• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Humphrey question.

SaskGriz said:
I see the QB room next year as; Humphrey, Brown, Rostad, and TBA. I could be wrong but I'm guessing Graves backs up Lewis and Welnel at LB.

Needs to put on some weight if he’s going to LB...

stubbins said:
SaskGriz said:
I see the QB room next year as; Humphrey, Brown, Rostad, and TBA. I could be wrong but I'm guessing Graves backs up Lewis and Welnel at LB.

Needs to put on some weight if he’s going to LB...

Yeah, true. I just don't see a spot opening at safety where we appear to be about 10 deep.

SaskGriz said:

I agree with Sask on this one....heck if Graves gets to 235 pounds at 6'3" he would be a clone of Olson..... the kid is fast, physical and violent at the point of attack...to me, he has linebacker written all over him....we do not want to make a kitty cat mistake imo...

krammer said:
SaskGriz said:

I agree with Sask on this one....heck if Graves gets to 235 pounds at 6'3" he would be a clone of Olson..... the kid is fast, physical and violent at the point of attack...to me, he has linebacker written all over him....we do not want to make a kitty cat mistake imo...

That comes from winning State in wrestling, I think at least twice.

SaskGriz said:

I'm afraid they are wasting Graves. He could probably start at safety right now. He could also play receiver. He has great speed and hands and 6'3" and 210 he could make an impact. As a qb, I'm pretty sure he knows the routes. If they don't ever plan to play him at QB, which you can tell they don't, why not start prepping him at another spot? He shouldn't sit on bench another season.

406 said:
SaskGriz said:

I'm afraid they are wasting Graves. He could probably start at safety right now. He could also play receiver. He has great speed and hands and 6'3" and 210 he could make an impact. As a qb, I'm pretty sure he knows the routes. If they don't ever plan to play him at QB, which you can tell they don't, why not start prepping him at another spot? He shouldn't sit on bench another season.
They are not wasting Graves. They are properly developing him and part of that is figuring out where he will best fit. They have established with his ST play that he's a D1 football player. Recall Mariani was used sparingly even as a soph. We started Sulser probably too early and it looks as if the remainder of his career is already in jeopardy.

I zero worries if Cam is the guy next year. He had two commendable games against tough competition coming in as a backup. He had a tough start against Idaho for sure, but I think he would have settled in if Dalton wasn’t available.

I think it’s clear he’s bought into the team’s philosophy. He’s out there laying blocks for running backs and lowering his shoulder for extra yardage. Watch him against Idaho on the Knight fumble, Cam is running in there to make a flying tackle, not just tag the guy who recovered it. He’s tough and has the skill, he’s not quite as polished as a starter, but I have no concerns when Cam is under center.

fanofzoo said:
krammer said:
SaskGriz said:

That comes from winning State in wrestling, I think at least twice.

there is much truth in what you say....I grew up and wrestled in Iowa.....if you played football there you almost always wrestle,,, take downs teach you to tackle, the practices teach you what conditioning really means and be out there by yourself on the mat teaches confidence in a team sport.....all that to say if you are a state champion in wrestling you are a tough guy in all respects.

I'm not sure where you guys are getting your information about Graves, but Grady Bennett worked with him last spring and said that he thinks Graves has a bright future as the QB of this team. He also said that the coaches at Montana were excited for his future too.

Grizbballfan14 said:
I'm not sure where you guys are getting your information about Graves, but Grady Bennett worked with him last spring and said that he thinks Graves has a bright future as the QB of this team. He also said that the coaches at Montana were excited for his future too.

He has a bright future for sure! But he’s 4th in the depth chart and we are bringing in a true freshman QB and probably a transfer this offseason. The highest grade will be in the depth chart at QB would be 3. Were gonna find him a place on the field before we let him be a 3 on the depth chart

My view is that Graves is being kept at qb because the coaches believe he may have a future at qb. While I don't disagree with comments saying he should be moved and used more, and he does seem have the ability to play other positions, there has to be a reason the coaches are keeping him at qb.

What qb's travel with the team? Who went to PSU?

Where is the 4th alb stuff coming from? I sure didn't see that in fall practice.

He redshirted last year, right?

mtgrizfankb said:
Grizbballfan14 said:

He has a bright future for sure! But he’s 4th in the depth chart and we are bringing in a true freshman QB and probably a transfer this offseason. The highest grade will be in the depth chart at QB would be 3. Were gonna find him a place on the field before we let him be a 3 on the depth chart

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but I've only seen a 2 deep. I still dont know where you're getting your information.

Graves was still playing special teams when Sneed went down,,,so with only Humphrey and Brown available, by deduction, one can conclude Brown to be the 3rd string and Graves 4th string......the coaches would not risk an injury to special team play, if Graves was the next man up after Humphrey imo.....Bobby has said in past that Graves is a very versatile, exceptional football player that needs to be on the field.

AZGrizFan said:
RayWill said:
AZGrizFan said:
Losing Akem hurt the passing game.

LOVE Roberts’ hands, but replacing Akem is a tall order. Also seemed weird that no passes were thrown JLM’s way all day. Just a strange passing day all the way around....

Humphreys first INT was thrown to JLM.

I was referencing that JLM had ZERO catches yesterday....I realize they tried a couple of times, but really not many. Not even a bubble screen....

Yeah, they were really playing him tightly. He just wasn't open much during the game and the few opportunities he was were just missed. thought there were some great opportunities for ab bubble or two or even a sweep but the coaches didn't seem to have it in the game plan.

krammer said:
Graves was still playing special teams when Sneed went down,,,so with only Humphrey and Brown available, by deduction, one can conclude Brown to be the 3rd string and Graves 4th string......the coaches would not risk an injury to special team play, if Graves was the next man up after Humphrey imo.....Bobby has said in past that Graves is a very versatile, exceptional football player that needs to be on the field.

Did Brown travel to PSU?

I don't view Graves playing ST the way you do. Graves often practices win-out a qb jersey on.

PlayerRep said:
krammer said:

Did Brown travel to PSU?

I don't view Graves playing ST the way you do. Graves often practices win-out a qb jersey on.

I'm with you. The way Bobby approaches special teams is different than most. He wants his best players out there, so that argument doesnt carry any weight for me.

Also if Garret Graves does become QB one day, everyone on the team will want to play for him after watching how hard he works on every special team assignment.

Back