• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz at North Dakota

That was disgusting. I will say that was a pretty poorly officiated game, but we still should have won. The big turning point was when we had back to back 1 and 1 opportunities and DJ and Bannan both missed the front end. UND had all the momentum and then the fouls started piling up. We relied on Whitney way too much in the second half and nobody else could get going offensively. This is a bad loss. UND is not a good team. I’m having flashbacks to last season. Might be another long season.

mtgrizrule said:
Repeating the last few seasons. Can't put.teams away, then lose a tight game.

Yep can't shoot...which means you are capable of going on 7-8min ice cold shooting runs at anytime so no lead is safe...its a good thing Whiteny got to the rim alot... And our D is not good, its solid and consistently fundamentally sound but only 13 TO forced with 7 more fouls than UND and at the end I didnt think there was anyone who was going to stop UND from getting a good look and not fouling.

Disappointed absolutely, Griz up by 14 in 2nd half and piss away the lead and lose by 3. Travis, your stock is beginning to wain. What was once great expectations has turned into question marks about his recruiting of big men. I have had unquestioned loyality but after 7 years and predicted to finish no better than 4/5 in the BSC this year is unacceptable.
Brandon Whitney was the only bright spot in tonight’s game with 30 points and everyone else shit the bed. Sorry Travis but our expectations are yet to be realized.

I'm not a Travis fan. He never tries to dictate tempo, change defenses, or run multiple offensive sets. It's really frustrating watching kids who haven't improved their game under his tutelage.

Ok I don’t think it’s appropriate to blame Decuire yet. We’re 3 games into the season, we got into really bad foul trouble early tonight, which forced us to change the game plan a bit, and now we got 4 straight home games all against teams we should beat. This is a wake up call moment for the team. Let’s see what happens. If this turns into a trend and we see big leads blown game in and game out like last season, then I’ll start to blame Decuire. I’m gonna try not to get to worked up about this as this was really tough travel and it’s cat Griz this week, but flush it and get ready for Omaha on Saturday.

Griz til I die said:
Ok I don’t think it’s appropriate to blame Decuire yet. We’re 3 games into the season, we got into really bad foul trouble early tonight, which forced us to change the game plan a bit, and now we got 4 straight home games all against teams we should beat. This is a wake up call moment for the team. Let’s see what happens. If this turns into a trend and we see big leads blown game in and game out like last season, then I’ll start to blame Decuire. I’m gonna try not to get to worked up about this as this was really tough travel and it’s cat Griz this week, but flush it and get ready for Omaha on Saturday.

:thumb:

Like everyone else on this thread, I'm bummed by Montana's loss, but until the 11:34 minute mark of the 2nd half (when Cameron Parker's bank shot gave the Griz a 61-48 lead), I was pretty excited about at Montana's game flow and play at both ends of the court in a place that's tough to get a win at. I was also complimenary of Montana coaches' direction of a versatile offensive attack that had given the Griz an (ahem) "comfortable" 13-point lead.

From that point until the final buzzer, here's how Montana's offense played out:
* Field goal shot MISSES by EIGHT (8) Montana players, FIVE taken within the paint. Beyond two made free throws from Parker, the only Griz to score over the final 11+ minutes was Whitney. Repeat: Montana missed 11 open shots, 5 in the paint, over the final 11:34. Whitney made 16 of Montana's final 18 points. It's important to repeat that those 11 misses were open looks from Montana's offensive sets after which the Griz collected only one offensive rebound.

I've always considered it pretty hypocritical (of myself) to blame a coach for missed (usually open) shots taken by his players while the players run the team offensive sets. I'm not going to blame the players, either. All were taking shots that were the result of Griz offensive sets. Basketball is a game of runs, momentum, chance and collapse.

During a game, a coach directs the game plan, from the sideline, calls time outs, alters game strategy and, especially directs the offense with occasional in-game changes of strategy. He does not shoot... make... or miss shots. I think Montana's game plan was a good one. What I did NOT expect was to watch in frustration while only one of 9 the players on the floor made a field goal, while missing 11 (two misses were by Whitney).

grizzlyjournal said:
Like everyone else on this thread, I'm bummed by Montana's loss, but until the 11:34 minute mark of the 2nd half (when Cameron Parker's bank shot gave the Griz a 61-48 lead), I was pretty excited about at Montana's game flow and play at both ends of the court in a place that's tough to get a win at. I was also complimenary of Montana coaches' direction of a versatile offensive attack that had given the Griz an (ahem) "comfortable" 13-point lead.

From that point until the final buzzer, here's how Montana's offense played out:
* Field goal shot MISSES by EIGHT (8) Montana players, FIVE taken within the paint. Beyond two made free throws from Parker, the only Griz to score over the final 11+ minutes was Whitney. Repeat: Montana missed 11 open shots, 5 in the paint, over the final 11:34. Whitney made 16 of Montana's final 18 points. It's important to repeat that those 11 misses were open looks from Montana's offensive sets after which the Griz collected only one offensive rebound.

I've always considered it pretty hypocritical (of myself) to blame a coach for missed (usually open) shots taken by his players while the players run the team offensive sets. I'm not going to blame the players, either. All were taking shots that were the result of Griz offensive sets. Basketball is a game of runs, momentum, chance and collapse.

During a game, a coach directs the game plan, from the sideline, calls time outs, alters game strategy and, especially directs the offense with occasional in-game changes of strategy. He does not shoot... make... or miss shots. I think Montana's game plan was a good one. What I did NOT expect was to watch in frustration while only one of 9 the players on the floor made a field goal, while missing 11 (two misses were by Whitney).

Seriously, in DeCuire's time here, feel free to name 1 great 3 pt shooter that we could rely on 40%+, with no less than 5 attempts per game. I'll wait. Yes, it's a pattern. Simply put, we don't utilize good 3 point shooters very well.

I think very highly of Travis as a coach and person. Honestly, why has it been an ongoing weakness, most every season?

Well, for what it's worth, my assessment of Travis' coaching encompasses his entire tenure as the Griz head coach. He would be very easy to prepare for because he runs one defensive scheme, two offensive sets (box & high pick and roll), and one early offense into the high pick and roll. Very predictable schematically as he rarely adjusts on either end of the floor.

UncleRico said:
zengriz said:
…that’s the montana kid…
…he’s leading all scorers…
…who knew..

… :shock: …
He tore it up at MSU-B last couple years. I think he started off at EWU but I may be wrong. He was a great high school player.

Not good enough to get recruited by UM though?

UncleRico said:
zengriz said:
…that’s the montana kid…
…he’s leading all scorers…
…who knew..

… :shock: …
He tore it up at MSU-B last couple years. I think he started off at EWU but I may be wrong. He was a great high school player.

Started at Eastern but only stayed a year. Fantastic high school player. His brother was an all-big sky forward for MSU and his dad has been at Great Falls High forever. Scrappy, hard-nosed Montana kid. Tough loss but fun to see a Montana kid succeed at the DI level.

Did you notice that the guard who beat you at the end was a transfer from Weber. He left us on good terms. He just wanted more PT and found it at UND. Great young man from a great family. I'm happy to see him having success at UND.

Travis has your guards playing well. Inside play seems to be the issue. Same as last year. Season is young yet. Things can and will change as we go along.

There is always a lull in scoring. Every game some stretch of many minutes of no points…or minimal points. That is one major consistency with his teams.

Grizrunr said:
I wish TD would try Whitney, Vasquez, Martin, Carter-Hollinger, Bannon as the 5 on the floor. I think they could be effective. I also think they are the 5 best we have. Beasley would be my 6th man.

I would disagree on this:

1. 4 players under 6'5 with a 6'3 6th man would be somewhat problematic.
2. This means Bannan is guarding the 5. While it could pay some dividends on offense, I don't want Bannan risking foul trouble and getting tired battling legitimate 5's down low.
3. Based on what you have seen this season, these are the 6 best players?

Back