• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Josh Vazquez & Derrick Carter-Hollinger 3rd team all State in California

Paytonlives

Staff member
Wow... I knew the Griz got a TWO steals, but geez!!!!

https://twitter.com/CAStarsWay/status/1121851515294113792

Paytonlives said:
Wow... I knew the Griz got a steal, but geez!!!!

https://twitter.com/CAStarsWay/status/1121851515294113792

Carter-Hollinger is with Vazquez on that 3rd team all State list. Quite a haul for the griz

Here are their official write ups from the All-state 3rd team

G ­- Derrick Carter-Hollinger (Foothills Christian, El Cajon) 6-5 Sr.
A model of consistency over the last three seasons for the Knights, Carter-Hollinger also seemed to garner player of the year support in the CIF San Diego Section along with Bryce Pope and Rejean “Boogie” Ellis. That helped him get onto this year’s elite all-state squad, too. A double-double machine, some of Derrick’s top outings included 21 points and 13 rebounds in a loss to Rancho Christian; 24 points, 15 rebounds and four blocks vs. Santa Fe Christian.; and 27 points in a regional playoff loss to Santa Margarita. Carter-Hollinger finished with averages of 17.6 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 4.2 apg, 2.6 spg and 3.1 bpg. Foothills Christian lost in the San Diego Open Division final after winning it last season. Derrick averaged just as many points per game for that team, too.

G ­- Josh Vazquez (Bishop Montgomery, Torrance) 6-3 Sr.

Three CIFSS Open Division teams — Mater Dei, Corona Centennial and Etiwanda — were underclass dominant and the best senior on the other five open entrants deserves a spot on the elite team. Vazquez foots that bill, as the combo guard who can set up teammates or explode in the key for a highlight dunk was the steadying force on a team that suffered injuries to all-state candidate and backcourt mate Gianni Hunt and forwards Will Crawford and Nick Schrader at various points in the season. Vazquez averaged 17.1 ppg, 5 rpg, 6 apg, 4 spg for a team that advanced to the CIFSS Open Division title game, where he kept the Knights close against Sierra Canyon with 19 points and five 3-pointers after scoring 23 points against the Trailblazers in a playoff game as a junior. When he was a sophomore, we coined him “One-Star” for a graphic that appeared on an ESPN telecast and he used that and other perceived slights to fuel his competitive drive. Vazquez was a four-year contributor to four CIFSS Open qualifiers, including the 2017 CIF Open champs, and got bigger and more explosive each season. He turned that skill and competitiveness into a scholarship from Montana, where he’ll join Carter-Hollinger and Crespi’s Kyle Owens.

https://www.calhisports.com/2019/04/26/boys-bb-all-state-2nd-3rd-2019/

There are ten players on each state team... So these honors equate to 2 of the top 30 seniors in the state of California

Again... VERY HIGH Praise

Paytonlives said:
There are ten players on each state team... So these honors equate to 2 of the top 30 seniors in the state of California

Again... VERY HIGH Praise

Looking at all 30 players listed, there are underclassman as well. So they are considered 2 of the top 30 in the whole state, regardless of grade!!!!! WOW!!! Great gets coaches!

And what is Kyle Owens (Another equally good UM signee) doing on a Sunday morning????
Again, TD made a killing with these three.

https://twitter.com/Coach__Tucker/status/1122582782541090817

Let's give this some perspective.

The state of California has a population of 39.56 million. To recruit to Montana two players who cracked the top 30 in a state that big, with such long-standing reputation for producing not only major college but professional talent, is beyond remarkable.

I think you could make the case that if these three--dare I say, Fabulous Frosh--had played high school ball in the state of Montana, they'd be among the top thirty players ever to come out of the state of Montana.

I know we've had great players don the Griz uniform through the years, and we could easily rattle off all the names. But you'd have to go back to the Fabulous Frosh class of Ray Howard, Zip Rhoades and Al Dunham to equal this.

And I think Kyle Owens, who did not make the top 30, could wind up being the best of the three.

Back