• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Irony of Ironies.

grizindabox said:
Millhoop said:
grizindabox said:
SWXRightNow @SWXRightNow
57s
2H: 9:07 I The Cougs continue to keep their lead in the second half against the Vandals.

Tony Miller leads WSU with 13 pts!
SCORE: 60-41 WSU

18 points with NO plays run for him. Just getting started!! Would’ve done that plus some on a nightly basis in the big sky. Idaho coach said “love how that Miller kid plays” after the game. Travis cut off his nose to spite his face on this one.

Shit happens. For whatever reason, Miller wasn't buying in.

Neither was Alphoso Anderson it seems. Would be nice to have both of them, but only one of the three is running the show so it's irrelevant what we think. So I'll second the box perspective.

Proud Griz Man said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUv8PhzMBOE

Wooden's final season at the helm of the UCLA Bruins, Montana nearly knocked off the Bruins in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. After earning the program's first NCAA win with a victory over Utah State, Montana lost to UCLA 67-64. Erik Hays scored 32 points on 13-of-16 shooting with seven rebounds and six assists in the loss. UCLA went on to win its final NCAA Championship under Wooden, the program's 10th since 1964.

fanofzoo said:
citay said:
griznhel said:
How could you forget McKenzie(sp). Gave UCLA fits + a few others. One of the best games I ever saw.
Agreed. Maybe the best game ever played by a Montana basketball team--certainly on the biggest stage against the most powerful opponent. And, yes, except for Krystkowiak, McKenzie may have been better than anybody else on my list.

Do you think there is a replay of that game somehow ?

Note the play where Eric Hays gets a steal and drives the court for layup and an "and one". The guy knocking the ball loose from the UCLA player is freshman Micheal Ray Richardson. Three years later he would score 20+ per game and be the #1 draft pick of the New York Knicks. But in this game he got either zero or two points--points of contention on this board for years. I thought zero. Somebody else said two.

https://mtstandard.com/sports/richardson-takes-long-road-back-to-montana/article_65030a50-a59a-5856-b0ab-4c231404215e.html

. . . Richardson showed up on the Missoula campus as a skinny 6-4 guard/forward recruited out of the Denver area by UM coaches Jud Heathcote and Jim Brandenburg. Another Mike Richardson was also in the program, a 6-8 forward. And when the Richardsons showed up for practice, the story was, a walk-on from New York, also named Mike or Michael Richardson, had signed up to audition. So, Heathcote and Brandenburg had three of them to choose from. . . . “I think with my experience in it, I’m the best one to go out and meet the kids and tell them that’s not what to do. I know I can’t save every kid, but if I can save one or two, I can make a difference.” Richardson’s struggles were chronicled in an award-winning documentary, “Whatever Happened to Micheal Ray” that was filmed in 2000 and narrated by Chris Rock. The basketball ace said he has not been approached about a biographical movie, but said he might like to write a book about his life. His first trip to Montana might be an early chapter. “Montana gave me a chance to fulfill my dreams and I’m well-known here, so if I can give something back, I will,” he said.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/boxscores/1975-03-20-montana.html

2 points for MRR

citay said:
griznhel said:
How could you forget McKenzie(sp). Gave UCLA fits + a few others. One of the best games I ever saw.
Agreed. Maybe the best game ever played by a Montana basketball team--certainly on the biggest stage against the most powerful opponent. And, yes, except for Krystkowiak, McKenzie may have been better than anybody else on my list.
Uh... Allen Neilsen?

indian-outlaw said:
citay said:
griznhel said:
Uh... Allen Neilsen?

Are you referring to Allan Nielsen? Yes a Griz great and probably 6'7" or 6'8"....but played more a swing forward position along with Craig Henkel and Rodney Brandon. Stroeder was the big man when Nielsen played. Nielsen and Henkel could shoot! Too bad there was no 3 point line back in their day.

Mousegriz said:
indian-outlaw said:
citay said:
griznhel said:
Uh... Allen Neilsen?

Are you referring to Allan Nielsen? Yes a Griz great and probably 6'7" or 6'8"....but played more a swing forward position along with Craig Henkel and Rodney Brandon. Stroeder was the big man when Nielsen played. Nielsen and Henkel could shoot! Too bad there was no 3 point line back in their day.
That's the guy, sorry about the spelling. With the three point line his numbers would be much better. Besides Richardson he was the best I ever saw in a griz uni.

AllWeatherFan said:
Proud Griz Man said:
add a Derrick Pope

Maybe a little bit of a stretch to call a 6'4.5" forward a "post player," but I have to add:

Maybe my greatest Griz memory of all time was listening to the radio broadcast of the game in Moscow when Pope broke the backboard with one of his thunder dunks, the game was delayed for an hour or so while they cleaned up the mess and installed a new backboard, and the Griz knocked off top-20-ranked Idaho on the road. Damn, he was fun to watch!

As I recall, Derrick Pope was normally listed as 6' 6" on the programs I received at the games.

Theo Lawson
@TheoLawson_SR
·
22h
Cougars are a better team with Tony Miller on the floor. Wouldn't be surprised to see him crack the starting five by the time Pac-12 play opens. #WSU still leading, 22-16.

Latest posts

Back