• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz have been pursuing and will be offering a form of Cost of Attendance

reinell30 said:
hilinegrizfan said:
reinell30 said:
Well there you have it...sell beer inside stadium and all profits go to COA?

we'd have those kids COA taken care of for the year before half time!

:party:

And the athletes can be the people selling the beer! Self help project if you will?

i like beer. i like to drink beer. sometimes i drink a lot of beer.

CDAGRIZ said:
I googled it already, but can anyone confirm that this is for full scholarship athletes only? I mean, it only makes sense that that would be the case, but I didn’t see that exact sentence. I also didn’t know we had 175 full scholarship athletes.

Honest question, gents. Given that FCS Football isn't headcount, from where do the 175 come? I'm just curious about the breakdown if anyone has the info.

Haslam said UM 175 full scholarships over 15 sports. I took him to say that the partials are grouped into that number too, as full schoolies.

He said that:

UM is moving forward with a plan for next year.

The "university system" will make some decisions, which I took to mean that the regents or MUS would have to approve it.

Financial aid says COA can be up to $3800.

$3800 times 175 is a lot of money.

He said different amounts of COA can be given to different athletes. I found that interesting and didn't know that.

Do full scholarship athletes from low income families already receive FCOA due to a full scholarship plus Pell Grant

PlayerRep said:
Haslam said UM 175 full scholarships over 15 sports. I took him to say that the partials are grouped into that number too, as full schoolies.

He said that:

UM is moving forward with a plan for next year.

The "university system" will make some decisions, which I took to mean that the regents or MUS would have to approve it.

Financial aid says COA can be up to $3800.

$3800 times 175 is a lot of money.

He said different amounts of COA can be given to different athletes. I found that interesting and didn't know that.

So, does anyone know if COA could apply to partials? Seems logically odd if it could, given that the term is COA. If it’s only for full rides, as the NCAA website suggests, maybe it’s less total money than we think.

wbtfg said:
Do full scholarship athletes from low income families already receive FCOA due to a full scholarship plus Pell Grant
https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2015-09-03/cost-attendance-qa

Q: May a student-athlete receive a Pell Grant in addition to a full athletics scholarship, which may include an amount designated for the cost of attendance?

NCAA rules allow college athletes who receive a Pell Grant to receive the cost of attendance or the value of a full scholarship plus the Pell Grant, whichever is greater.

So, with all of the references to FULL scholarships, I'm pretty confident now that COA only applies to full scholarships. It makes sense. Otherwise, the extra money would just be "raising" the percentage of a partial rather than providing COA. Haslam will probably laugh at my email. I'm still interested to learn how many full scholarship athletes UM and MSU have (i.e., if the 175 number is full scholarships).

CDAGRIZ said:
wbtfg said:

Q: May a student-athlete receive a Pell Grant in addition to a full athletics scholarship, which may include an amount designated for the cost of attendance?

NCAA rules allow college athletes who receive a Pell Grant to receive the cost of attendance or the value of a full scholarship plus the Pell Grant, whichever is greater.

So, with all of the references to FULL scholarships, I'm pretty confident now that COA only applies to full scholarships. It makes sense. Otherwise, the extra money would just be "raising" the percentage of a partial rather than providing COA. Haslam will probably laugh at my email. I'm still interested to learn how many full scholarship athletes UM and MSU have (i.e., if the 175 number is full scholarships).

Perhaps. My guess is that it also applies to partials. The only question would be whether the COA would have to be adjusted to the percentage partial that it is.

My guess is that the Q&A you cite probably also applies to partials.

I look forward to seeing what you learn.

"Schools vary on whether they are providing COA to partial-scholarship athletes. If they do, the award is sometimes based on the percentage of scholarship a player receives in relation to the COA number. An athlete with a 25-percent scholarship might receive 25 percent of COA."

"* Colorado’s COA is $3,970 out of state and $3,294 in state.
* Stanford’s personal expenses stipend for athletes is $2,625 and its travel stipend ranges from $405-$2,985 (varies based on domestic and international travel needs).
* UCLA’s COA is $5,941 off campus and $5,242 on campus.
* USC’s COA is $1,580. USC says its COA can rise to $2,151 based on factors such as new/continuing student and on/off campus."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2015-16-cbs-sports-fbs-college-football-cost-of-attendance-database/

PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:
wbtfg said:

Perhaps. My guess is that it also applies to partials. The only question would be whether the COA would have to be adjusted to the percentage partial that it is.

My guess is that the Q&A you cite probably also applies to partials.

I look forward to seeing what you learn.

I think you cracked it. It looks like schools can prorate it to the % of the partial if they choose.
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/col...cle_3f1259f1-f6f0-50c2-b44d-9d52cfbff6c8.html

"According to the NCAA, cost of attendance is “subject to federal guidelines [and] financial aid officers at each school determine the cost of attendance. Additionally, based on each school’s policies, a student’s cost of attendance can be adjusted based on his or her individual circumstances such as transportation, child-care needs and unusual medical expenses."

https://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/james-madison/as-jmu-and-w-m-are-establishing-cost-of-attendance/article_1c9a7488-8ffa-5f62-81c4-27017de0c9eb.html

PlayerRep said:
"Schools vary on whether they are providing COA to partial-scholarship athletes. If they do, the award is sometimes based on the percentage of scholarship a player receives in relation to the COA number. An athlete with a 25-percent scholarship might receive 25 percent of COA."

"* Colorado’s COA is $3,970 out of state and $3,294 in state.
* Stanford’s personal expenses stipend for athletes is $2,625 and its travel stipend ranges from $405-$2,985 (varies based on domestic and international travel needs).
* UCLA’s COA is $5,941 off campus and $5,242 on campus.
* USC’s COA is $1,580. USC says its COA can rise to $2,151 based on factors such as new/continuing student and on/off campus."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2015-16-cbs-sports-fbs-college-football-cost-of-attendance-database/

Oops, I must've posted at or near the same time. The article I linked is Mizzou only, but they prorate to the % of the partial.

PR, I think this quote from you is the truth, "I took him to say that the partials are grouped into that number too, as full schoolies."

So, great, I overthought it and ended up emailing the freaking AD with a dumbass question. Perfect.

CDAGRIZ said:
PR, I think this quote from you is the truth, "I took him to say that the partials are grouped into that number too, as full schoolies."

So, great, I overthought it and ended up emailing the freaking AD with a dumbass question. Perfect.

Just tell him you're EverettGriz on egriz. He will then understand the dumb question.

Actually, it's not a dumb question at all.

wbtfg said:

Just noticed your quote.....its dumb as hell and Lulay was never close to Dickensen

CDAGRIZ said:

Dont worry man, I emailed him two years ago letting him know how ridiculous it was that we had to order a Football Poster by printing out a physical piece of paper and then mail it into the school.

The year later they changed it to catch up with the decade.

Hey everyone. So, I received a response from Haslam. I'm not sure about the rules/ethics of posting exact copies of emails, but this is informational and hopefully OK to post:

For headcount sports (full scholarship or no athletic financial aid) of men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball, and women’s tennis it only applies to full scholarships since that type of aid is all that is offered. However, for equivalency sports (all others) COA can be divided in proportion to the athletic financial aid package. For example, a football player on 50 percent athletic financial aid may be awarded up to 50 percent of COA.

Basically, it's exactly what PR and others have explained. On the bright side, the AD responded to my email. On the flipside, he now knows of my secret life as an idiot. I'm honestly disappointed he didn't write "DUH!" at the bottom.
Just wanted to close the loop.

CDAGRIZ said:
Hey everyone. So, I received a response from Haslam. I'm not sure about the rules/ethics of posting exact copies of emails, but this is informational and hopefully OK to post:

For headcount sports (full scholarship or no athletic financial aid) of men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball, and women’s tennis it only applies to full scholarships since that type of aid is all that is offered. However, for equivalency sports (all others) COA can be divided in proportion to the athletic financial aid package. For example, a football player on 50 percent athletic financial aid may be awarded up to 50 percent of COA.

Basically, it's exactly what PR and others have explained. On the bright side, the AD responded to my email. On the flipside, he now knows of my secret life as an idiot. I'm honestly disappointed he didn't write "DUH!" at the bottom.
Just wanted to close the loop.

Good info. Thanks for reaching out and thanks for sharing.

Back