• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

hong kong starts to blow...

argh!

DONOR
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/12/world/asia/hong-kong-protest-photos-pictures.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

The Soviet Union imploded after 72 years. Communist China began 70 years ago. It about time. BOOM!
Sit down, argh! I totally agree with you on Fox's non-reporting of this. Pathetic.

tourist said:
The Soviet Union imploded after 72 years. Communist China began 70 years ago. It about time. BOOM!
Sit down, argh! I totally agree with you on Fox's non-reporting of this. Pathetic.

the 'great firewall' has kept the real news out of the hands of mainland chinese for years, but kids these days are pretty savvy in getting around it, although they still have to resort to cryptic messages to say a lot of stuff online. one young woman i know in the mainland, who sells plastic surgery procedures for a living (of all things), posted a picture of bricks with the caption 'it is getting hot today' on wechat (the mainland's facebook, which is blocked in china). it is going to be very hard for the commies to keep this from the even average mainlanders, especially given that shenzen is literally within spitting distance of hong kong now. going to be interesting to see what happens.

argh! said:
and... nothing on fox "news", at least that i could see.

June 12

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/hong-kong-protests-this-is-what-china-does-to-a-society-wsjs-bill-mcgurn

The HK legislature building and the protests are in the Admiralty section of Central, in Hong Kong. Our firm's offices are in that area. Our people have been able to see the protests below and are having to deal with all that. The office is open and work goes on. Our office hosted representatives of the London Stock Exchange yesterday.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

June 12

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/hong-kong-protests-this-is-what-china-does-to-a-society-wsjs-bill-mcgurn

it was fox business, not news, was not much of an article, if you could even call it that, and the video was already taken down.

according to what i've read, businesses generally oppose the extradition law, but the bigger the business, the more silent they stay. i guess they just want the 'little guys' to do the work, while they play both sides of the fence.

was talking to someone originally from china the other day, who was impressed by the protests. said 'hong kongers usually only care about money', or something like that. i'm sure your firm fits that bill, eh, greenie...

oh, and i take it the lawyers in your firm weren't with the ones who protested the bill a week or so ago, offering alternative solutions.

I don't know what our HK lawyers and staff do, other than work. I assume they all oppose the proposed extradition bill.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

June 12

it was fox business, not news, was not much of an article, if you could even call it that, and the video was already taken down.

according to what i've read, businesses generally oppose the extradition law, but the bigger the business, the more silent they stay. i guess they just want the 'little guys' to do the work, while they play both sides of the fence.

was talking to someone originally from china the other day, who was impressed by the protests. said 'hong kongers usually only care about money', or something like that. i'm sure your firm fits that bill, eh, greenie...

So, you think that Fox Business isn't part of Fox? That's pretty funny.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

June 12

your ability to read is pretty dismal, greenie. i said i looked at the fox news website and didn't see a single article. didn't say that they might put something up; in fact i hope they do. in response, you posted a deleted video with a non-article from fox business as your 'proof' that fox news was covering the issue.

i can't imagine that many of your colleagues in hong kong are real thrilled about the extradition law, or the way things are going. whether they would tell you that over the phone or in an email, i am not so sure, because their communications are likely to be monitored, and the ccp's main tactic for keeping power is a scared, which includes even big businesses, which can be wiped out at the whim of the mainland. that's why people are protesting. i imagine the law is a relevant issue to your firm, as businesses are expected to leave hong kong once their judicial system is corrupted by beijing.

anyway, it is good you have others in your office who can do your research for you, as your ability seems to be at about a 4th grade level.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
June 12

your ability to read is pretty dismal, greenie. i said i looked at the fox news website and didn't see a single article. didn't say that they might put something up; in fact i hope they do. in response, you posted a deleted video with a non-article from fox business as your 'proof' that fox news was covering the issue.

i can't imagine that many of your colleagues in hong kong are real thrilled about the extradition law, or the way things are going. whether they would tell you that over the phone or in an email, i am not so sure, because their communications are likely to be monitored, and the ccp's main tactic for keeping power is a scared, which includes even big businesses, which can be wiped out at the whim of the mainland. that's why people are protesting. i imagine the law is a relevant issue to your firm, as businesses are expected to leave hong kong once their judicial system is corrupted by beijing.

anyway, it is good you have others in your office who can do your research for you, as your ability seems to be at about a 4th grade level.

Do you not even know how to click on a link? I just clicked on the June 12 article and it is still there. The article opens in every link above. Here's the title. I just watched the 7:20 video too.

"Hong Kong protests: This is what China does to a society, WSJ's Bill McGurn
By Henry FernandezPublished June 12, 2019ChinaFOXBusiness"

Oh please, I research political and business matters better than you, I know how to use Google (you don't), and you don't even know how to click on a link. I sure hope you really aren't as stupid as you appear to be on this.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

Do you not even know how to click on a link? I just clicked on the June 12 article and it is still there. The article opens in every link above. Here's the title. I just watched the 7:20 video too.

Oh please, I research political and business matters better than you, I know how to use Google (you don't), and you don't even know how to click on a link. I sure hope you really aren't as stupid as you appear to be on this.

jeezus, greenie, i'm just telling you what happened when i clicked the link. this morning an opening shot of cops in riot gear appeared, followed by a 'this video has been deleted' message. now i get the opening shot, followed by a blank screen. however i searched out the video on a different browser, and watched it. like i said, the little bit of writing beneath the video was barely an 'article', if at all, but the video was actually much more in depth, and in my opinion the speakers were very to the point and accurate a lot of the time, especially about dictator xi, or mao ii, as he seems to want to be.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

jeezus, greenie, i'm just telling you what happened when i clicked the link. this morning an opening shot of cops in riot gear appeared, followed by a 'this video has been deleted' message. now i get the opening shot, followed by a blank screen. however i searched out the video on a different browser, and watched it. like i said, the little bit of writing beneath the video was barely an 'article', if at all, but the video was actually much more in depth, and in my opinion the speakers were very to the point and accurate a lot of the time, especially about dictator xi, or mao ii, as he seems to want to be.

Get yourself a real computer. The link opens, and has opened, all along for anyone with a real computer. The video works too.

This is what come ups when you open the link with a real computer. The video works too. If the video comes up and then goes black, wait 5 seconds and the video will be back.

Hong Kong protests: This is what China does to a society, WSJ's Bill McGurn
By Henry FernandezPublished June 12, 2019ChinaFOXBusiness

Facebook
Twitter
Comments
Print

Bill McGurn on Hong Kong protests: This is what China does to a society
Wall Street Journal Editorial Board member Bill McGurn on his experience in Hong Kong and the current protests rocking the city.

A stand-off between protesters and police turned violent in Hong Kong on Wednesday over an anti-extradition bill.

Police fired rubber bullets and tear gas as demonstrators opposed a new bill that would allow extradition to mainland China Opens a New Window. .

MORE FROM FOXBUSINESS.COM
HUAWEI US SECURITY CHIEF WELCOMES US GOVERNMENT TO INVESTIGATE COMPANY Opens a New Window.
CHINA WOULDN’T BE AT NEGOTIATING TABLE WITHOUT TRUMP’S TARIFFS: SEN. CHUCK GRASSLEY Opens a New Window.
TRUMP SAYS HE IS FIXING THE TRADE RELATIONS BETWEEN US, CHINA Opens a New Window.
Wall Street Journal Opens a New Window. editorial board member Bill McGurn Opens a New Window. , who spent 10 years living in Hong Kong, described the violent scenes as “unspeakably sad’ and said the government of Beijing is responsible for disrupting the peaceful manner of the city’s residents.

“The people of Hong Kong are the most law-abiding people in the world,” he said during an interview on “Bulls & Bears Opens a New Window. ” Wednesday. “This is China. This is what China does to a society.”

McGurn said the rallies against the extradition bill outlines the people of Hong Kong’s outcry against Chinese President Xi Jinping and his government’s oppression.

“No one in Hong Kong is for this bill. They know it means a midnight knock on the door for them, which they didn’t have before,” he said.

Hong Kong, a former British colony until it was returned to Chinese rule in 1997, has a population of 7 million people. And since then, it has been governed as a semiautonomous region under governance of a "one country, two systems" principle.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX BUSINESS APP Opens a New Window.

McGurn said Hongkongers feel China Opens a New Window. will treat them like criminals and limit any opportunity for a better education, domestically or abroad, and to seek economic prosperity.

“The whole genius of the Hong Kong system apart from free-trade, their single most competitive advantages: your money and yourself are safe here because we are not China,” he said. “And this makes them China.”

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

Get yourself a real computer. The link opens, and has opened, all along for anyone with a real computer. The video works too.

ha ha, i'm using a lenovo, so maybe that is the problem.

the chief news editor of the south china morning post does a good job in describing one of the biggest issues, beyond the extradition law, that is driving the unrest in hong kong, which is an ugly housing crisis. his analysis is pretty brutal, and includes lines like 'why not just lay us out in rows of coffins that we can sleep, then die in...'. given the owner of the paper is jack 'the commie' ma, one has to wonder how long he'll last. wish we had more journalists like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T5ODJRnmzk

tourist said:
Apparently, he would be a perfect fit for the Missoulian. Give Strauss a call.

oh, i don't think so. he's very pro-capitalist and pro-democracy. this guy is walking a tightrope, so you've got to read between the lines. slamming the hong kong government is really slamming beijing. plus, what he's not saying is where the money is coming from that is driving the huge housing problem there, and who's buying stuff up - it is the newly rich communists, purchasing themselves the rights that you and i have, if even just temporarily.

i'm curious, have you ever derided the rich californians who come to montana to live part time, buy up the land (raising prices), driving out the locals, who maybe don't want to see another mcmansion screwing up the scenery? there is a place on georgetown lake that comes to mind. it used to be owned by someone with ties to the tobacco industry, is very visible, and also very gaudy, mucking up one of the most beautiful places in the world.

argh! said:
i'm curious, have you ever derided the rich californians who come to montana to live part time, buy up the land (raising prices), driving out the locals, who maybe don't want to see another mcmansion screwing up the scenery?

Every chance I get. I can't look at a Kalifornicator license plate without spitting. Look what has happened to Missoula, then spreading down the Bitterroot. Hell, the infestation has spread from Darby to Glacier Park. Bozeman is going the same way.

Back