• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz add Grad transfer CB from UTEP

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
Maybe we should set up a thread for never-played-the-gamers who want to make pure football comments. Not express their views; make pure football comments. "It's too late to switch from receiver to corner. That hasn't occurred at UM since last year at this time."

Looks like this kid will be a pure cover guy. I wonder if he was one of the transfer corners who visited Missoula the weekend before preseason practice started. Tuff Harris had a 10.68 at some meet. Don't think his all class record was that fast, but don't know for sure.

Do you think a guy who was already with the team, went through spring ball with the team, played WR against the team D and then switched to CB right before fall ball is at the same point as the guy who just signed?

Because I don’t. And I’m not suggesting he’s a bad pickup or that he’s gonna suck or that we don’t need him. But to presume he’s as up to speed as Calhoun was when HE switched is comical.

In terms of switching to cornerback, I don't think being on the team previously has much, if anything, to do with it; don't think being with the team in spring ball has anything to do with it; and don't think having played receiver against the D has anything to do with it. Playing corner has virtually nothing to do with those things. It's about having the tools, ability and knowledge to play corner. It's about quickness, speed, focus and discipline. It's about listening to coaches. Especially with regard to covering and tackling. This guy probably won't be able to learn the fancier zone and mixed coverages. That's complicated and takes time. He will likely be mainly a man cover guy. Anyway that's what I think.

I know nothing about this kid and have no idea whether he can get up to speed to play corner quickly, but the coaches must think he can, and that probably includes input from Pease as to how the kid played d-back in high school.

I didn't presume he was as up to speed as Calhoun. I merely pointed out that Calhoun had done the same thing last year.

Again, as for what you apparently think helped get Calhoun up to speed faster, I don't agree at all. In fact, I think your comments are downright silly.

AZ, your views/questions confirmed to me what I had said. Never played the game, and certainly never played corner.

I will give you one more example. I played linebacker, slot back and fullback in high school. Never played corner or safety once. I started at corner my frosh year in college.

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Maybe we should set up a thread for never-played-the-gamers who want to make pure football comments. Not express their views; make pure football comments. "It's too late to switch from receiver to corner. That hasn't occurred at UM since last year at this time."

Looks like this kid will be a pure cover guy. I wonder if he was one of the transfer corners who visited Missoula the weekend before preseason practice started. Tuff Harris had a 10.68 at some meet. Don't think his all class record was that fast, but don't know for sure.

GREAT idea!

I've also been thinking we should add one for played-the-game-in-the-leather-helmet-era. Mods??

Let's debate cornerback play. You first. Tell us something worth saying, and we can discuss or debate.

I just read that the NFL first required its players to use helmets in 1943, and went to plastic helmets in 1949. Other than a few posters like Spanky and 68, who on the board was even born in 1949?

Paytonlives said:
Ursus1 said:
Is he actually in practices yet?

Today... will have to get in 15 practices before he plays... don't quote me on that, seems to be what I remember.

I don't think high schools even have rule that long, do they?

I have a vague recollection that colleges have to have 10 practices before playing a scrimmage against another team or game. Don't recall ever hearing of any minimum practice number for a player, other than the more recent rules on no pads and few pads for the first few practices. Could be wrong, tho.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

GREAT idea!

I've also been thinking we should add one for played-the-game-in-the-leather-helmet-era. Mods??

Let's debate cornerback play. You first. Tell us something worth saying, and we can discuss or debate.

I just read that the NFL first required its players to use helmets in 1943, and went to plastic helmets in 1949. Other than a few posters like Spanky and 68, who on the board was even born in 1949?
A... Er…. Oh, forget it.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Do you think a guy who was already with the team, went through spring ball with the team, played WR against the team D and then switched to CB right before fall ball is at the same point as the guy who just signed?

Because I don’t. And I’m not suggesting he’s a bad pickup or that he’s gonna suck or that we don’t need him. But to presume he’s as up to speed as Calhoun was when HE switched is comical.

In terms of switching to cornerback, I don't think being on the team previously has much, if anything, to do with it; don't think being with the team in spring ball has anything to do with it; and don't think having played receiver against the D has anything to do with it. Playing corner has virtually nothing to do with those things. It's about having the tools, ability and knowledge to play corner. It's about quickness, speed, focus and discipline. It's about listening to coaches. Especially with regard to covering and tackling. This guy probably won't be able to learn the fancier zone and mixed coverages. That's complicated and takes time. He will likely be mainly a man cover guy. Anyway that's what I think.

I know nothing about this kid and have no idea whether he can get up to speed to play corner quickly, but the coaches must think he can, and that probably includes input from Pease as to how the kid played d-back in high school.

I didn't presume he was as up to speed as Calhoun. I merely pointed out that Calhoun had done the same thing last year.

Again, as for what you apparently think helped get Calhoun up to speed faster, I don't agree at all. In fact, I think your comments are downright silly.

AZ, your views/questions confirmed to me what I had said. Never played the game, and certainly never played corner.

I will give you one more example. I played linebacker, slot back and fullback in high school. Never played corner or safety once. I started at corner my frosh year in college.

Anybody here who knows me can assure you: Did play the game, but certainly I never played corner. :lol: You don’t see a lot of 6’2”, 275 lb corners in college. If you don’t think being around the team and in multiple practices helped him then there’s not much point in discussing it further. Your opinion is no different than mine. An opinion. Based off conjecture.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

GREAT idea!

A... Er…. Oh, forget it.

Note that I purposely left you out of the list.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Anybody here who knows me can assure you: Did play the game, but certainly I never played corner. :lol: You don’t see a lot of 6’2”, 275 lb corners in college. If you don’t think being around the team and in multiple practices helped him then there’s not much point in discussing it further. Your opinion is no different than mine. An opinion. Based off conjecture.

Sorry, but we don't agree, and you are wrong. Helped play man coverage at corner about 1%. You don't have a clue because you never played corner, and didn't play in college.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Sorry, but we don't agree, and you are wrong. Helped play man coverage at corner about 1%. You don't have a clue because you never played corner, and didn't play in college.

Who’s this “we” shit? You got a turd in your pocket?

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Who’s this “we” shit? You got a turd in your pocket?

You and I, or we.

By the way, you're opinion may be based off of conjecture, but mine comes from having played corner, and switching to corner, as well as talking to coaches over the years.

I switched from DE to role player, to bench to fan. In that order. And fairly rapidly. In 1976.

But we were pretty good back then. Lots of competition. Our QB was Jim McElwain. :thumb:

Seriously I’ve never seen a kid return so many punts and kicks for TDs in a highlight reel tape. I seriously lost count. I hope they pair him up with Malik Flowers on kick return

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/755069/5721b109bd746d007c3f1155

Interesting that a kid from Washington who had offers from the GRIZ, the cats and psu ended up at FAMU out of high school. Wonder what the connection was there.

Latest posts

Back