• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Give Us Our 2011 Season Back

uofmman1122

DONOR
With the news today that the NCAA is giving Reggie Bush his 2005 Heisman Trophy back, it's well past time the NCAA gave us our vacated wins and 2011 Big Sky championship back. The "improper benefits" found during that season pale in comparison to what Bush received, and with the way the NCAA is quickly losing ground on NIL (Virginia just passed a law saying schools can directly pay student athletes NIL money) it's going to look even more ridiculous going forward.

While I agree that we should get the 2011 season back, it's not perfectly square with the Heisman Trust deciding to return Bush's trophy. The HT snatched the trophy back in 2010, whereas the NCAA was the entity that levied the sanctions against UM and USC. Now, if the NCAA were to reinstate USC's vacated wins, I think they'd have to do the same for UM. That's a tough one, however, because how far back would the NCAA go?

While I agree that we should get the 2011 season back, it's not perfectly square with the Heisman Trust deciding to return Bush's trophy. The HT snatched the trophy back in 2010, whereas the NCAA was the entity that levied the sanctions against UM and USC. Now, if the NCAA were to reinstate USC's vacated wins, I think they'd have to do the same for UM. That's a tough one, however, because how far back would the NCAA go?
That's definitely a fair distinction, and a mistaken attribution on my part, but the point still stands. USC should get their wins back, just as we should. They can go back as far as they'd like for whatever team got disproportionately penalized for doing something that would be completely trivial in today's landscape.

The DUMBEST thing about this was that UM Administration suggested their own penalties and the NCAA was like uhhhhhhh, sure! F*ck that spineless punk-a$$ Royce Engstrom and his academic cronies.

The DUMBEST thing about this was that UM Administration suggested their own penalties and the NCAA was like uhhhhhhh, sure! F*ck that spineless punk-a$$ Royce Engstrom and his academic cronies.
And UM didn't hire an ncaa legal counsel until late in the game, like about June that year. The ncaa settlement was in late July. The ncaa counsel they did hire was a smaller practitioner/firm, who, at the time, didn't seem to have big experience and big pull. Royce was too busy telling the AD to get rid of some players he had heard rumors about, all of whom happened to be black. Then, Engstrom fired O'Day and Pflu.

With the news today that the NCAA is giving Reggie Bush his 2005 Heisman Trophy back, it's well past time the NCAA gave us our vacated wins and 2011 Big Sky championship back. The "improper benefits" found during that season pale in comparison to what Bush received, and with the way the NCAA is quickly losing ground on NIL (Virginia just passed a law saying schools can directly pay student athletes NIL money) it's going to look even more ridiculous going forward.
Agreed. UM had booster benefits. Supposed benefit to 2 players who were represented contingently (as the firm tired to set up a civil case), which even the ncaa didn't value as being worth much; and booster Sunday night home-cooked meals from a couple (not known to the athletic dept) who had met the players from church. I don't recall if the hot dogs/water to a few players after a game was even cited as a reason for the penalty. Likewise, the player being allowed to wash his clothes at a friend's house on occasion.

Lack of institutional control. Had UM had earlier ncaa counsel, or even someone in town like a few of us, UM would have been better prepared for interviews. For example, if ncaa asks a coach is someone is a booster, the coach shouldn't say "I assume so" (when he doesn't know for sure), instead of "I don't know." Just smaller basic mistakes should not have resulted in what UM got.

Engstrom was the worst friggin thing to happen to UM in... forever, academically and athletically. Seth Bodnar has turned the University completely around.

Engstrom was the worst friggin thing to happen to UM in... forever, academically and athletically. Seth Bodnar has turned the University completely around.
Agreed. Rumblings I've heard working around campus is that many faculty and upper mucky mucks liked him because "he was nice and friendly to talk with" and he had a faculty/tenue background and was viewed as "one of them". Some faculty like Seth and some don't (mostly from what I've heard it is the ones who are having trouble adapting to the reality of how things are now - and are slow playing tweaking their teaching style and degree offerings to current student needs).

Ultimately, the university (and the BOR?) chose wrong by choosing Engstrom, "the nice guy". Do you want your leader to lead and make the tough decisions or "be nice" and cow-tow to those who disagree?

The university still gets in its own way quite a bit, but President Bodnar has it going in the right direction.

Back