• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kale Edwards in the Portal

I asked another LB how he thought Edwards would do at LB, and he said he didn't know. I'm impressed that so many posters know, and also know he'd be a good outside backer in the NFL.

I don't know much about Edwards and the advice he was or wasn't given about whether he should stay or go or about what his 'ideal' position is. Nor do I know about the conversations the staff had with Edwards about position and role within the program or about his future asperations as a FB player or in an academic career.

I can tell you from a long time coach the defensive side of the football, that scheme fits are a bit blown out of proportion when colleges recruit at the high school level. To the same degree that is true of transitions between the college and the NFL. Does it help players transition if they played in a certain scheme? Absolutely. Would certain schemes high light certain skill sets? Absolutely. The NFL is chalk full of players on the defensive side of the ball that would be considered to be out of position in relationship to what they played in college. Could have the UM retained his services if they'd played him at rush LB and not DE in a 30 front that commonly asked him to play as a 4-3 DE? I don't know. Was he miscast at a DE when he was really Travis Kelce as a TE? Really can't prognosticate that either.

Playing in a 3-4, 4-3 is a difference of schematic tactics but it isn't some sort of absolutist system about how you deploy personnel or skill sets. Most college programs are hardly static in the DL deployment these days, and I think it leans on a bit of a myth that from my perspective that I'd love were purged from our consciousness. UM probably used two dozen different front alignments last year mixing personnel w/ alignment. That put Edwards mostly on the edge or inside shade of the OT quite similar to that of a 4-3. Does the 3-3 deny certain amount counting stats for DL that he might get more access in a 4-3 or 3-4? Maybe, but it sure appeared that the staff were pretty good about taking advantage of his skill sets on the edge last year and allowed him to show out.

Colleges are smart to recruit guys that have multiple homes. Edwards probably could have been a good player at TE, OLB, DE or wherever you put him. Now at the UM did were his services best utilized at DE? I think it was. If it didn't match with the advice or perception of where he wanted to play, it wasn't necessarily about him being DE in a 4-3 or a rush backer in a 3-4, it wasn't a fit for Edwards and not necessarily a failure of the staff to maximize his talent.

If Edwards was or is looking for exposure that is a double-edged sword. He could just as easily transfer to a Group of 5 or Power 5 school and sit. I don't think that is going to be the case, but unless you show out it isn't necessarily going to improve your stock merely because you are at BSU or Washington.

Regardless, I do wish him the best. I think he's going to garner significant interest because of his freak athlete skill set.

I don't know much about Edwards and the advice he was or wasn't given about whether he should stay or go or about what his 'ideal' position is. Nor do I know about the conversations the staff had with Edwards about position and role within the program or about his future asperations as a FB player or in an academic career.

I can tell you from a long time coach the defensive side of the football, that scheme fits are a bit blown out of proportion when colleges recruit at the high school level. To the same degree that is true of transitions between the college and the NFL. Does it help players transition if they played in a certain scheme? Absolutely. Would certain schemes high light certain skill sets? Absolutely. The NFL is chalk full of players on the defensive side of the ball that would be considered to be out of position in relationship to what they played in college. Could have the UM retained his services if they'd played him at rush LB and not DE in a 30 front that commonly asked him to play as a 4-3 DE? I don't know. Was he miscast at a DE when he was really Travis Kelce as a TE? Really can't prognosticate that either.

Playing in a 3-4, 4-3 is a difference of schematic tactics but it isn't some sort of absolutist system about how you deploy personnel or skill sets. Most college programs are hardly static in the DL deployment these days, and I think it leans on a bit of a myth that from my perspective that I'd love were purged from our consciousness. UM probably used two dozen different front alignments last year mixing personnel w/ alignment. That put Edwards mostly on the edge or inside shade of the OT quite similar to that of a 4-3. Does the 3-3 deny certain amount counting stats for DL that he might get more access in a 4-3 or 3-4? Maybe, but it sure appeared that the staff were pretty good about taking advantage of his skill sets on the edge last year and allowed him to show out.

Colleges are smart to recruit guys that have multiple homes. Edwards probably could have been a good player at TE, OLB, DE or wherever you put him. Now at the UM did were his services best utilized at DE? I think it was. If it didn't match with the advice or perception of where he wanted to play, it wasn't necessarily about him being DE in a 4-3 or a rush backer in a 3-4, it wasn't a fit for Edwards and not necessarily a failure of the staff to maximize his talent.

If Edwards was or is looking for exposure that is a double-edged sword. He could just as easily transfer to a Group of 5 or Power 5 school and sit. I don't think that is going to be the case, but unless you show out it isn't necessarily going to improve your stock merely because you are at BSU or Washington.

Regardless, I do wish him the best. I think he's going to garner significant interest because of his freak athlete skill set.
You said there are a lot of things that you don't know. I know even less. Thanks for the post.

His X feed (FKAT) says he is looking forward to an official visit with Marshall. I hate seeing him leave the Griz, but it's better than him staying in conference. It would give me a reason to go watch the Herd play.

I live exactly three miles from Joan C. and haven't gone to a single game. Thought about it. It's sort of tough to get into a program when there is no connection of any type, and they were our rivals once upon a time.

I do make it a point to sport all of my Griz gear on Fridays in the office and have my Griz flags up at the house. I am a marron dot in a sea of ugly green.
I used to be an exec with an ophthalmic surgery company based in Huntington (in the early 1980s). The company name was CILCO, and they were bought by Alcon. I think they still manufacture intraocular lenses there in Huntington.

I asked another LB how he thought Edwards would do at LB, and he said he didn't know. I'm impressed that so many posters know, and also know he'd be a good outside backer in the NFL.
I don’t believe anyone has said they KNOW how he’d do. I’ve personally said how I THINK he’d do…just an uneducated opinion from someone who never played the game past 9th grade.

I don’t believe anyone has said they KNOW how he’d do. I’ve personally said how I THINK he’d do…just an uneducated opinion from someone who never played the game past 9th grade.
Why would a fan know more than a player who played D with him?

2 FBS offers so far (Marshall and Buffalo), I don't see him taking an offer to another FCS school at least initially. Maybe he's holding out hope for a MWC team?

This is a fairly strong statement: “He’s a natural OLB at the NFL.”

There’s no “think” in that sentence.

Edwards didn’t want to play DE.

No, not even close. McDowell was a hired mercenary that attended U of M for one semester. He did an amazing job and will probably go down as one of my top 5 fav Griz QB’s. Kale committed here out of high school, practiced and played for 4+ years, and is now taking a chance to elevate his NFL stock. Playing in a 3 man front as DE for the Griz wasn’t gonna do it. How the heck did you come to that conclusion? You definitely did not understand me correctly.

I used to be an exec with an ophthalmic surgery company based in Huntington (in the early 1980s). The company name was CILCO, and they were bought by Alcon. I think they still manufacture intraocular lenses there in Huntington.
It's not a bad place, reminds me a lot of Missoula, minus actual mountains and water that isn't mud.

He would be better off going to Buffalo than Marshall. He will be one of fifteen LB's at Marshall, if that's where Huff plays him. Huff is a different animal. He will tell players anything to get them to Huntington.

Buffalo lost a couple of LB's to the portal.

Back