrupt team chemistry, He played well last year but not good enough to take him back.

Probably gonna be an unpopular opinion, but I would be excited to see him back in Missoula. I've heard the story about him asking to come back and BH saying "no". I think sometimes it can be a good thing to welcome somebody back, especially in light of the comments re: him getting bad advice, etc. We're not discussing a backup punter here. What has it been? Three months? Just act like he never left. 🤷‍♂️
Agreed. If he could be remorseful and admit he'd made a mistake...just don't think BH has it in him though. I'd love to see him back in Maroon and Silver...he made the team better, and the dynamic he added with his legs made the offense much less defendable and predictable.

I disagree. He bailed when he was told it would be open competition in Spring. Went to another school and bailed in the middle of Spring ball. Probably because he didn't like depth chart there either. Griz brought in a guy because he left. Bringing him back would do nothing but disrupt team chemistry, He played well last year but not good enough to take him back.
Yeah, I didn't know he definitely left because he didn't want to compete until HHB gave that info. I get it. I'm just saying if he wanted to come back now to compete (and the players were on board), it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have another capable QB on the roster. You're probably right, though. The players might not want talent that sought other opportunities for a few months.

Yeah, I didn't know he definitely left because he didn't want to compete until HHB gave that info. I get it. I'm just saying if he wanted to come back now to compete (and the players were on board), it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to have another capable QB on the roster. You're probably right, though. The players might not want talent that sought other opportunities for a few months.
I really don't want to relitigate this and I know that many people have butted heads about it, so I'm really NOT trying to throw a molotov cocktail in here, but phrasing of this matters. Of course we all want someone who will compete, and of course we would all hate it if someone said "I want things handed to me and I don't want to compete, or I will take my ball and go home."

But we are dealing with people here, and there is usually grey when it comes to people. Normal people don't say stuff like that. None of us were in that room with the coaches (whoever among them it may be) and Clif, and there were only two people on the phone between a coach and Clif. Maybe put a little humanity on the kid, and put yourself into situations where you have gotten news you didn't want and maybe you don't process it well or communicate. Maybe he really thought this was his team lining up behind him (like it seemed on socials), and maybe he really thought he finally had a staff that was about to tell him that they appreciated him and were trusting him with the future of the program. When he instead heard that competition is always open, maybe he was feeling some hurt and wasn't listening very well. I've done that. Maybe the phrasings were done in a way that the coaches thought they were saying one thing, and he was hearing another.

I doubt there is any path to Clif coming back, but it would be a disservice to him if we on Egriz started spreading a narrative that we knew that Clif "didn't want to compete." He obviously went to a school where he would have to compete for a starting job. He wasn't scared of competition. I have my own theories on what was in his head, but I don't really know. None of us do. But lets not spread a false narrative that we know Clif "didn't want to compete." That is a pretty one-sided take, in my opinon

I really don't want to relitigate this and I know that many people have butted heads about it, so I'm really NOT trying to throw a molotov cocktail in here, but phrasing of this matters. Of course we all want someone who will compete, and of course we would all hate it if someone said "I want things handed to me and I don't want to compete, or I will take my ball and go home."

But we are dealing with people here, and there is usually grey when it comes to people. Normal people don't say stuff like that. None of us were in that room with the coaches (whoever among them it may be) and Clif, and there were only two people on the phone between a coach and Clif. Maybe put a little humanity on the kid, and put yourself into situations where you have gotten news you didn't want and maybe you don't process it well or communicate. Maybe he really thought this was his team lining up behind him (like it seemed on socials), and maybe he really thought he finally had a staff that was about to tell him that they appreciated him and were trusting him with the future of the program. When he instead heard that competition is always open, maybe he was feeling some hurt and wasn't listening very well. I've done that. Maybe the phrasings were done in a way that the coaches thought they were saying one thing, and he was hearing another.

I doubt there is any path to Clif coming back, but it would be a disservice to him if we on Egriz started spreading a narrative that we knew that Clif "didn't want to compete." He obviously went to a school where he would have to compete for a starting job. He wasn't scared of competition. I have my own theories on what was in his head, but I don't really know. None of us do. But lets not spread a false narrative that we know Clif "didn't want to compete." That is a pretty one-sided take, in my opinon
Totally agree. I was just going off of others' info who are apparently more in the know than I am regarding Clif's departure. I definitely didn't mean to spread any narratives. Agree that there likely isn't a path for his return, but I wish there was.

Bad decisions I think he listened to the wrong people who helped him make these decisions. It’s going to cost him big time. I feel sorry for him.

I had never heard he’d been told UM was going to bring in a transfer. What Rico said is what I had heard. I have no good info on this, tho.

From what I understand, the staff went with a "we're open to bringing in more guys to compete with you and Keali'i for the job, you're going to have to earn it again", and Clif took it as "we don't have faith in you anymore, and are looking to replace you", with a mix of outside people telling him he could make significant NIL deals elsewhere, but that's all second-hand stuff.

From what I understand, the staff went with a "we're open to bringing in more guys to compete with you and Keali'i for the job, you're going to have to earn it again", and Clif took it as "we don't have faith in you anymore, and are looking to replace you", with a mix of outside people telling him he could make significant NIL deals elsewhere, but that's all second-hand stuff.
I don’t know who would tell him he could get good NIL elsewhere. Not anyone who had a clue.

Totally agree. I was just going off of others' info who are apparently more in the know than I am regarding Clif's departure. I definitely didn't mean to spread any narratives. Agree that there likely isn't a path for his return, but I wish there was.
Oh, I agree with you. Maybe I should have quoted HHB, I just always quote the most recent person who talked about it. My bad, CDA, I wasn't trying to say that you specifically were the one spreading that narrative, but I see how that could be received that way.

I don’t know who would tell him he could get good NIL elsewhere. Not anyone who had a clue.
There were people. I think that some were not actually real people, but there were people and you are right that they didn't have a clue. I posted some, and most have just viewed it as fake troll accounts. But did the family know that while fake troll accounts were reaching out to them about how they could get Clif money if he bailed on the Griz? We will never know.

Oh, I agree with you. Maybe I should have quoted HHB, I just always quote the most recent person who talked about it. My bad, CDA, I wasn't trying to say that you specifically were the one spreading that narrative, but I see how that could be received that way.
No worries, bro. I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back