• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz picked second by coaches, media in preseason polls

oldrunner said:
CDAGRIZ said:
No apologies. I laughed. :lol:
As a matter of fact, we do have quite a few O and D line players who are returned Mormon missionaries. That only adds two years on. In the past, and I'm sure it happens across the country, we have had ex military guys who were in their mid to upper 20s. There are just as many disadvantages as advantages. It still comes down to strength, conditioning, skill and competitiveness. I'm not sure that age, or at least 2 years worth, is that significant. Maturity has more to do with culture and personality and less to do with ones age.

I just hope we get to have a season and a playoff. There are at least 4 or 5 teams that could win the BSC. Football is measured in yards, but is truly a game of inches.

Olds, I've been down this rabbit hole with egrizers before. Believe me, it's not worth your time.

oldrunner said:
CDAGRIZ said:
No apologies. I laughed. :lol:
As a matter of fact, we do have quite a few O and D line players who are returned Mormon missionaries. That only adds two years on. In the past, and I'm sure it happens across the country, we have had ex military guys who were in their mid to upper 20s. There are just as many disadvantages as advantages. It still comes down to strength, conditioning, skill and competitiveness. I'm not sure that age, or at least 2 years worth, is that significant. Maturity has more to do with culture and personality and less to do with ones age.

I just hope we get to have a season and a playoff. There are at least 4 or 5 teams that could win the BSC. Football is measured in yards, but is truly a game of inches.

Keep telling yourself having late-20s on the lines isn’t an advantage however you see fit.

missionary-positions-missionary-positions-67851606.png

CDAGRIZ said:
oldrunner said:

Keep telling yourself having late-20s on the lines isn’t an advantage however you see fit.
You are partially right. It's nice to have older, more mature players on our team. However, you are just seeing one side of that equation. For every successful return missionary football player there is also one that never returns to football or is never the same player. There are also those who, if they are highly talented, return to a higher level program that they have been recruited to while on their mission. With missionaries, you usually have to recruit twice as many as you may actually need in the future. You don't know what you are going to get when they return. I've seen skill position players return and never regain the speed and quickness they had in HS. It's a bigger crap shoot than you might think.

oldrunner said:
CDAGRIZ said:
You are partially right. It's nice to have older, more mature players on our team. However, you are just seeing one side of that equation. For every successful return missionary football player there is also one that never returns to football or is never the same player. There are also those who, if they are highly talented, return to a higher level program that they have been recruited to while on their mission. With missionaries, you usually have to recruit twice as many as you may actually need in the future. You don't know what you are going to get when they return. I've seen skill position players return and never regain the speed and quickness they had in HS. It's a bigger crap shoot than you might think.

Great points. Would be nice to have the option of late-20s men on the line, though. This is honestly no BS: If I was in charge of recruiting, I would definitely target kids who would get those extra years of development. Come in at 19, learn the ropes, redshirt, keep working out for two years, come back at 21-22 with a full clock. I’m in if I’m a college coach.

Back