• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How to beat Michigan

Good find, Iowa. Love the thought. I’m not sure I buy in entirely, but I’ll certainly say this: I don’t envision a world in which this GRIZ team goes on an 8 minute scoreless stretch.

To say it’ll be a tough match is an understatement, but this team will continue to fight for the whole game! They’re not going playing for a good showing! If they play their game, keep the spacing, and can get Michigan into a running game(with their pressure defense) they can win this thing! That’s a lot of “ifs” but it can be done!

Coach Beilein had some positive things to say about the Griz! He saidin a ESPN interview-that the addition of Dorsey and Manuel was definitely a plus for the Griz! He praised the guard play and the senior leadership of the Griz.

CDAGRIZ said:
KILO217 said:
I believe he was referring to Michigan State as MSU and the 'had their nunber" referenced Michigan State beating Michigan (UM) in Big Ten Championship.

I don't know. That doesn't seem to add up.

I thought UM was Minnesota...That is what we called it.

SACCAT66 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
KILO217 said:
I believe he was referring to Michigan State as MSU and the 'had their nunber" referenced Michigan State beating Michigan (UM) in Big Ten Championship.

I don't know. That doesn't seem to add up.

I thought UM was Minnesota...That is what we called it.

I think that's right.

rocklobster said:
If they ... can get Michigan into a running game(with their pressure defense) they can win this thing!

Whose "pressure defense"? Does Montana press? Like full-court? (Michigan does not)

Michigan's worst loss this year was at sub-.500 Penn State. The Nittany Lions threw out a junk 3/4-court defense the entire game. It wasn't high-pressure. I don't think it caused a single turnover, but Michigan took their time beating it into the front court and it drained the clock on every possession - a bad thing for a patient team who likes to run lots of motion and looks - and Michigan ran into bad shot-clock-pressured shots often. Surprisingly to any Michigan fan who watched that game, nobody else tried to duplicate it the rest of the year.

Do the Grizzlies regularly deploy anything like that?

Pepto Bismol said:
rocklobster said:
If they ... can get Michigan into a running game(with their pressure defense) they can win this thing!

Whose "pressure defense"? Does Montana press? Like full-court? (Michigan does not)

Michigan's worst loss this year was at sub-.500 Penn State. The Nittany Lions threw out a junk 3/4-court defense the entire game. It wasn't high-pressure. I don't think it caused a single turnover, but Michigan took their time beating it into the front court and it drained the clock on every possession - a bad thing for a patient team who likes to run lots of motion and looks - and Michigan ran into bad shot-clock-pressured shots often. Surprisingly to any Michigan fan who watched that game, nobody else tried to duplicate it the rest of the year.

I don't know much about anything but I would anticipate some pressure from our 3 guards 3/4 court. They will try to extend the time it takes for the ball to get into the half court offense. Timmy and Bobby Moorhead are both great defenders with excellent anticipation. Mostly I think the Griz will focus on their rotation defense and try to force Michigan into bad perimeter shots, defend and front the entry into the post with help rotating from the backside.

blackfootipa said:
Pepto Bismol said:
rocklobster said:

I don't know much about anything but I would anticipate some pressure from our 3 guards 3/4 court. They will try to extend the time it takes for the ball to get into the half court offense. Timmy and Bobby Moorhead are both great defenders with excellent anticipation. Mostly I think the Griz will focus on their rotation defense and try to force Michigan into bad perimeter shots, defend and front the entry into the post with help rotating from the backside.

Thank you! I meant there rotation and pressure through double teaming. This is not full court pressure, but this along with their anticipation is the type of pressure I’m talking about. It gets teams out of cync with their half court offense and leads to turnovers and fast break points.

rocklobster said:
I meant there rotation and pressure through double teaming. This is not full court pressure, but this along with their anticipation is the type of pressure I’m talking about. It gets teams out of cync with their half court offense and leads to turnovers and fast break points.

Gotcha. I couldn't tell if you meant Montana or Michigan with the pressure defense. In some of the Michigan previews, I was reminded of the trapping of the ball screen Montana did that was effective a year ago. Later in the game, it seemed Michigan started to figure it out. Will be interesting how two smart coaches expand on that important point.

While we're clarifying for each other, I've noticed some other posters hoping Montana can succeed through hot three-point shooting. Thought it was worth a mention to note for you guys that Michigan allows the least amount of three-point attempts per game, and their opponent three-point shooting percentage is 5th lowest in the nation. That said, nobody's thrown 5 shooters at Michigan yet, either. (shrug)

Pepto Bismol said:
rocklobster said:
I meant there rotation and pressure through double teaming. This is not full court pressure, but this along with their anticipation is the type of pressure I’m talking about. It gets teams out of cync with their half court offense and leads to turnovers and fast break points.

Gotcha. I couldn't tell if you meant Montana or Michigan with the pressure defense. In some of the Michigan previews, I was reminded of the trapping of the ball screen Montana did that was effective a year ago. Later in the game, it seemed Michigan started to figure it out. Will be interesting how two smart coaches expand on that important point.

While we're clarifying for each other, I've noticed some other posters hoping Montana can succeed through hot three-point shooting. Thought it was worth a mention to note for you guys that Michigan allows the least amount of three-point attempts per game, and their opponent three-point shooting percentage is 5th lowest in the nation. That said, nobody's thrown 5 shooters at Michigan yet, either. (shrug)
:thumb:

Pepto Bismol said:
rocklobster said:

I don't think the Griz will start by throwing up 3's. I'm sure DeCuire will want them to get to the rim early and often. If that happens, then I could see some 3-point shots opening up. If those two things happen it's going to be a fun game.

I watched the PSU<>Mich game. PSU was a hard luck team that is one better than their record and two was due for a win. Other teams attempted the token press with less success. What has had success the entire season is an emphasis on switching everything. Mich has had difficulty exploiting it. Thus when the shot clock runs down, the choice becomes a tough position shot. In the Mich verses Mich St game Teske at seven feet plus would be posted on a six foot guard. Yet the UM perimeter players were unable to throw the entry pass in for the easy bunny. A lot of times teams will try it and UM defeats it once and they give up. The key is make Mich prove they have this vulnerability resolved and not give up so easy. I watched Mich verses Minnesota. UM was successfully twice and Minn gave up. Xavier Simpson is an interesting player. The one thing he can't do is exploit a 3pt jumper off of a center. Since Mont runs 5 guards, I would switch on every screen and pick. Michigan is the bigger faster team and has athletes who can get their own shot. But the leading scorer is an inconsistent freshmen and the 2nd leading scorer is a trash talking sophomore who is a streaky shooter. If Mich hits their 3's over 35% going to be real tough. They go 2 for 20, there is opportunity.

On the flip side UM is a very good team and stopping 3's and not giving up offensive rebounds. Their model is do not turn the ball over and out possession you where they get more by getting 3 pts per basket even though they can't shoot the trey. When the opportunity is there, the shooter needs to exploit the open shot and a senior guard will need to make tough position shots. That is what seniors do. Getting to 70 is extremely unlikely. But 60 can win if there is a cover on the basket.

hfhmilkman said:
I watched the PSU<>Mich game. PSU was a hard luck team that is one better than their record and two was due for a win. Other teams attempted the token press with less success. What has had success the entire season is an emphasis on switching everything. Mich has had difficulty exploiting it. Thus when the shot clock runs down, the choice becomes a tough position shot. In the Mich verses Mich St game Teske at seven feet plus would be posted on a six foot guard. Yet the UM perimeter players were unable to throw the entry pass in for the easy bunny. A lot of times teams will try it and UM defeats it once and they give up. The key is make Mich prove they have this vulnerability resolved and not give up so easy. I watched Mich verses Minnesota. UM was successfully twice and Minn gave up. Xavier Simpson is an interesting player. The one thing he can't do is exploit a 3pt jumper off of a center. Since Mont runs 5 guards, I would switch on every screen and pick. Michigan is the bigger faster team and has athletes who can get their own shot. But the leading scorer is an inconsistent freshmen and the 2nd leading scorer is a trash talking sophomore who is a streaky shooter. If Mich hits their 3's over 35% going to be real tough. They go 2 for 20, there is opportunity.

On the flip side UM is a very good team and stopping 3's and not giving up offensive rebounds. Their model is do not turn the ball over and out possession you where they get more by getting 3 pts per basket even though they can't shoot the trey. When the opportunity is there, the shooter needs to exploit the open shot and a senior guard will need to make tough position shots. That is what seniors do. Getting to 70 is extremely unlikely. But 60 can win if there is a cover on the basket.

Montana now starts 3 guards who can and do play 1 and 2. The other 2 starters are 3/4's. The 2 off bench are a guard who can play 3, and a 4 who is a very good long range shooter. Both off the bench are very good long range shooters. Currently, the 2 best on the team. One transferred from the U of Washington, and one from Oregon St. The Ore St transfer started almost 20 games there as a true frosh, and then got hurt and missed the next year. I believe one or both of them went to the ncaa's with their Pac-12 teams.

How to beat Michigan?

Shoot better than 29% from the floor
Shoot better than 9% from 3-point range.
Shoot better than 50% from FT’s.

I mean, if we even had the dunk and the two missed layups back it’s a 7 point game.

How to eventually be able to beat Michigin:
Transfer the basketball program out of the BSC and into a conference more reputable, competitive, and someday equip ourselves to more regularly be able to go to the NCAA tourney as an at large so the big dance isnt so big anymore and we dont lock up and choke in the spotlight.

timjayko said:
Transfer the basketball program out of the BSC and into a conference more reputable, competitive, and someday equip ourselves to more regularly be able to go to the NCAA tourney as an at large so the big dance isnt so big anymore and we dont lock up and choke in the spotlight.

Isn’t this why we play the Pitts and U of A’s of the world in OOC so we DON’TS lock up and choke in the spotlight? It’s not working...

AZGrizFan said:
timjayko said:

Isn’t this why we play the Pitts and U of A’s of the world in OOC so we DON’TS lock up and choke in the spotlight? It’s not working...

We need ncaa tournament caliber opponents all year long, how are we supposed to get used to teams like Michigins and Syracuse when we are playing in a conference with zero teams who push us hard and create a true challenge to reach the top of the conference standings? Unless we play in a conference with 2 or even 3 other teams who are NCAA tournament caliber year in and year out we are going to continue to struggle to actually make some noise in the big dance, and be stuck as a 15 or 16 seed... a more competitive and challenging conference with more talented foes will help us with recruiting too. We need more bigs and athletes!

RobGriz said:
Actually acting like we deserve to be in the tourney would be nice.

It's hard we face little competition that's at this level, because of this we spend half the game acclimating, adjusting, and just getting used to this level of play. It's not necessarily that we arent playing like we deserve to be there, its that we arent ready to step up to this level yet. Our BSC tournament did everything but prepare us for the NCAA Tournament, we need more quality opponents consistently throughout the year, and a conference tournament full of legitimate competition, these things would help prepare us for the big stage. Even if it took us years again to get back to the big dance, getting back there through a much more challenging and reputable basketball conference would generate a Montana Grizzly squad that could do some damage. IMO

Back