• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Ivy league cancelling fall sports?

Unnecessary Fear? When the virus has killed 500,000 worldwide and 130,000 in the United States, concern or fear about the virus is unnecessary? When the NCAA is considering moving football to the spring and there are concerns about the long term damages from the virus, you still think concerns are unnecessary. I realize you are a Bobcat, but wake up Cats!

Spanky2 said:
I realize you are a Bobcat, but wake up Cats!
Ouch. That one really stings. Please try to take it easy.

Hey, I've said all along if you choose to be very fearful of this virus I don't blame you. We're not all the same. By all means, do everything necessary to keep yourself alive. If that means not going outside for a year, so be it. I don't fault anyone for that. It's just not how I choose to live.

I know it's taboo to mention any other means of death and compare it to this virus. It's insensitive and doesn't give covid the respect it warrants. But 600,000 Americans will die from cancer this year. And I don't walk around scared to death of getting cancer either. And ya ya ya, I get it. Cancer isn't contagious. But that's not the point you mentioned. You mentioned deaths. If you want to bring up deaths as a way of describing how fearful we should all be.....it's more than fair to mention there's a plethora of other things way more likely to do us in than Covid.

But please, PLEASE keep the personal attacks to yourself. I don't know if I'll be able to get through the day, let alone what I was hoping was going to be a great weekend at the lake. :cry:

Big Sky Commish Wistrcill says during a radio interview that he believes the next four weeks could be the most important in modern college athletics history. Wistrcill: "I'm in the 50/50 mindset on football in the fall...I still firmly believe some type of football will be played this year...what it looks like, that's yet to be determined." Points to the 1st of August as a "decision time" & notes the financial challenges some of his members will face if no fans are allowed into stands. Calls a potential spring season "very difficult," does not think a fall-to-spring move could simply be a "cut and paste" exercise, wonders if a full FCS Playoffs could even be executed.

PAC12 exploring different options as well...
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/07/02/as-coronavirus-surges-pac-12-prepares-for-all-football-scenarios-including-a-spring-season/

At this stage there is zero chance for a “regular “ season. If a team has players test positive the week of a game I doubt the game happens.
Maybe this should just be looked at as a development season for all college football.
Schools practice 1 offense against number 2 defense and visa versa to completely separate the team.
Schedule games only within the state of Montana. Yes than means playing Western, Rocky, Carroll etc and of course MSU.
Short bus trips, keeping within the state. Allows for development of players and if for some reason a game needs canceled it’s no big deal.
The NCAA should not count the year against eligibility. Allows would be s emigre another year Should they wish to return.
Not great but something.

That doesn’t even make sense. I don’t think we will see any football this year. Too many issues with the virus.
I love Griz football. Over many years I have even been called a Griz football fanatic, but I think we have to wait until there is a vaccine.

Fall sports cancelled, no athletic contests until January 1st at the earliest...

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1280955217677344770

Brother Bear said:
Fall sports cancelled, no athletic contests until January 1st at the earliest...

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/1280955217677344770

Shit. Impacts BB as well.

Spanky2 said:
That doesn’t even make sense. I don’t think we will see any football this year. Too many issues with the virus.
I love Griz football. Over many years I have even been called a Griz football fanatic, but I think we have to wait until there is a vaccine.
No, Spank, fanatics, within driving distance, go to the games.

An effective vaccine is not a given, irrespective of time.

OrgonGriz said:
At this stage there is zero chance for a “regular “ season. If a team has players test positive the week of a game I doubt the game happens.
Maybe this should just be looked at as a development season for all college football.
Schools practice 1 offense against number 2 defense and visa versa to completely separate the team.
Schedule games only within the state of Montana. Yes than means playing Western, Rocky, Carroll etc and of course MSU.
Short bus trips, keeping within the state. Allows for development of players and if for some reason a game needs canceled it’s no big deal.
The NCAA should not count the year against eligibility. Allows would be s emigre another year Should they wish to return.
Not great but something.
Idaho and EWU are closer than Rocky.

It would be too risky and dangerous to play and practice fall sports at Dartmouth. The county that Dartmouth is in has had 1 covid death, 16 cases in last month, and a total of 88 cases. Also, has the best hospital between Boston and Montreal.

kemajic said:
OrgonGriz said:
Not great but something.
Idaho and EWU are closer than Rocky.

Are you sure on Idaho?

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:
Football games wouldn't start for over 2 months. Any Covid cases now will be long gone by then.

What schools in Big Sky have Covid cases now?

Missoula County has had very few infections  Missoula County and Gallatin County have each had 1 death.

Gallatin has one person in the hospital.

What are you so afraid of?

Not to mention, everyone making these decisions have known the cases were going to go up! Just like everyone else should have known.

Did some people really not think as we allowed people to start working again and going out again there wouldn’t be more cases? Or that we’re testing far more people than we’ve ever tested? People didn’t think that would result in more cases?

If hospitalizations and deaths start to climb we have an issue. If a few players here and there get the virus (that we know about) is shouldn’t warrant no football in months.

If they decide to not play football, I’d hope it was because there is an actual threat to the well being of the the kids. Not because of public overreaction to cases going up.

Just to get ahead of the curb, we’re going to see cases rise in the coming days too......
Uh no... I remember all of the predictions that it would peter out in the heat of the summer. We are almost certainly going to see a huge spike in the fall with everyone being indoors. Things are going to get much worse before they get better.

indian-outlaw said:
ilovethecats said:
Not to mention, everyone making these decisions have known the cases were going to go up! Just like everyone else should have known.

Did some people really not think as we allowed people to start working again and going out again there wouldn’t be more cases? Or that we’re testing far more people than we’ve ever tested? People didn’t think that would result in more cases?

If hospitalizations and deaths start to climb we have an issue. If a few players here and there get the virus (that we know about) is shouldn’t warrant no football in months.

If they decide to not play football, I’d hope it was because there is an actual threat to the well being of the the kids. Not because of public overreaction to cases going up.

Just to get ahead of the curb, we’re going to see cases rise in the coming days too......
Uh no... I remember all of the predictions that it would peter out in the heat of the summer. We are almost certainly going to see a huge spike in the fall with everyone being indoors. Things are going to get much worse before they get better.
Well we’re watching and reading different things. I know what you’re referencing, but it’s far from all I remember. It was a little blip. More of what I read suggested this thing is going to be awful and terrible. Stick around for a long time. Might see 2nd and 3rd waves. Huge spikes, potential 2nd and 3rd lockdowns. Everything has been pretty doomsday in regards to the virus.

But I do recall some scientists and then trump suggesting that it could be possible that the virus may not be able to survive in warmer weather. Some jumped on the notion while others quickly refuted it.

Dallas Texas Superintendent about high school football.

Garrett Haake
@GarrettHaake
·
47m
DISD’s Hinojosa said high school football is doubtful for the fall: “That’s a true contact sport, I don't see how we can pull that off. There's been some discussion of moving it to the Spring, but we'll have to wait and see. I don't, I seriously doubt that we can pull that off.”

Dartmouth dropped 5 sports today. Mens/women's golf. Men's lightweight crew. Men;s and Women's Swimming/Diving. And 15 staff.

"That drops to 30 the number of varsity teams and will reduce the number of recruited athletes in incoming classes by 10%. A total of about 110 student-athletes are affected. Jobs for 15 staff, including eight coaching positions, also will end.

The change in the number of teams does not alter the college's compliance with federal Title IX regulations, which require equal opportunities for women and men in varsity athletics, Dartmouth President Philip J. Hanlon said in an email to faculty, students, staff, and undergraduate families.

Dartmouth also is permanently closing its Hanover Country Club [which is the Dartmouth golf course, which is right adjacent to campus], which has deficits expected to swell to $1 million a year.

The cuts are projected to save more than $2 million as the school addresses a projected $150 million deficit caused by the COVID-19 pandemic."

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/fltimes/article/latest-dartmouth-eliminating-5-varsity-teams-15-staff

Again, I can't stand Bradley but he references the Ivy League and there's a couple decent articles as live links in this article. Three weeks until August 1st and it is not trending in a positive manner.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/mark-bradley/uga-mcgarity-fall-football-things-are-trending-the-wrong-direction/mhpF8IW70HUt1E8zyrMQuK/

Back