• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Maybe yet another reason for Griz decline.

Silvertip

After hearing all the stock reasons why the program is continuing its lackluster performance consider this. While Bob Stitt is not the whole story he may provide a hint at a problem which precedes even him. And that is the quality of the Griz roster and the ability of coaches to know D-1 talent when they see it. Has Stitt, coming from a DII culture where the focal point is producing geologists and petro engineers, ever been in a position of evaluating what a grade A player looks like? If you've spent your life grading sapphires can you do as well with diamonds?

Consider UM's HC's in 'the modern era" since 1986 when Don Read showed up to lead a successful tenure as Griz head guy. From his brief time at Oregon he had coached D-1 talent and he brought some of that recognition to Missoula. The kicker is in looking at his six successors - Dennehy, Glenn, Hauck, Pflugrad, Delaney and Stitt. Only one of them brought any meaningful higher level experience to the job and that was Mick Delaney, an interim pick who spent a decade plus as a Colorado State running backs coach.

Montana may have gotten away with this lack of experience, which has been absent since Read retired, but it just won't work any longer in a much more competitive environment. Montana needs to somehow, given tight money and a dysfunctional president, find the means of bringing in a top FBS assistant who has the knowledge and experience to elevate the level of the Griz roster to where it should be.

Yeah, I can't buy that. First, Bobby Hauck was an assistant coach at both the University of Colorado when they were in the Big 12 and the University of Washington. I would call that higher level experience. Robin Pflugrad also coached at both Arizona State and the University of Oregon. Again, I don't see how that isn't coaching at a high level??

Secondly, as far as the Stitt thing and whether he knows talent or not, it's way too early to tell considering he's only had 1.5 of his own recruiting classes. How can anyone tell when all of the 2016 class is redshirting this season. There's no way to know if he got that class right yet.

The OP is way off the coaches have brought in a lot of talent over the years. As far as stitt goes it is too early to tell. I will say this however, this years group of freshman who are redshirting will play in a national championship game!!!! Montana has a lot of young talent playing now and more young talent in the wings, they get all their scholarships back and the new performance center being built will bring Griz Football back to the top of the BSC and FCS. This year will be the last of the hollow feeling 8-3 regular seasons with two games in the playoffs and a road loss to end the season.

Isn't Justin Green the recruiting coordinator under Stitt? He did play in the NFL, which exposed him to the highest levels of football. Maybe the premise is true for Stitt, but it doesn't apply to the whole coaching staff.

havgrizfan said:
Yeah, I can't buy that. First, Bobby Hauck was an assistant coach at both the University of Colorado when they were in the Big 12 and the University of Washington. I would call that higher level experience. Robin Pflugrad also coached at both Arizona State and the University of Oregon. Again, I don't see how that isn't coaching at a high level??

Secondly, as far as the Stitt thing and whether he knows talent or not, it's way too early to tell considering he's only had 1.5 of his own recruiting classes. How can anyone tell when all of the 2016 class is redshirting this season. There's no way to know if he got that class right yet.

Completely agree with Hav here. The entire 2016 class is on the bench, which is Stitt's first full recruiting class start to finish. You cant possibly say Stitt doesn't know how to recruit DI talent until his recruits start to play.

GRIZFAN20 said:
havgrizfan said:

Completely agree with Hav here. The entire 2016 class is on the bench, which is Stitt's first full recruiting class start to finish. You cant possibly say Stitt doesn't know how to recruit DI talent until his recruits start to play.
I also agree and I would also submit that Delaney may have been the worst recruiter of the bunch.

GRIZFAN20 said:
havgrizfan said:

This. Plus, there were many people, who know better than I, that rated the Griz 2016 class as one of the top in the FCS.

Sometimes I wonder if some of us old Griz fans aren't getting a little fuzzy in the head.

If I am correct, this thread say's Stitt doesn't have the experience to recruit D-1 talent.
My answer is, why do we have so many FBS dropdowns then?

I think we have had too many coaching changes and the new coach always seem to come in with a different offensive strategy.
NDSU has had stable coaching and a consistent offensive approach. When a played is recruited to NDSU he is pretty much guaranteed to know how the program runs it's offense and defense.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
I think we have had too many coaching changes and the new coach always seem to come in with a different offensive strategy.
NDSU has had stable coaching and a consistent offensive approach. When a played is recruited to NDSU he is pretty much guaranteed to know how the program runs it's offense and defense.
Good point. And we really have bounced all over the place. About the only consistency we have had is from DR to MD in the 90s and too lesser degree MD to JG, but since then we have had some pretty dramatic changes from one coach to the next.

NativeGriz said:
Blgs Griz Fan said:
Good point. And we really have bounced all over the place. About the only consistency we have had is from DR to MD in the 90s and too lesser degree MD to JG, but since then we have had some pretty dramatic changes from one coach to the next.

Consistency is a critical factor to build, sustain programs. Difficult to build anything when the desired outcome changes so much in so little time. Coaches, current players, prospective athletes want to have an idea of what is expected.

Silvertip said:
After hearing all the stock reasons why the program is continuing its lackluster performance consider this. While Bob Stitt is not the whole story he may provide a hint at a problem which precedes even him. And that is the quality of the Griz roster and the ability of coaches to know D-1 talent when they see it. Has Stitt, coming from a DII culture where the focal point is producing geologists and petro engineers, ever been in a position of evaluating what a grade A player looks like? If you've spent your life grading sapphires can you do as well with diamonds?

Consider UM's HC's in 'the modern era" since 1986 when Don Read showed up to lead a successful tenure as Griz head guy. From his brief time at Oregon he had coached D-1 talent and he brought some of that recognition to Missoula. The kicker is in looking at his six successors - Dennehy, Glenn, Hauck, Pflugrad, Delaney and Stitt. Only one of them brought any meaningful higher level experience to the job and that was Mick Delaney, an interim pick who spent a decade plus as a Colorado State running backs coach.

Montana may have gotten away with this lack of experience, which has been absent since Read retired, but it just won't work any longer in a much more competitive environment. Montana needs to somehow, given tight money and a dysfunctional president, find the means of bringing in a top FBS assistant who has the knowledge and experience to elevate the level of the Griz roster to where it should be.

He could kick your ass many times over so I wouldn't say that.

fanofzoo said:
Silvertip said:

I think he was referring to Engstrom.

MikeyGriz said:
fanofzoo said:
Silvertip said:

Oh sorry, you could take him.

fanofzoo said:
MikeyGriz said:
fanofzoo said:
Silvertip said:

Oh sorry, you could take him.

Well, Engstrom was wiry tough.

Back