• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

How Bad Will Gregoreks Defense Be This Year?

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
BWahlberg said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
None of those number matter since they are ran ip every week against the shit box that is the BSC.

Thanks for playing though, I appreciate you.

:censored:

You don't get an opinion in our threads anymore

Spoken wonderfully like someone who has been proven wrong and needs to find a childish way to respond instead of admit they were wrong.

I do think the Defense will be up to the task, they might struggle with new faces, but as the seasons progresses
they will get better. I think Van Ackerman and McKinley will really have an impact, speaking of McKinley, watching him in spring ball he impressed everybody on that coaching staff

UCLAALUM said:
I do think the Defense will be up to the task, they might struggle with new faces, but as the seasons progresses
they will get better. I think Van Ackerman and McKinley will really have an impact, speaking of McKinley, watching him in spring ball he impressed everybody on that coaching staff

McKinley has the potential to be a shut down corner.

Grisly Fan said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
BWahlberg said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
None of those number matter since they are ran ip every week against the shit box that is the BSC.

Thanks for playing though, I appreciate you.

:censored:

You don't get an opinion in our threads anymore
Graduating from 6th grade simply has to be at the top of your bucket list...

Let's not set the bar too high, now. It'll only lead to disappointment.

By Big Sky Conference standards, this is a great defense . Yes, they have improved every year under Gregorak. The question and concern is, Can the defense become a national championship caliber defense? That has to be the next step for Ty's defense. They have yet to prove to be better than a defense just good enough to get into the playoffs. To make a championship run at some point they have to prove to be a defense that can shut down any kind of offense. They have yet to make that step or prove to be that under Gregorak.

My hope is Stitt demands and expects that of the defense this season. Stitt fully expects his offense to be among the best in the nation, despite this being a 1st year transition. For those of you not agreeing with alpha, he has consistently emphasized he looks beyond the conference. He looks at how the GRIZ stack up nationally. For him to give credit to any 1 side of the ball, they have to deliver in the playoffs!!! To be honest, for each of us our outlook and opinion all depends on what we each of us are satisfied with?

I don't expect Alpha to give out participation awards, kudos, recognition, etc until the GRIZ once again prove to get the job done in the post season. To be honest with you, with the dry spell between national championships, I agree with him. I feel that is the bar that should be set every year. I will give the Delaney years somewhat of pass due to the circumstances. I do know if Pflugrad remained the GRIZ coach, my expectations would have been a national championship within 4 years, and consistent deep playoff runs for the years the GRIZ came up short.

This program has built itself to the point where ending the season in the round of 16 should be considered coming up short. Many of us feel Stitt's offense will become a strength of the program this season. Stitt wants to make an impact nationally again. He knows the fans here have high expectations. He is not a coach that will be taking or making excuses for any side of the ball coming up short. Yes, the pressure is on Gregorak to have his defense become a top 5 to 10 defense nationally, this year. Just being a good enough defense, offense, and team for the conference is not good enough. We should expect more. Like it or not, we should be the FCS version of the Alabama's, Florida State's, Ohio States, Nebraska's, USC's, etc. Those fan bases expect to be consistently national title contenders, with very little understanding or empathy for falling short of expectations.

It is way past due for the GRIZ to be bring home another FCS national championship!!! Alpha, keep fighting the good fight!

mtgrizrule said:
By Big Sky Conference standards, this is a great defense . Yes, they have improved every year under Gregorak. The question and concern is, Can the defense become a national championship caliber defense? That has to be the next step for Ty's defense. They have yet to prove to be better than a defense just good enough to get into the playoffs. To make a championship run at some point they have to prove to be a defense that can shut down any kind of offense. They have yet to make that step or prove to be that under Gregorak.

My hope is Stitt demands and expects that of the defense this season. Stitt fully expects his offense to be among the best in the nation, despite this being a 1st year transition. For those of you not agreeing with alpha, he has consistently emphasized he looks beyond the conference. He looks at how the GRIZ stack up nationally. For him to give credit to any 1 side of the ball, they have to deliver in the playoffs!!! To be honest, for each of us our outlook and opinion all depends on what we each of us are satisfied with?

I don't expect Alpha to give out participation awards, kudos, recognition, etc until the GRIZ once again prove to get the job done in the post season. To be honest with you, with the dry spell between national championships, I agree with him. I feel that is the bar that should be set every year. I will give the Delaney years somewhat of pass due to the circumstances. I do know if Pflugrad remained the GRIZ coach, my expectations would have been a national championship within 4 years, and consistent deep playoff runs for the years the GRIZ came up short.

This program has built itself to the point where ending the season in the round of 16 should be considered coming up short. Many of us feel Stitt's offense will become a strength of the program this season. Stitt wants to make an impact nationally again. He knows the fans here have high expectations. He is not a coach that will be taking or making excuses for any side of the ball coming up short. Yes, the pressure is on Gregorak to have his defense become a top 5 to 10 defense nationally, this year. Just being a good enough defense, offense, and team for the conference is not good enough. We should expect more. Like it or not, we should be the FCS version of the Alabama's, Florida State's, Ohio States, Nebraska's, USC's, etc. Those fan bases expect to be consistently national title contenders, with very little understanding or empathy for falling short of expectations.

It is way past due for the GRIZ to be bring home another FCS national championship!!! Alpha, keep fighting the good fight!

Thanks for interpreting...for some reason I can never decipher such articulation from the original poster. I didn't realize there was such precise parameters to the name calling and utter negativity regarding everything Griz. And I thought being overly negative about everything was the easy way out. My eyes are now open. Gregorak sucks...the defense sucks...the Big Sky sucks...Henderson, Daum, and Jones are the only good players on our offense...got it.

Alaska Griz said:
mtgrizrule said:

Thanks for interpreting...for some reason I didn't decipher such articulation from the original poster or previous ones. And I thought being overly negative about everything was easy. My eyes are now open. Gregorak sucks...the defense sucks...the Big Sky sucks...Henderson, Daum, and Jones are the only good players on our offense...wow, that was constructive.

I did not post anything about our offensive personnel. I also did not say the defense sucks. I said, it has yet to prove to be a national championship caliber defense. That is true, they have yet to prove that. People are on Alpha for being a hard ass with high expectations. Yet, he has never waivered on his expectations of the team. Unlike some egrizzers, he has been consistent where he stands and how he feels about the GRIZ. There is nothing wrong with that from any fan of any team.

mtgrizrule said:
Alaska Griz said:
mtgrizrule said:

Thanks for interpreting...for some reason I didn't decipher such articulation from the original poster or previous ones. And I thought being overly negative about everything was easy. My eyes are now open. Gregorak sucks...the defense sucks...the Big Sky sucks...Henderson, Daum, and Jones are the only good players on our offense...wow, that was constructive.

I did not post anything about our offensive personnel. I also did not say the defense sucks. I said, it has yet to prove to be a national championship caliber defense. That is true, they have yet prove that.

I wasn't referring to you. I like your posts...Just thought giving credit to Alpha's lack of anything constructive posts and trying to find wisdom in them that isn't actually suggested in them was a little over the top. I have high expectations as well but I also realize at the end of the day it's a game played by human beings and we are lucky to be fans of the Griz. Overt, unending criticism has no bearing if it isn't balanced with actual insight and examples of what might improve the problem. You are very good at supplying those, btw.

Alaska Griz said:
mtgrizrule said:
Alaska Griz said:
mtgrizrule said:

I did not post anything about our offensive personnel. I also did not say the defense sucks. I said, it has yet to prove to be a national championship caliber defense. That is true, they have yet prove that.

I wasn't referring to you. I like your posts...Just thought giving credit to Alpha's lack of anything constructive posts and trying to find wisdom in them that isn't actually suggested in them was a little over the top.

Thanks for the response. Honestly, what is wrong with alpha's opinion that Daum has the talent to be the GRIZ 3rd best WR this year? That is a lot of high praise for a player who has yet to play a down in college football. Is that more of a vote of confidence in Daum, or degrading the other WR's? I don't know, but will admit Daum would have to be a rare FR WR to do that this season.

How is Alpha or anyone questioning our defense not constructive? Beyond the Big Sky conference, really what has the Defense done in the playoffs to bring the program to being a true national contender? I see where he is coming from here.

For the record, I hope the Defense proves to be a championship caliber defense. I am sure most GRIZ NATION can agree on that. Unfortunately, they have yet to prove that under Gregorak.

Thanks for the response. Honestly, what is wrong with alpha's opinion that Daum has the talent to be the GRIZ 3rd best WR this year? That is a lot of high praise for a player who has yet to play a down in college football. Is that more of a vote of confidence in Daum, or degrading the other WR's? I don't know, but will admit Daum would have to be a rare FR WR to do that this season.

How is Alpha or anyone questioning our defense not constructive? Beyond the Big Sky conference, really what has the Defense done in the playoffs to bring the program to being a true national contender? I see where he is coming from here.

For the record, I hope the Defense proves to be a championship caliber defense. I am sure most GRIZ NATION can agree on that. Unfortunately, they have yet to prove that under Gregorak.[/quote]

I think Daum will be great. Heck, maybe he's top 3...he hasn't even played a down in college though. As far as Alpha's comments, I think they take on a certain tone over time and all blend together as a caricature ex) "How bad with Gregoraks D be?"...well obviously, our D isn't bad, it may not be great. But after awhile when everything is bad, or awful, or whatever without an accurate portayal, that information becomes just that...inaccurate. Therefore citing an online persona called "Alpha" to explain views on Griz football seems counter intuitive to me...but I'm done on that.

At this point, Stitt is very fortunate to be heading into his first year in the Big Sky with Gregorak and his D. You can't have a Championship D with an inept offense. They go hand in hand. Gregoraks D was the bright spot last year. Until Stitt's offense makes the D appear inferior, I won't get carried away talking about a Defense and coordinator that has improved every year and who the head coach has given loads of praise since his arrival.

AZGrizFan said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Its funny to know that right now PlayaRAPe is going to grab the box scores from Montana St, Sac St or Northern Colorado hoping to cherry pick his way into Tys panties................

:lol: :lol:

Don't need to grab those box scores in particular. Let's take them though, in addition to some others:

MSU: Averaged 38.2 PPG. Scored 7
EWU: Averaged 44.1 PPG. Scored 37 & 36
Sac St: Averaged 38.1. Scored 13
NDSU: Averaged 32.9. Scored 22 (The same guys who put up 34 on a Big 10 school and scored 38,27,39,35 and 29 in their playoff run)
SUU: Averaged 23.7. Scored 17
Wyoming: Averaged 23.5 (Against MWC foes). Scored 17
San Diego: Averaged 26.1. Scored 14
South Dakota: Averaged 19.4 against MFVC. Scored 20

I could go through and dissect the YPC, TOP, etc., etc., but why bother. Suffice it to say that if LAST YEAR'S defense shows up with what we're anticipating out of Stitt's OFFENSE, this should be a VERY fun year to watch football.

And, for the record, I don't know Ty and don't want into his "panties".
:thumb: :clap:

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
I dont even need to say anything, its gonna be a long season on defense and everyone who is anyone knows it.

There isnt one single former player that disagrees with TY being in way over his head and the number one consensus is hes a bad guy that should be a position coach, nothing more.

I know Stitt will address this ASAP when he watches teams fu*king torch us yet again for the 5th straight year.
I'm guessing Ty is coaching for his job this year.

Keeping him on was the right move, if he wasn't retained all hell would break loose from the masses. Also I'm sure it helped with the recruiting class that was at the time in the works. He does know linebackers, no argument there. But until he can at least learn how to spell Cal Poly and stop anyone between the 30's he isn't anything that can't be replaced.

Statistically, sure he's done alright....but watching his D you can tell its nothing special.

If he actually starts bringing an aggressive defense to the field that stops teams before they get to the red zone, great....let's keep him. If not, bring on the next guy.

brewskis said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
I dont even need to say anything, its gonna be a long season on defense and everyone who is anyone knows it.

There isnt one single former player that disagrees with TY being in way over his head and the number one consensus is hes a bad guy that should be a position coach, nothing more.

I know Stitt will address this ASAP when he watches teams fu*king torch us yet again for the 5th straight year.

Keeping him on was the right move, if he wasn't retained all hell would break loose from the masses. Also I'm sure it helped with the recruiting class that was at the time in the works. He does know linebackers, no argument there. But until he can at least learn how to spell Cal Poly and stop anyone between the 30's he isn't anything that can't be replaced.

Statistically, sure he's done alright....but watching his D you can tell its nothing special.

If he actually starts bringing an aggressive defense to the field that stops teams before they get to the red zone, great....let's keep him. If not, bring on the next guy.

Doubt that Gregorak is coaching for his job anymore than most of the other coaches. He is very respected by and popular with current and former players who played for UM since he's been in Missoula. Contrary to Alpha's BS, many former players supported Gregorak for head coach, particular the ones he had played when he was in UM. I've never talked to any former player who thinks Gregorak is in over his head. Most believe he is a very good coach, developing nicely as an AD, and has significant potential. I suppose he may or may not click with Stitt, and may or may not get a more attractive offer, but Still hired him because he had heard how good of a coach he was.

PlayerRep said:
brewskis said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Doubt that Gregorak is coaching for his job anymore than most of the other coaches. He is very respected by and popular with current and former players who played for UM since he's been in Missoula. Contrary to Alpha's BS, many former players supported Gregorak for head coach, particular the ones he had played when he was in UM. I've never talked to any former player who thinks Gregorak is in over his head. Most believe he is a very good coach, developing nicely as an AD, and has significant potential. I suppose he may or may not click with Stitt, and may or may not get a more attractive offer, but Still hired him because he had heard how good of a coach he was.
This is the only part that matters. If he's not up to Stitt's standards by the end of the year then there is no reason to keep him.

Back