• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

It's official!

AZGrizFan said:
It has GOT to have something to do with the home schedule.

Valpo?
Savannah St?
UNC?

Those are NOT games that are gonna get anybody jazzed up.

Perhaps, but St. Francis, So. Utah, Miss. Val. St., Sac St, ISU in 2016 wasn't exactly a great schedule either. St. Francis, So. Utah and Cats drew more than the EWU game in 2017.

There was some weak/cold weather for a couple of the last games in 2017 too, which probably had some impact. I thought EWU, NAU and even UND were fairly big/good games in 2017, even tho UND was so injured and fading by the time they got here.

St. Francis drew over 26,000 in 2016. That didn't seem like an exciting game coming into the game, I didn't think.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Valpo?
Savannah St?
UNC?

Perhaps, but St. Francis, So. Utah, Miss. Val. St., Sac St, ISU in 2016 wasn't exactly a great schedule either. St. Francis, So. Utah and Cats drew more than the EWU game in 2017.

There was some weak/cold weather for a couple of the last games in 2017 too, which probably had some impact. I thought EWU, NAU and even UND were fairly big/good games in 2017, even tho UND was so injured and fading by the time they got here.

St. Francis drew over 26,000 in 2016. That didn't seem like an exciting game coming into the game, I didn't think.

I would think home opener, no matter who it is, is going to draw well.

I was most surprised by the NAU attendance.....I know there was weather/road issues, but still somewhat surprised.

Don't you think some of it has to be a trickle down from the enrollment issues? I mean really taking the number of students down and factor in their parents, siblings, other close relatives and friends...it has to affect attendance somewhat doesn't it?

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Valpo?
Savannah St?
UNC?

I would think home opener, no matter who it is, is going to draw well.

I was most surprised by the NAU attendance.....I know there was weather/road issues, but still somewhat surprised.

23,160 in 2017. 26,002 in 2016. Home openers.

CatsTruckGriz said:
Don't you think some of it has to be a trickle down from the enrollment issues? I mean really taking the number of students down and factor in their parents, siblings, other close relatives and friends...it has to affect attendance somewhat doesn't it?

Well apparently only football fans stopped enrolling then...

On campus today, not much buzz about or for the game, I recall the excitement for it in 80’s and 90’s. Students not into it the way many of us oldsters were, and still are!

AZGrizFan said:
CatsTruckGriz said:

Be down a lot more than that if they were all football fans, but some no doubt are.

CatsTruckGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
CatsTruckGriz said:

Be down a lot more than that if they were all football fans, but some no doubt are.

Enrollment down 3500....attendance down 3500.....Hmmmmmm

AZGrizFan said:
CatsTruckGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
CatsTruckGriz said:

Enrollment down 3500....attendance down 3500.....Hmmmmmm

I'm talking over the last 5 years or so, there's a lot less bodies around than there was then.

The majority of empty seats are not students...and if all students attend MSU would likely even full their 20000 seats.

Prices and unranked teams hurt and that's the nature of the beast. People will pay the big bucks if it allows them to be "part" of a special team. 6-5, 7-4 level teams will not create that demand. Are fans spoiled? Maybe, but when a team has traditions, best facilities, highest ticket prices etc. make people very demanding customers. The bottom level BSC teams playing in high school level stadiums paying $15 bucks a ticket are used to season ending in mid November.

Get Montana back to top 10, perennial conference contender and playoff runs the seats will fill....if not will soon rival the litter box attendance numbers. Haslam needs to see that in his "big picture"

Ursus1 said:
The majority of empty seats are not students...and if all students attend MSU would likely even full their 20000 seats.

Prices and unranked teams hurt and that's the nature of the beast. People will pay the big bucks if it allows them to be "part" of a special team. 6-5, 7-4 level teams will not create that demand. Are fans spoiled? Maybe, but when a team has traditions, best facilities, highest ticket prices etc. make people very demanding customers. The bottom level BSC teams playing in high school level stadiums paying $15 bucks a ticket are used to season ending in mid November.

Get Montana back to top 10, perennial conference contender and playoff runs the seats will fill....if not will soon rival the litter box attendance numbers. Haslam needs to see that in his "big picture"
Or to put in old fashioned terms: "Just win, Baby!"

I agree with lots of reasons put forth for the declining UM attendance.

Aging season ticket holders -- I know some of them that did not renew this year.
Mediocre team in recent years -- Brawl loss, no BSC Championships, pitiful playoff performance.
Games can be pretty boring -- no real blazing speed, receivers continually run down from behind.
And yet still high ticket prices. For a team that the fans don't "know" will put on a good show.
Poor fall Interstate conditions this fall -- making it easier to watch stress free from lazy boy.

Stitt is winding down his 3rd season at UM. I think over the next few years he'll bring the Griz back to dominance, on the field and in the stands.

Ticket prices may have something to do with it. Price is raised when the product is good i.e. team is winning and may have to be adjusted when the product is not as good. Dont worry the product is improving, at least compared to earlier this year and the end of last year, maybe Stitt will save the U time, effort and money by getting the product back to a premium price level :thumb:

IntuitiveGriz said:

Aging season ticket holders -- I know some of them that did not renew this year.
Mediocre team in recent years -- Brawl loss, no BSC Championships, pitiful playoff performance.
Games can be pretty boring -- no real blazing speed, receivers continually run down from behind.
And yet still high ticket prices. For a team that the fans don't "know" will put on a good show.
Poor fall Interstate conditions this fall -- making it easier to watch stress free from lazy boy.

Stitt is winding down his 3rd season at UM. I think over the next few years he'll bring the Griz back to dominance, on the field and in the stands.
This is one thing I've noticed a change this year; receivers are faster, and the offense is usually more exciting.

More credence to the weather factor affecting this late season attendance: Oct Numbers out...

There were over +30,000 less visitors to Yellowstone National Park this OCT than previously in OCT 2016 -- due to inclement, snowy weather officials announced last night on the tv news.

grizband said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

This is one thing I've noticed a change this year; receivers are faster, and the offense is usually more exciting.

Not fast enough apparently. JLM got run down from directly behind on a long run by a Valpo linebacker short of the goal line. Toure got run down from behind by a CB (from the opposite side of the field) from a team (Savannah State) that is dropping down to Div 2. And Curran got run down from behind versus EWU, even though he had about a 5 yard lead with nothing in front of him but the goal line. Curran has safety speed (not a burner), that's what he was recruited mainly for in college. All three of those should have been easy TDs, but weren't.

Don't get me wrong, these are FANTASTIC PLAYERS, with great athleticism and good speed. Just lack that ultra break-a-way speed. Love them though.

Back