• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ vs monmouth game thread

Credit where it's due: Monmouth is a good team who wasn't phased by the noise and environment, and Behar is one hell of a QB.

But if UM cannot find a way to get pressure on opposing QBs, there are some bsc guys who are going to put up video game like numbers.

EverettGriz said:
Credit where it's due: Monmouth is a good team who wasn't phased by the noise and environment, and Behar is one hell of a QB.

But if UM cannot find a way to get pressure on opposing QBs, there are some bsc guys who are going to put up video game like numbers.

Trenches....gotta get better.

Weird game. Griz won by 3 td - maybe 5 but I think this was the waste management ref retirement fund game - crowd left like the Griz got beat.

EverettGriz said:

Yeah, I thought it was interesting bringing so many delayed blitzes against a QB we didn’t really pressure on regular blitzes when he was keeping him in the game with the underneath game. I’m sure I’ll be corrected.

Good win,
This had trap game written all over it being between Oregon and Davis.
Next week we find out how good the Griz really are.
Can’t wait!

Grizbeer said:
Weird game. Griz won by 3 td - maybe 5 but I think this was the waste management ref retirement fund game - crowd left like the Griz got beat.
Reading the comments along the way (including my own), I’m not sure what the Griz have to do to impress.

Sneed was 30 of 40 passing (75% !) for 334 yards. Eight guys caught passes, six of them gaining over 40 years. That's pretty damn good.

Purdy missed two PATs, but Wilson average 46 yards per punt (of course, he only had to punt 3 times).

Knight was the shining light on the run game, but there were others … and together they piled up 221 yards rushing, for an average of over 5.5 yard-per-carry. Sheesh ... what more do we want?!

We knew going in (thanks, Brint) that the Monmouth QB could get hot, and he was: 34 of 50 for 393 yards. Pretty ugly. But the Griz D stuffed the run – net 81 yards – and made many key stops. Overall, the D forced them into six punts … so they were making plays.

Was it pretty? Did we fans get to sit back and relax? Nope. But the Griz made the plays they had to make, and then some. Most importantly, when the heat came on late -- an area that was scary-bad late last year -- both the O and the D stepped up.

Result: a very nice 20-point win, against a team with a lot of promise. The Hawks are now 2-2, but I looked at their schedule and can see them winning 6 or 7 games the rest of the way.

SoldierGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Agree. O-line was not overly effective until the 4th quarter. Their defense wore down. Best running numbers we have seen in a long time, but it just did not feel like a dominant o line performance. Turnovers also hurt. D line did a damn good job of containing the run. Their O-line provided really good pass protection. We had far too many holding or interference calls in the secondary. Not sure what to think after that game - other than it is a W. Bobby did say there were some guys banged up when he talked at halftime. Not sure who, when, etc. Next week is a big game.

Too many thought this was going to be a pushover team, myself included, despite Bdub's analysis and podcast with beer drinkin bros....😏 griz did well, no doubt. I dont care about pretty wins, I'll take fan described "Ugly wins" any day of the week over pretty losses, like we've suffered thru the last decade almost....

Harm said:
Too many thought this was going to be a pushover team, myself included, despite Bdub's analysis and podcast with beer drinkin bros....😏 griz did well, no doubt. I dont care about pretty wins, I'll take fan described "Ugly wins" any day of the week over pretty losses, like we've suffered thru the last decade almost....
+1 :thumb:

Didn’t watch the game. But just got through reading this thread.

Once again, the game day thread did NOT disappoint. Too fricking funny!

Just got home. Some things to clean up before we can call ourselves a "legit top ten team" like they are claiming on BCN but still pretty happy with this team overall.

3-0

Impressed with the many short yardage stops on 3rd and 4th downs by our D this year.

Still no BIG meltdowns 4th game in. Sneed gotta love him but he just won't go down on his own. It's just not in him.

At this point I'm seeing a better season against a tough schedule than I had anticipated before the first game.

There's hope.

Copper Griz said:
SoldierGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Agree. O-line was not overly effective until the 4th quarter. Their defense wore down. Best running numbers we have seen in a long time, but it just did not feel like a dominant o line performance. Turnovers also hurt. D line did a damn good job of containing the run. Their O-line provided really good pass protection. We had far too many holding or interference calls in the secondary. Not sure what to think after that game - other than it is a W. Bobby did say there were some guys banged up when he talked at halftime. Not sure who, when, etc. Next week is a big game.
R Hauck had X-ray in second quarter, but played in second half. Secondary played good, refs were terrible. Refs bailed out Hawks and extended a coulpe drives on ticky tac PI calls and roughing passer and it looked like Sandry had a good pick late and since WR put his hands on ball it was ruled a reception. Offense had several drops and two turnovers that lead to extra drives for the Hawks. Two rhythm drives for Monmoth that made Griz D look bad and Griz D looked good the rest of the game. Crowd did effect Hawks at times, false start on entire O line followed by Nash Int on goal line( entire O line were slow at snap because noise). Monmoth team was playing their hearts out and are a good team, Griz were better and won with a less than perfect performance. Easy to see why Bobby post game was so pleased with entire team.

I’m concerned about some injuries, but over all the Griz stayed in command of this game. Monmouth was very talented but like NAB, just not very deep and they wore out.

It seemed Sneed was very efficient but still has some room for making better decisions about when to run (like when he can easily get the first down), when to throw it away and avoid the sack, and when to slide and not try to run through three guys for an extra two yards and get stripped. Loved knight’s running. Loved Gubners hustle. Hauck and Dante were everywhere but need more help. The secondary was kinda off but some of that was a really good QB the Hawks have there. The refs lived up to BSC level expectations (sucked equally for both teams).

Reading the comments, you'd think the Griz lost by 20 instead of winning by 20! Can't anyone simply enjoy a victory for a few minutes? Of course it wasn't a perfect game; none of them are. But let's appreciate what these young men accomplished instead of bitching about what they didn't.

'68griz said:
Reading the comments, you'd think the Griz lost by 20 instead of winning by 20! Can't anyone simply enjoy a victory for a few minutes? Of course it wasn't a perfect game; none of them are. But let's appreciate what these young men accomplished instead of bitching about what they didn't.
+1

IdaGriz01 said:
'68griz said:
+1
For what it's worth, in Hauck's postgame on KGVO, he said something like, "If we don't clean things up, we'll get our asses kicked, next weekend." Sounded to me, somethings from this game really bothered him.

mtgrizrule said:
IdaGriz01 said:
'68griz said:
+1
For what it's worth, in Hauck's postgame on KGVO, he said something like, "If we don't clean things up, we'll get our asses kicked, next weekend." Sounded to me, somethings from this game really bothered him.
:lol: close...

"From our standpoint, it is great to win, and we did a lot of good things as well, but there is certainly a lot to clean up, or we are not going to survive next week," Hauck said.

Yukon said:
mtgrizrule said:
IdaGriz01 said:
'68griz said:
+1
:lol: close...

"From our standpoint, it is great to win, and we did a lot of good things as well, but there is certainly a lot to clean up, or we are not going to survive next week," Hauck said.
He did use "Ass Kicked" at some point. I don't remember how far into post game it was though.

Back