• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

GRIZ Ewu, game 2.

AZGrizFan said:
If if if. This is just a mediocre team. Plain and simple.

Based on record, yes. Based on what needs to be done to get more wins, no. Honestly, it's a matter of hitting shots.
DeCuire nailed it in post-game. The right players were taking the right shots. They just didn't fall. Can't really dispute that. He's 100% correct.

Post-Game thoughts:

1. Good news is that they can easily beat EWU. The bad news is they are essentially 5 games behind EWU after just 7 league games (4 games in loss column + 1 because EWU owns the tie-break).

2. 0 bench points

3. Whitney’s lack of outside shooting hurts the offense. EWU’s defender really sagged and clogged things up.

4. Against good teams, Montana has zero room for error.

5. Impressed with EWU’s game plan. They hunt mismatches like an NBA team and they have enough tall, skilled players where it can be almost anyone. Particularly posting the Griz smaller guards.

mtgrizrule said:
AZGrizFan said:

Based on record, yes. Based on what needs to be done to get more wins, no. Honestly, it's a matter of hitting shots.
DeCuire nailed it in post-game. The right players were taking the right shots. They just didn't fall. Can't really dispute that. He's 100% correct.
“Matter of hitting shots” can be said about almost any bad basketball team in the country. When you don’t have a prolific shot creator, guards who either can only drive or shoot and not both, your ceiling as a basketball team is going to be low. That’s how it is. Our best player at creating a shot off the dribble regardless of how they’re being guarded is a post player. That’s a problem

UMFan12 said:
mtgrizrule said:
“Matter of hitting shots” can be said about almost any bad basketball team in the country. When you don’t have a prolific shot creator, guards who either can only drive or shoot and not both, your ceiling as a basketball team is going to be low. That’s how it is. Our best player at creating a shot off the dribble regardless of how they’re being guarded is a post player. That’s a problem

I love reading excuse posts by fans, who explain another loss with the brilliant statement "we just need to hit our shots"! ROFL Isn't that the formula for any team winning a BB game? Maybe our players are not good enough shooters to hit their shots. 37% shooting for the game.

It should be obvious that the energy for Grizzly BB from the fan base is diminishing each week. Fewer posts, even during live games. As Michael Ray said, "the ship be sinkin'"

GrizLA said:
zengriz said:
…every possession needs to go through bannon…

Which is why they are going to lose.

...going thru bannon doesn't make him the shooter...
...at the point or in the paint..it sets up the offense...
...allow the offense to position for what comes up...
...coming down hucking up 3s isn't working for us...

...played the game...

RoseyMustGo said:
UMFan12 said:

I love reading excuse posts by fans, who explain another loss with the brilliant statement "we just need to hit our shots"! ROFL Isn't that the formula for any team winning a BB game? Maybe our players are not good enough shooters to hit their shots. 37% shooting for the game.

It should be obvious that the energy for Grizzly BB from the fan base is diminishing each week. Fewer posts, even during live games. As Michael Ray said, "the ship be sinkin'"

No probably becaused they watched the game. And while disappointed in the loss they realize it was college kids that lost a close game to a pretty good team. And then they went about their life rather than engage with an ass clown like you.

UncleRico said:
RoseyMustGo said:

No probably becaused they watched the game. And while disappointed in the loss they realize it was college kids that lost a close game to a pretty good team. And then they went about their life rather than engage with an ass clown like you.

Cute name-calling. Makes you look like who I am sure you are. I envy all of the people who haven't met you.

I'm gonna be honest, I thought we actually played a good game. We played well enough to win against the top team in the league on their home floor. Sometimes you don't shoot very well, that happens. The only thing I wish we would've done more was get the ball inside in the final minutes. With how poor they were shooting from behind the arc, we needed to give ourselves more opportunities in the paint. Our defense was a little lackluster down the stretch, but we still had a chance. I hope we see these guys in Boise in 2 months. This team is close and looks better now that Whitney is healthy, just gotta put 40 minutes together.

AZGrizFan said:

Don't be so negative. I'm sure we could lose 6 or 8 more games and still be really relevant at tournament time....

cclarkblues said:
AZGrizFan said:

Don't be so negative. I'm sure we could lose 6 or 8 more games and still be really relevant at tournament time....

Hilarious. The epitome of the glass-half-full fan. I know your post was made tongue in cheek

zengriz said:
GrizLA said:
Which is why they are going to lose.

...played the game...

Astute post. Just like the Denver Rockets go through Jokic on most of their offensive sets, it looks like Bannon is our best facilitator. Seems like most of the international players learn the art of passing, and fundamentals, much more than current American players. Fundamentals are sorely lacking with most American players these days.

RoseyMustGo said:
zengriz said:

...played the game...

Astute post. Just like the Denver Rockets go through Jokic on most of their offensive sets, it looks like Bannon is our best facilitator. Seems like most of the international players learn the art of passing, and fundamentals, much more than current American players. Fundamentals are sorely lacking with most American players these days.
Denver Rockets? You are dating yourself! :)

Missed the men's 64-57 loss to EWU because I was at the women's game... but just streamed the game tonight.

The Griz played a solid game all over the court... great offensive movement, nail-tough man-on defense, and one of their best rebounding efforts all season. Tied at 57 before things unraveled at the end. But.... The huge puzzle for me was to watch the Griz make only 5-for-28 from beyond the arc... on literally 28 open looks after watching them convert 13-for-27 vs ISU. I know that shooters have off nights, but it's still a puzzle watching hot go to ice cold within the span of 48 hours. Wonder which team will show up vs. the Cats on Saturday. Go Griz.

grizzlyjournal said:
Missed the men's 64-57 loss to EWU because I was at the women's game... but just streamed the game tonight.

The Griz played a solid game all over the court... great offensive movement, nail-tough man-on defense, and one of their best rebounding efforts all season. Tied at 57 before things unraveled at the end. But.... The huge puzzle for me was to watch the Griz make only 5-for-28 from beyond the arc... on literally 28 open looks after watching them convert 13-for-27 vs ISU. I know that shooters have off nights, but it's still a puzzle watching hot go to ice cold within the span of 48 hours. Wonder which team will show up vs. the Cats on Saturday. Go Griz.

Live by the sword, Die by the sword...............

grizzlyjournal said:

The key point to your post was "before things unraveled at the end". This is a recurring theme for a DeCuire-coached team. So, do we just give it a pass, or call it for what it is?

Back