• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Is this the year?

WaGriz4life said:
Mavman said:
Thing is poorgriz only one of those teams should give you any problem and that is EWU. A good to great team should beat the rest handily. Maybe I'm giving Msu too much credit if their fans are concerned with that stretch of games. Don't get me wrong not saying the griz would roll those teams way too many ????? in zootown.
I don't think you are giving Cal Poly enough credit. I agree that they should roll Sac and PSU
Or NAU. We're a collective 1-3 against those two teams in the last two years, and lets be honest....the ONE win was a damned miracle...

EverettGriz said:
Before I answer, I need clarification on a couple of questions I have:

Do 0-0 ties count as national championships?
Would there be any video evidence of the championship?

yes and no

CV Griz Fan said:
Mavman said:
Is this the year MSU wins the national championship??
They have the best offense in the big sky, defense should be better. They have been improving each year for the last 5-6 seasons. will it all come together this year??

The Cats have the best offense in the Big Sky?
The Cat defense is better?
The Cats have been improving the last 5-6 years?

Not one thing you said is true...

This is my view too.

MSU should have a good or very good offense, and it could end up at the top of the conference, but I doubt it. The offense and Prukup were much better when he ran and scrambled last year, but, as I said last year earlier in the season, most smaller qb's who run alot eventually get it hurt. While 200 lbs isn't small, it is usually not enough size for a running qb to avoid injury in the long run. Defensive players are not afraid of 200 pounders and will come up hard and tee off on a qb that size as much as they can. With bigger and tougher qb's, corners and smaller safeties don't come up as hard and tee off as much--as a bigger qb may run over them.

Cat defense will be mediocre or maybe a bit better. Ione is an improvement at DC, but he still has to work with largely personnel.

Cat special teams should be pretty good.

My theory, admittedly based on little, is that MSU tends to start stronger and fade later in the season because they and Ash haven't been in the playoff hunt so consistently to have learned and practiced what Bobby Hauck did and articulated for the Griz. Hauck went out of his way to build steam over the season and avoid peaking too soon. He wanted to be starting to play his best ball in November. He wanted to avoid injuries. He substituted alot and platooned. He didn't let backs like Hilliard and Reynolds carry 25 or 30 times a game until later in the season. He didn't want to play the top FCS teams early in the season; he wanted to play them later in the season, i.e. the playoffs. I don't think he was overly excited about FBS games, but don't know for sure. He liked early season DII games, for developing younger personnel and giving them a chance to get the feel of being on the field (and get motivated to ward hard to get back on the field as the season went on), and for giving the team an easier game. The Cats often seem to gear up for big games early in the season, including fBS game, perform fairly well, and then run out of steam later in the season and certainly the playoffs. In short, he planned and managed for the team to playing its best ball later in the season and in the playoffs. On the other hand, he thought the playoffs made the season too long for the players and coaches. Just too many games for college players.

Spanky that hurt ouch! Cat fan? why I oughta! So who do you guys feel will win the conference?
EWU lost some talent on defense, offense always great.
Poly can't seem to quite get over the hump and win enough games to get a good seed in playoffs.
Msu talented on O as big of question mark on D as Griz are on O.
ISU put up great numbers last year but lose trigger man and don't remember their D striking the fear in hearts of anybody.
Lets talk football Griz football BSC football FCS football

Mavman....I think the Griz will win the conference.
With Ash as coach, I believe the cats will self destruct as usual.

They're my pick to win the conference. I think the conference will end up being...

1. MSU
2. ISU
3. EWU
4. UM
5. Cal Poly
6. UNC
7. Sac State
8. NAU
9. Weber State
10. UND
11. UC Davis
12. Southern Utah
13. Portland State

I can also see the Bobcats losing in the chipper to the likes of Illinois State.

Mavman said:
Spanky that hurt ouch! Cat fan? why I oughta! So who do you guys feel will win the conference?
EWU lost some talent on defense, offense always great.
Poly can't seem to quite get over the hump and win enough games to get a good seed in playoffs.
Msu talented on O as big of question mark on D as Griz are on O.
ISU put up great numbers last year but lose trigger man and don't remember their D striking the fear in hearts of anybody.
Lets talk football Griz football BSC football FCS football
A couple months ago I thought we would need a year before we could realistically have a shot at the conference title, I'm getting more optimistic though. I don't believe the MSU hype, Ash lacks conviction and you can't really "revamp" a defense. Defense is more about having more talent and the right players, its not as schematically driven.

I think ISU is still in the hunt, lost their trigger man but I believe they still have a good group of returning starters. My bet would be either UM or ISU, outside chance to EWU or MSU.

PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Mavman said:
They have the best offense in the big sky, defense should be better. They have been improving each year for the last 5-6 seasons. will it all come together this year??

This is my view too.

MSU should have a good or very good offense, and it could end up at the top of the conference, but I doubt it. The offense and Prukup were much better when he ran and scrambled last year, but, as I said last year earlier in the season, most smaller qb's who run alot eventually get it hurt. While 200 lbs isn't small, it is usually not enough size for a running qb to avoid injury in the long run. Defensive players are not afraid of 200 pounders and will come up hard and tee off on a qb that size as much as they can. With bigger and tougher qb's, corners and smaller safeties don't come up as hard and tee off as much--as a bigger qb may run over them.

Cat defense will be mediocre or maybe a bit better. Ione is an improvement at DC, but he still has to work with largely personnel.

My theory, admittedly based on little, is that MSU tends to start stronger and fade later in the season because they and Ash haven't been in the playoff hunt so consistently to have learned and practiced what Bobby Hauck did and articulated for the Griz. Hauck went out of his way to build steam over the season and avoid peaking too soon. He wanted to be starting to play his best ball in November. He wanted to avoid injuries. He substituted alot and platooned. He didn't let backs like Hilliard and Reynolds carry 25 or 30 times a game until later in the season. He didn't want to play the top FCS teams early in the season; he wanted to play them later in the season, i.e. the playoffs. I don't think he was overly excited about FBS games, but don't know for sure. He liked early season DII games, for developing younger personnel and giving them a chance to get the feel of being on the field (and get motivated to ward hard to get back on the field as the season went on), and for giving the team an easier game. The Cats often seem to gear up for big games early in the season, including fBS game, perform fairly well, and then run out of steam later in the season and certainly the playoffs. In short, he planned and managed for the team to playing its best ball later in the season and in the playoffs. On the other hand, he thought the playoffs made the season too long for the players and coaches. Just too many games for college players.
You miss Bobby don't you?

BigSkyBears said:
They're my pick to win the conference. I think the conference will end up being...

1. MSU
2. ISU
3. EWU
4. UM
5. Cal Poly
6. UNC
7. Sac State
8. NAU
9. Weber State
10. UND
11. UC Davis
12. Southern Utah
13. Portland State

I can also see the Bobcats losing in the chipper to the likes of Illinois State.

No offense but you lost me at #6 please explain??

Mavman said:
BigSkyBears said:

1. MSU
2. ISU
3. EWU
4. UM
5. Cal Poly
6. UNC
7. Sac State
8. NAU
9. Weber State
10. UND
11. UC Davis
12. Southern Utah
13. Portland State

No offense but you lost me at #6 please explain??

I lost him at his last statement too. No way the Cats make the chipper.

IMO in order for Montana to be a legitimate contender they need another defensive tackle. As I see it a power running game will give them fits. ndsu will test it early and often. I honestly believe they will have a good pass defense but will struggle in the trenches. The offense is and will continue to be a mystery but with the players they have on that side of the ball it could be something very special. As it stands Ewu has my vote to win the conference, followed by Montana, isu, cats and poly.
Go GRIZ!!

I don't think MSU is planning on stopping anyone this year. I think we're just hoping to score every time with the occasional 2pt conversion.

Unless something drastic happened this off season (more than promoting Ioane), I think the defense will likely be pretty bad again.

Lots of love for ISU . How come? Is it their coach? offense , defense, program??? Not saying they wont be great I just know nothing about Isu.

Mavman said:
Lots of love for ISU . How come? Is it their coach? offense , defense, program??? Not saying they wont be great I just know nothing about Isu.

A lot of it has to do with Kramer bringing them back to relevance, and then a lot of it also has to do with their great season last year. I don't think one great season sets a trend and I'm not willing quite yet to give them the love that they think they deserve.

Spanky said:
So how long are Msu fans willing to put up with this cycle?? I myself enjoy it but :D

wbtfg said:
I don't think MSU is planning on stopping anyone this year. I think we're just hoping to score every time with the occasional 2pt conversion.

Unless something drastic happened this off season (more than promoting Ioane), I think the defense will likely be pretty bad again.

With the way most college football offenses are drastically changing today, it sounds like the coaches are going to take the approach of.... give them whatever they want until they reach the red zone, then hold them to a field goal try. I think I remember an article where one coach literally said they will probably keep the D starters on the sidelines (Maybe not secondary) until red zone time to keep them fresh. A lot of defenses are going to give up a lot of yards to the high powered Big Sky offenses. Points will be the key, obviously.

Mavman said:
Spanky said:
So how long are Msu fans willing to put up with this cycle?? I myself enjoy it but :D

If we keep winning the Big Sky every couple years or so, winning a playoff game or two every couple years, and at least have the chance to make a run to the title, I'm completely fine with that. Of course we'd all like to be winning the title every year, but unfortunately there is only one team in the country doing that right now. Last year's "meltdown" basically consisted of one game, Cat\griz. As banged up as we were, we took a very good SDSU team down to the wire, but didn't have enough D to hold on. Oh well, was a fantastic game to watch.

PlayerRep said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Mavman said:

This is my view too.

I'll book mark this. Rock solid veteran huge O line, playmaker receivers everywhere, a freakshow NFL caliber TE, excellent RB's, continuity with OC and players finally having multiple years in the system, and Dakota Prukop. We'll definitely be scoring well into the 40's on average once again. D will be the question.

Back