• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Help a stat junkie out

kurtismichael said:
alabamagrizzly said:
kurtismichael said:
alabamagrizzly said:
So us reaching out to Mr Taber my best option or is there a more direct route?

I wonder if the Missoulian published box scores of those games?

I’m sure they did for most of them and they are probably on file at the public library but I’m 2k miles from there.

Yeah, that makes it tough. Next time I go by the library I’ll see if I can find anything.

Don’t go out of your way but that would be appreciated. Hopefully when I email Mr Taber, he’ll have my answers. I’m just hoping he’s still not mad at me for bringing to their attention that JLM’s career receptions record was celebrated a week early. Of course, unofficially Matt Wells is still the record holder by nearly 20 receptions, just one example of why I’m doing this. Thanks again.

Have found a game summary, with stats for the 1993 UM-Delaware game, one from Great Falls and one from Delaware. The Delaware clip is much clearer. Gonna give this a try, and see what happens. Newspapers.com is a fee service, so I have to give them credit. Anyway, here goes:
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/41987162/the_news_journal/

I'm logged in right now, so it works for me when I click on the link. However, it may not work for an "outsider." If it doesn't, alabama, PM me and we can arrange to send you a copy (it's a PDF file, BTW).

Edit: FYI, the Delaware paper has quite a long, detailed article about the game.

Just found a clipping (from the Missoulian, BTW) about the 1989 game with Jackson State (48-7 drubbing by the Griz, BTW). The box looks more complete than what I found for the Delaware game. I won't post it here until I know that this is really working for other eGrizzers.

IdaGriz01 said:
Have found a game summary, with stats for the 1993 UM-Delaware game, one from Great Falls and one from Delaware. The Delaware clip is much clearer. Gonna give this a try, and see what happens. Newspapers.com is a fee service, so I have to give them credit. Anyway, here goes:

I'm logged in right now, so it works for me when I click on the link. However, it may not work for an "outsider." If it doesn't, alabama, PM me and we can arrange to send you a copy (it's a PDF file, BTW).

Edit: FYI, the Delaware paper has quite a long, detailed article about the game.

Thanks for finding this Ida, that’s a good find and I can view it. I’ve recently emailed Taber also so hopefully he’ll respond with some good info. I’m hoping to get defensive stats also but I know all older newspaper articles never carried the defensive stats. Thanks for the research though. Very much appreciated. You’ve gotten me one step closer to completing this endeavor.

alabamagrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Thanks for finding this Ida, that’s a good find and I can view it. I’ve recently emailed Taber also so hopefully he’ll respond with some good info. I’m hoping to get defensive stats also but I know all older newspaper articles never carried the defensive stats. Thanks for the research though. Very much appreciated. You’ve gotten me one step closer to completing this endeavor.
I sent you a separate PM about all the games. But you're right, I do not see any defensive stats at all.

Very interesting stuff. I especially enjoyed the write-up about the 1984 Mirage Bowl, played in Japan against Army. I wonder how many Griz fans even know that the Griz once played a game in Japan? Mornhinweg was the QB and put up some great numbers.

IdaGriz01 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:

I sent you a separate PM about all the games. But you're right, I do not see any defensive stats at all.

Very interesting stuff. I especially enjoyed the write-up about the 1984 Mirage Bowl, played in Japan against Army. I wonder how many Griz fans even know that the Griz once played a game in Japan? Mornhinweg was the QB and put up some great numbers.

I’d guess few do. I first found out when I stumbled across this site http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/f/montana.htm which I have used quite often. It has a great year by year breakdown of every college football team going back to the 40’s. The only draw back is it doesn’t show who the home team was. To see other teams, just click on a team to see other teams breakdowns.

IdaGriz01 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
IdaGriz01 said:

I was a freshman in the fall of '85 and I remember a couple of the football players showing me the engraved watches they got for playing in the Mirage Bowl. They described it as a great experience and a game between a team that couldn't stop the pass and a team that couldn't stop the run.

IdaGriz has saved the day! The man has access to internet secrets that a few select chosen ones are only allowed. He has shared those secrets with me though and soon the World, or at least eGriz nation will know the truth about the Montana record books. What has been kept in the dark will be brought to the light! Thanks again Ida!

alabamagrizzly said:
IdaGriz has saved the day! The man has access to internet secrets that a few select chosen ones are only allowed. He has shared those secrets with me though and soon the World, or at least eGriz nation will know the truth about the Montana record books. What has been kept in the dark will be brought to the light! Thanks again Ida!
Bookmarked.

alabamagrizzly said:
kurtismichael said:
alabamagrizzly said:
kurtismichael said:
I wonder if the Missoulian published box scores of those games?

I’m sure they did for most of them and they are probably on file at the public library but I’m 2k miles from there.

Yeah, that makes it tough. Next time I go by the library I’ll see if I can find anything.

Don’t go out of your way but that would be appreciated. Hopefully when I email Mr Taber, he’ll have my answers. I’m just hoping he’s still not mad at me for bringing to their attention that JLM’s career receptions record was celebrated a week early. Of course, unofficially Matt Wells is still the record holder by nearly 20 receptions, just one example of why I’m doing this. Thanks again.

You bet. I’ll keep an eye on this thread to see what you come up with. In was in the same dorm as Matt Wells. All those pre 2002 guys deserve to have all their games counted!

kurtismichael said:
alabamagrizzly said:
kurtismichael said:
alabamagrizzly said:

You bet. I’ll keep an eye on this thread to see what you come up with. In was in the same dorm as Matt Wells. All those pre 2002 guys deserve to have all their games counted!

Speaking of Matt Wells, I didn’t remember he was our kicker for the ‘92 season. I do remember Gurnsey being the punter but definitely did a double take when I seen Wells’s stats in the points scored category with PAT’s and FG’s given credit to him.

The old stats, and names, are really fascinating … just in the seven ‘bama asked about. Here’s a question for you Griz fans who are really in the know. But first some background. In the 1994 playoff game against Delaware, “Boddie” was the leading rusher for the Griz, with 49 yards in seven carries ( 7 ypc, pretty good). Minor research says that was “Damon Boddie.” Not sure where he is now, but in 2012, he was serving with the Army in Afghanistan.
https://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/where-are-they-now/article_67312d0a-3b0c-11e2-969a-001a4bcf887a.html

However, if you Google “Broddie,” your hits bring up (among others) a Wikipedia item about Tony Broddie from Montana State, who played (some) in the NFL.

So: With a relatively unusual name, were the two related?

kyle_sample said:
alabamagrizzly said:
grizfan95 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
So anyone who knows me knows I’m a stat junkie and can’t get enough of gathering statistical info. I’m also a bit OCD so for the past nearly 20 years, it has greatly agitated me that playoff stats prior to 2002 haven’t been back filled to give the correct totals and comparisons to the current records that have been broken since playoff stats were included into stat totals. Soooooo, I’ve taken it upon myself to correct Montana’s record book. Finding playoff stats from ‘93 and older has become very problematic though.

I’m asking for help finding box scores for seven games.
1993 vs Delaware
1989 vs Jackson St
1989 vs Eastern Illinois
1989 vs Georgia Southern
1988 vs Idaho
1984 vs Army
1982 vs Idaho

I realize these will probably be impossible to find but I’m hoping and praying that somebody’s got something. Thank you and Go Griz!

Have you reached out to the university for these? Maybe Taber?

I wish they would backfill as well to compare. Wells and Douglass are regularly shortchanged in the WR column.

He’s my next step. If he can’t help, I’m probably gonna chalk it up to a lost cause. Yo is another who was truly hurt. 2k+ rushing, 2.6k total yards and 26 total TD’s in ‘01.

UM sports information will have those boxes

You should be able to email him. There should be an email for him in the staff directory on gogriz.com

kyle_sample said:
kyle_sample said:
alabamagrizzly said:
grizfan95 said:
Have you reached out to the university for these? Maybe Taber?

I wish they would backfill as well to compare. Wells and Douglass are regularly shortchanged in the WR column.

He’s my next step. If he can’t help, I’m probably gonna chalk it up to a lost cause. Yo is another who was truly hurt. 2k+ rushing, 2.6k total yards and 26 total TD’s in ‘01.

UM sports information will have those boxes

You should be able to email him. There should be an email for him in the staff directory on gogriz.com

I did about a week ago. Still waiting for a response. Hopefully he’ll come through. Apparently I’m not the only one who’s really interested in this info.

Back