• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz need a new logo

JayLarson said:
Pride and tradition and not changing things from a university that switched their team colors in the 90s? It is time for a little shake up of things, you can't get by on the tradition forever as we are starting to learn. I am all for pride and tradition but if nothing ever changes then complacency sets in, and maybe that is why there is not the big Monte entrance anymore and the lack of people standing up and yelling during games.

Well, to be accurate, the Griz actually switched their team colors back to their original prideful colors in 1996.

And just so I'm clear, even though there is nothing wrong with our current logos, and everyone associates them with the University of Montana Grizzlies, you are suggesting that we should change just because a few things within the program have become a little stale? Did Notre Dame change when they were struggling? How about Florida? Or Michigan?

Iconic brands are iconic for a reason. What we have is fantastic. We're among a rare few at the FCS level who have a recognizable brand.

Step away from the drawing board.

I was just giving my ideas, its not like I am not going to root for the Griz because of the logo, and the paw is getting used more and more. Just wanted to get a discussion going, looks like it is working.

JayLarson said:
I was just giving my ideas, its not like I am not going to root for the Griz because of the logo, and the paw is getting used more and more. Just wanted to get a discussion going, looks like it is working.

We don't have much else to discuss right now JL. Why the hell not. Tradition is great, but change is good also. Bottom line - performance on the field is what matters and the team could wear 1980's retro unis and fans would not bitch as long as the w's come in and the playoff victories rack up. Go Griz - still voting for more of the claw dammit!!!

'68griz said:
JayLarson said:
Pride and tradition and not changing things from a university that switched their team colors in the 90s? It is time for a little shake up of things, you can't get by on the tradition forever as we are starting to learn. I am all for pride and tradition but if nothing ever changes then complacency sets in, and maybe that is why there is not the big Monte entrance anymore and the lack of people standing up and yelling during games.
No, UM returned to what were the traditional colors from the strange Texas orange and piss yellow that Swarthout introduced.

That was copper,silver, and gold! It made us unique, kinda funny lookin' but unique. Maroon and Silver are sweet as well. It ain't the wrapping paper that determines if what is inside is worth anything.

I think we've had a similar thread in the past about this and I likely said the same thing. I like the simplicity and brand of the Griz script for the helmets and hope UM keeps it as the main helmet decal.

That being said, instead of the bland griz paw for an alternate, how about a griz head...something like the snarling griz head already used for some Montana merchandise mixed with the design of SUU's helmet (shadow print on a black helmet).
montana-grizzlies-alternate-logo-4-primary.jpg

southern-utah.gif

Or as another alternate option (when having "throw-back" games), use the logo for bball in the 80's/90's on the yellow helmet.
6900974814e56eac0c42602d3f89069a.jpg
Montana_OLD4.gif

il_570xN.340060652.jpg

Or how about something like these two pics mixed together with the traditional griz script or just "MONTANA" across his chest:
n42162086891_1566715_5221-thumb-415x244-38436.jpg

300px-Grizzly_Bear.png

Some other grizzly logos/pics for someone skilled and willing to do some helmet mock-ups:
22918742.jpg

toonvectors-43814-940.jpg

(if the extra lower dark mane below his chin and in the bottom right were removed this would be an alright profile logo head)
Grizzlies-Current.gif

3_cal_uni_400.jpg

detail_551_67_TattooTribalGrizzly_converted-BoW.png

(probably only works with a variation of the mane and head of this one)
stock-vector-tribal-grizzly-bear-vinyl-ready-vector-illustration-91461272.jpg

bear+roar.jpg

how-to-draw-a-grizzly-bear_1_000000001890_5.jpg

(I think the reared-up, roaring grizzly is the most intimidating pose but it would be hard to simplify and make it look cartoon-like for an adequate logo without looking like the 90's bball one I posted above)
25894.jpg

(just the head part of this with no mane would look pretty good)
709f1e1ab47c458631568d595e824f2c.jpg

All that really needs to be done is a modernization of the bear like my avatar.

AZGrizFan said:
The Yankees need a new logo.

Ya maybe we should ask the Yankees what to do in this situation, they would say, "Win a championship" and the logo will be just fine!" I had the same thought AZGriz! We don't have the generic bear that all of these other schools have to switch out every 5-10 years. We have GRIZ, the equivalent of the NY!!

GlacierGrizX said:
AZGrizFan said:

Ya maybe we should ask the Yankees what to do in this situation, they would say, "Win a championship" and the logo will be just fine!" I had the same thought AZGriz! We don't have the generic bear that all of these other schools have to switch out every 5-10 years. We have GRIZ, the equivalent of the NY!!

I think the Cowboys should consider switching from the star, too. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
GlacierGrizX said:
AZGrizFan said:

That star logo for whatever reason just doesn't scream "Cowboys" to me. They need to switch the logo to a cowboy to keep it fresh! :lol:

get'em_griz said:
AZGrizFan said:
GlacierGrizX said:
AZGrizFan said:

That star logo for whatever reason just doesn't scream "Cowboys" to me. They need to switch the logo to a cowboy to keep it fresh! :lol:

I believe the star stands for the "Lone Star state." How it signifies Cowboys, I don't know... I would prefer more griz paw emblems on griz merchandise instead of the UM symbol. I am a Montana Grizzly fan, not so much UM fan, if that makes any sense...

reinell30 said:
get'em_griz said:
AZGrizFan said:
GlacierGrizX said:

Understand your sentiment..unfortunately as UM goes so goes our Griz!

I believe the star stands for the "Lone Star state." How it signifies Cowboys, I don't know... I would prefer more griz paw emblems on griz merchandise instead of the UM symbol. I am a Montana Grizzly fan, not so much UM fan, if that makes any sense...

get'em_griz said:
AZGrizFan said:
GlacierGrizX said:
AZGrizFan said:

It should be a chrome cowboy on a matte black helmet with a neon green facemask. The outline of the cowboy should be taking a bong hit and one-arming it with a chick on a low rider horse with sick gold horseshoes.

Latest posts

Back