• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Grizzly Softball @ UNLV Desert Classic (2-17 to 2-19)

Grizfan-24

Staff member
Here is a thread for the Desert Classic.

1. You can stream the tournament on youtube. Each game is linked on the Softball schedule. https://gogriz.com/sports/softball/schedule?path=softball
2. Here is the link to the https://unlvrebels.com/feature/2023DesertClassic

Couple of things to look for:

1. Improved pitching. Struggled last weekend. Decreasing walks. Improving K rate.
2. At Bats that lead to hard contact increase, and a lot of the swing through pitches in the zone decrease. I'd expect the offense to be vastly better this weekend.

Griz score in the top of the 3rd. 1-0 over Cal State Bakersfield.

Jantzi HBP, Stockton sacrifice. With two strikes and two outs, Klucewich flips an opposite field double over the outstretched arms of the 3rd baseman.

So far a ton of strikes from Brock and some great infield defense from Klucewich and Curtis.

UM had its chances in the 4 and 5th to break the game open but was unable to convert and left 5 runners on.

CSUB scratched a run across in the bottom of the 5th off an error that put a runner at 3rd. FC scored the run and neither team really put much together in 6th and 7th frames.

1-1 heading into extras. 2-3-4 up for Montana.

Montana scores one with its ghost runner on 2nd on a wild pitch.

CSUB answers with a sac bunt and then a fly to score their runner.

Griz 2
CSUB 2

Headed to the 9th.

Griz sac to third w/ no out. But a soft fly to left and a ground out to second can't plate the runner. Just haven't hit enough today. Made contact, but just right at people and a lot roll overs against that plus change the CSUB pitcher had.

Griz lose in the bottom of the 9th, walk off.

Tough sledding so far at the outset. 3-2 CSUB.

Just one hit in 9 innings.

Grizfan-24 said:
Griz sac to third w/ no out. But a soft fly to left and a ground out to second can't plate the runner. Just haven't hit enough today. Made contact, but just right at people and a lot roll overs against that plus change the CSUB pitcher had.

Griz lose in the bottom of the 9th, walk off.

Tough sledding so far at the outset. 3-2 CSUB.

Just one hit in 9 innings.

Brock pitched well. She got no run support. Our leadoff and second hitters are really struggling so far this year.

I have a feeling it’s going to be a long year. An 0-6 start under a coach who has been here for a while is not good at all.

HookedonGriz said:
I have a feeling it’s going to be a long year. An 0-6 start under a coach who has been here for a while is not good at all.

Might be. Right now can't seem to get everything to come together. Brock was really good again. If she can continue to pitch like that, we'll be okay. The hitting is just not there right now, and where last weekend there was some loud contact, there was almost none today. Credit the CSUB pitcher, but not a good way to start the season for sure.

Joseph wasn't good. Walked 4 and hit 1. Gave up 2 runs off of walks. Replaced after 2/3rds of an inning by O'Brien. O'Brien walks another in, and it is 3-0 after 1.

Again after Brock it hasn't been good. Too many walks and too much traffic. This could be a long one in Vegas.

Got one back. But like the prior 6 games, having hard time stringing hits together to put up crooked numbers. Gonna need those if they are going to have a chance at winning.

3-1 after 1 1/2.

Haegele has hit 1 and walked 2 in the bottom of the second. Started off the inning fine, warned by the 1st base up for hopping (I assume) and inning extended from there. 1 got on base because of an illegal pitch, and then a walk, HB and then a single that scored 2.

7-1 Hawaii. This game is coming a part at the seams. The zone seems tight, but this is a replay of last weekend for Haegele. When in the zone, she's good. But she's not in there enough. Throws a ton of pitches. UH player plows in the catcher, doesn't appear to touch home plate, called safe. Don't really know, but when it rains it pours. GH hits 2 and walks 3. Hawaii plates 4 off of again just 1 hit.

Team just doesn't have a chance right now without Butterfield. She's MIA and the rest of the staff hasn't been up to par. Lots of yuck.

Grizfan-24 said:
Haegele has hit 1 and walked 2 in the bottom of the second. Started off the inning fine, warned by the 1st base up for hopping (I assume) and inning extended from there. 1 got on base because of an illegal pitch, and then a walk, HB and then a single that scored 2.

7-1 Hawaii. This game is coming a part at the seams. The zone seems tight, but this is a replay of last weekend for Haegele. When in the zone, she's good. But she's not in there enough. Throws a ton of pitches. UH player plows in the catcher, doesn't appear to touch home plate, called safe. Don't really know, but when it rains it pours. GH hits 2 and walks 3. Hawaii plates 4 off of again just 1 hit.

Team just doesn't have a chance right now without Butterfield. She's MIA and the rest of the staff hasn't been up to par. Lots of yuck.

I hoping for a run-rule game. Stop the bleeding and regroup tomorrow. Hopefully Brock will have another good showing and the bats will come alive.

HookedonGriz said:
This team is a disaster so far. Butterfield is obviously hurt?? They need her, badly.

I’d have to say hurt for sure and coach never says anything publicly until the start of the next season. She did the same with Makenna McGill when she tore up her knee. If Haegle and Joseph don’t get it dialed in, it’s gonna be a long season for Brock. Maybe she can give us an Michaela Hood/Tristan Achenbach like performance in the post season. If not, better luck next year.

maroonandsilver said:
Grace Hardy did not play either game yesterday, and is not in the lineup for the first game today.

Im guessing coach was giving the Fr, Se xton some playing time on Fri. I see Sexton was credited with the start in the Sat morn game but Hardy came in for her quickly and went 1-3. In the night cap she was all our offense going 3-3 with a homer, five RBI, and two runs scored.

I had to put a space in Se xton’s name because eGriz edits her name to “the deed”😂

Officially the worst start in program history? I’m very very very done with this coaching staff. Something is terribly off.

Program doesn’t seem to be trending up. Peaking in season 3 isn’t what you want. Really have to turn it around to even win 20 this year.

Back