• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Hero Sports All American Teams - Plenty of Griz

SubGriz said:
argh! said:
kemajic said:
rgrizfan said:
James Banks, Josh Buss and Conner Strahm probably had a little to do with Dante not starting as a Sophomore. He did play in every game.
He played every game lighting up the ST coverage teams and being ST POTY. Watch some of that film; he's the same Olson we know - all over the field. He played LB only in garbage time. When Strahm went out, Vika started ahead of Olson. Explain that. Strahm was not in the same league of LBs like McSurdy, Coyle, Tripp, Van Ackeran, Buss or Olson.

as az wrote: "For those without an agenda, go look at the tweet from Olson’s mom, which shows him at the beginning at at the end of his Griz career....looks like two different people. One a recent gangly HS graduate who looks like a kid, and by careers’ end a rangy, hard hitting NFL-quality LB."
Link to this tweet?

https://twitter.com/lmnolson/status/1206340858380873729

'68griz said:
Just too bad Sneed isn't getting the acclaim he'd have had if he hadn't gotten hurt and missed games.
It was not just the missed games; he was not right when he did play after the injury. His mobility was a major part of this special skills. High ankle sprains are way different than normal sprains; I know I had one; they're serious injuries. Not a tougher player out there than Sneed.

AZGrizFan said:
SubGriz said:
argh! said:
kemajic said:
He played every game lighting up the ST coverage teams and being ST POTY. Watch some of that film; he's the same Olson we know - all over the field. He played LB only in garbage time. When Strahm went out, Vika started ahead of Olson. Explain that. Strahm was not in the same league of LBs like McSurdy, Coyle, Tripp, Van Ackeran, Buss or Olson.

as az wrote: "For those without an agenda, go look at the tweet from Olson’s mom, which shows him at the beginning at at the end of his Griz career....looks like two different people. One a recent gangly HS graduate who looks like a kid, and by careers’ end a rangy, hard hitting NFL-quality LB."
Link to this tweet?

Thanks!

AZGrizFan said:
SubGriz said:
argh! said:
kemajic said:

Link to this tweet?

You get a good look at him after UM beat NDSU. He was jumping up and down with Calhoun and others celebrating the win. He didn't look like he does today... obviously.

AZGrizFan said:
rgrizfan said:
bgbigdog said:
HookedonGriz said:
I personally have not seen a better linebacker than Dante at this level, but I think Jace is seriously right there which is scary

Lewis is the next 37 a without a doubt and a great linebacker in his own right. Olson was the best Griz linebacker, ever. & that would have been even more pronounced had Stitt/Semore had any sense of defense.

James Banks, Josh Buss and Conner Strahm probably had a little to do with Dante not starting as a Sophomore. He did play in every game.

For those without an agenda, go look at the tweet from Olson’s mom, which shows him at the beginning at at the end of his Griz career....looks like two different people. One a recent gangly HS graduate who looks like a kid, and by careers’ end a rangy, hard hitting NFL-quality LB.
Get real. In 2017 Olson was in his third year at UM. With the lame argument of his underdeveloped size that year, let's look at the facts - the 2017 roster LBs sizes. Then continue your argument.

Strahm 6'0"; 240
Olson 6'3"; 230
Banks 6'1"; 215
Buss 6'2"; 220
Vika 6'3"; 230

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
rgrizfan said:
bgbigdog said:
Lewis is the next 37 a without a doubt and a great linebacker in his own right. Olson was the best Griz linebacker, ever. & that would have been even more pronounced had Stitt/Semore had any sense of defense.

For those without an agenda, go look at the tweet from Olson’s mom, which shows him at the beginning at at the end of his Griz career....looks like two different people. One a recent gangly HS graduate who looks like a kid, and by careers’ end a rangy, hard hitting NFL-quality LB.
Get real. In 2017 Olson was in his third year at UM. With the lame argument of his underdeveloped size that year, let's look at the facts - the 2017 roster LBs sizes. Then continue your argument.

Strahm 6'0"; 240
Olson 6'3"; 230
Banks 6'1"; 215
Buss 6'2"; 220
Vika 6'3"; 230

I don’t have an argument. I’m not the one who insists he should have been starting all four years. I’m just pointing out physical differences obvious to even the causal observer.

And, since you, personally, anointed the newest verbal as “Dante 2.0”, I assume you believe Hauck won’t make the same “mistake” with him as you believe Stitt did with Olson? Because, hell, if he’s ALREADY good enough to be Dante 2.0, it should be a no brainer, right? Plus, he has the added advantage of there not being a Banks, Buss or Strahm to compete against. Only Lewis.

Or is it just “everything BH does - good”, and “everything Bob Stitt did - bad”?

Or maybe its just as simple as “Hindsight is 20/20”....and leave it at that.

Edit: I loved watching Olson play, but it’s really easy NOW it sit here and say he should have been starting for four years. If you can’t say that here, NOW about the new recruit (which you weren’t doing about Olson 3-4 years ago), then you have zero credibility. You’re just Monday-morning QB’ing a coach who made lots of shitty decisions and using hindsight to build your case.

Someone please post when Counts scored the winning TD against UNDSU. I'm not smart enough.

That clip cracks me up. Someone was holding Dante back by his backpack so he didn't end up on the field and draw a penalty.

Regarding Lewis vs Olson. Both great players but a huge part of what Olson did on the field is because of the (likely thousands) of hours he spent off the field analyzing and breaking down film.

Future opponents, past oppoments, teams he would never play at ALL levels. He will watch not only what he did or didn't do in a game as well as picking fellow teammates one by one and breaking down their tendencies and moves. Seeing how he could improve based on how the other guys on our D would likely react to certain plays and formations.

Kid is extremely intelligent and as good as he performs, he always thinks he should do better the next snap, the next game.

He's really The Rainman of his position. There's a reason he was dubbed The Question Queen.

Lewis is a beast and the sky is the limit on what he can achieve in his remaining time here but theres a lot of pieces of the puzzle that need to come together in the making of an athlete like Dante.

I hope he's up for the challenge and you know Dante will be cheering him on the whole way.

Agree totally about Sneed getting some attention if not for the injury. Played with great determination as did some others. Also thinking Akem might have gotten a vote or two without the injury.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Strahm 6'0"; 240
Olson 6'3"; 230
Banks 6'1"; 215
Buss 6'2"; 220
Vika 6'3"; 230

I don’t have an argument. I’m not the one who insists he should have been starting all four years. I’m just pointing out physical differences obvious to even the causal observer.

And, since you, personally, anointed the newest verbal as “Dante 2.0”, I assume you believe Hauck won’t make the same “mistake” with him as you believe Stitt did with Olson? Because, hell, if he’s ALREADY good enough to be Dante 2.0, it should be a no brainer, right? Plus, he has the added advantage of there not being a Banks, Buss or Strahm to compete against. Only Lewis.

Or is it just “everything BH does - good”, and “everything Bob Stitt did - bad”?

You and your hyperbole. Show me where I said he should have been starting all four years. A flat out lie. In fact, what I have said is that by 2017, his 3rd year at UM, his undeniable talent, evident from his ST play should have had him in the LB PT rotation, certainly ahead of Vika. It would have provided real LB PT and the starts when Strahm was out. That's what I said - the defensive protect-Stitt-at-all-costs crew can't accept an obvious criticism of his DC, because we all know Stitt had nothing to do with the defense. Amazingly between Nov. 2017 and March 2018 Olson had transformed into an All-American. Of the 2017 crew, only Buss was ever at that level.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Strahm 6'0"; 240
Olson 6'3"; 230
Banks 6'1"; 215
Buss 6'2"; 220
Vika 6'3"; 230

You and your hyperbole. Show me where I said he should have been starting all four years. A flat out lie. In fact, what I have said is that his undeniable talent, evident from his ST play should have had him in the LB PT rotation, certainly ahead of Vika. It would have provided real LB PT and the starts when Strahm was out. That's what I said - the defensive protect-Stitt-at-all-costs crew can't accept an obvious criticism of his DC, because we all know Stitt had nothing to do with the defense. Amazingly between Nov. 2017 and March 2018 he had transformed into an All-American. Of the 2017 crew, only Buss was ever at that level.

Guess who had a tackle playing LB in game one of the 2017 season. And the 2nd game against UW. I could look at more if you’d like....point is....Guess who was IN the LB PT rotation all season despite your insistence otherwise.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Strahm 6'0"; 240
Olson 6'3"; 230
Banks 6'1"; 215
Buss 6'2"; 220
Vika 6'3"; 230

You and your hyperbole. Show me where I said he should have been starting all four years. A flat out lie. In fact, what I have said is that his undeniable talent, evident from his ST play should have had him in the LB PT rotation, certainly ahead of Vika. It would have provided real LB PT and the starts when Strahm was out. That's what I said - the defensive protect-Stitt-at-all-costs crew can't accept an obvious criticism of his DC, because we all know Stitt had nothing to do with the defense. Amazingly between Nov. 2017 and March 2018 he had transformed into an All-American. Of the 2017 crew, only Buss was ever at that level.

Guess who had a tackle playing LB in game one of the 2017 season. And the 2nd game against UW. I could look at more if you’d like....point is....Guess who was IN the LB PT rotation all season despite your insistence otherwise.

Since the starter, Strahm, was out for several games, why wasn't this mysterious person starting over the Vika?

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Since the starter, Strahm, was out for several games, why wasn't this mysterious person starting over the Vika?

I don’t know. You’d have to ask Stitt (or more likely Semore) that question...point is, he was in the LB rotation...had tackles from LB position in the first Savannah St. possession of the game (game 3)..also in the 3rd quarter of same game. And his #’s go UP as the season progresses, except for the mysterious ONE tackle in the Brawl that year....

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Strahm 6'0"; 240
Olson 6'3"; 230
Banks 6'1"; 215
Buss 6'2"; 220
Vika 6'3"; 230

Find some that were not garbage time. The fact you have to search makes my point.

Or we can shift to your favorite DC's team performance in the last game....

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Find some that were not garbage time.

Honestly, there’s lots. And as LB, not ST. Go look for yourself. I only looked through the first four games and found multiple examples, including in the very first series against Savannah St. 1st and 3rd quarters against EWU, early in the UW game. The list goes on. I realize it doesn’t support your narrative, but you do you.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Honestly, there’s lots. And as LB, not ST. Go look for yourself. I only looked through the first four games and found multiple examples, including in the very first series against Savannah St. 1st and 3rd quarters against EWU, early in the UW game. The list goes on. I realize it doesn’t support your narrative, but you do you.
The fact you have to search makes my point perfectly. And when you lie like you have not sure to believe (or check) anything you say.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

The fact you have to search makes my point perfectly. And when you lie like you have not sure to believe (or check) anything you say.

Have to search? I’m old. I don’t have a photographic memory of games from 3 seasons ago. It’s as simple as looking at the play-by-play for each of the games and looking for his name. And it doesn’t take long to find it. During regular PT (and yes, also during ST plays). And I apologize for the four year thing. Thought you’d said that, but if not I’ll take you at your word.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Have to search? I’m old. I don’t have a photographic memory of games from 3 seasons ago. It’s as simple as looking at the play-by-play for each of the games and looking for his name. And it doesn’t take long to find it. During regular PT (and yes, also during ST plays). And I apologize for the four year thing. Thought you’d said that, but if not I’ll take you at your word.
Dante was a regular contributor during his RS-Sophmore season but mostly as a situational player. He was part of the package that came in on obvious passing downs and usually lined up in a stand up position right over center. And he was the star of our special teams, so you are both correct. He was under used in hindsight, but if hindsight counted I'd go back to high school and have way more fun.

kemajic said:
rgrizfan said:
bgbigdog said:
HookedonGriz said:
I personally have not seen a better linebacker than Dante at this level, but I think Jace is seriously right there which is scary

Just because you keep spewing this false narrative isn’t going to make it True. Facts matter.

Vika and Dante didn’t play the same LB position in that very different defense. Vika was Stratham back up. Go look at the depth chart from that year.

Also Dante wasn’t a garbage time linebacker then. He was a regular in the 3rd down package.

SaskGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

Dante was a regular contributor during his RS-Sophmore season but mostly as a situational player. He was part of the package that came in on obvious passing downs and usually lined up in a stand up position right over center. And he was the star of our special teams, so you are both correct. He was under used in hindsight, but if hindsight counted I'd go back to high school and have way more fun.

I'm sorry but "you're both correct" is not an acceptable answer on eGriz. :evil: :evil:

Back