• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Give me one reason

The.Real.2506 said:
Lack of depth.

No. We have depth, but our staff never develops them in game situations. Instead, we keep our starters in until 2 minutes left in a blowout. Hell they didn't even play deep into the depth chart in the spring thrashing vs Portland state.

I was amazed to see how open the Sac St. receivers were while the Griz receivers couldn’t get any separation. It’s not just the offensive schemes. The Griz have some big wide receivers who lack speed to get separation. This has been an issue all year. Need to go out and bring in some speed in the off season. And, I suspect a new offensive coordinator.

justanotherfan said:
I was amazed to see how open the Sac St. receivers were while the Griz receivers couldn’t get any separation. It’s not just the offensive schemes. The Griz have some big wide receivers who lack speed to get separation. This has been an issue all year. Need to go out and bring in some speed in the off season. And, I suspect a new offensive coordinator.

It is not lack of speed.

I blame Stitt. He got blamed for everything, especially injuries when he was coach, so let's just keep that rolling.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Giving one reason is just too simple. I am not going to say that injuries don't play a part, but the offense has been bad all season, QB play has been inconsistent, play calling has been questionable, teams have figured out the defense and they have been slow to adjust, and kicking game has been average at best. Winning games for the remainder of the season is going to be a chore.

Spot on. Griz can beat the next 4 BSC teams they face though. Heal up!

Kadeezy said:
HookedonGriz said:
Our OC and his shit play calling

Outsider here - honestly head scratching yesterday and agree. Have to do more with Frosh QB - get him out of the pocket, let him run when WIDE open patches of grass. Why are you calling dive after dive for your converted speedy WR playing RB? I almost lost my $&@- on behalf of eGriz when I saw the dangerous 4th and short pass call when there was still plenty of time.

This!

Predictability. On both sides of the ball.

Everyone knows we’re going to run zone read on 1st and 2nd down and throw short of the sticks on 3rd down. You can almost set your watch to that schedule.

Everyone knows we’re going to send multiple linebackers and sit in a soft zone on almost every down. Robbie is going to creep up to pad tackle stats and Ford is going to lock down his receiver.

A middle school coordinator can game plan a way to beat these schemes because they’re so predictable. Until these offense and defensive schemes become less obvious, it won’t matter which freshmen are playing as 4th and 5th stringers.

CDAGRIZ said:
Kadeezy said:
And also, Sac State has tons of film this year getting burned on deep play action passes, by Dixie, UNI, And Cal.

Film? We don’t watch film. We do things the same way regardless of opponent and/or situation. The game plan was developed 20 years ago, and it worked just fine then. The staff cannot be bothered with trendy schemes involving passes beyond the sticks. Keep it between the tackles and win the line of scrimmage. If it doesn’t work the first 30 times, try the same f###[#] thing again.

This. What worked 20 years ago, isn’t working now. Even if the team was healthy they would hit a road block during the playoffs. Old thinking and inability to adapt will be the Achilles of Hauck if he doesn’t wake up. The game changed and will continue to. That is what the game requires.

It is sad that without drastic improvement on the offensive side of the ball, I am not sure that I could pick them to beat an Idaho team on the road that just lost by 50.

…one reason..
…after the punt/fumble/recovery…
…force the pass over the middle/interception…
…had four plays to work with the kid..flat got greedy…

… :shock: …

HookedonGriz said:
Griz til I die said:
That’s what your going with hooked? Ok honest question, what would you have like to seen us do offensively today with what we had? Our only running back we had remaining in the second half was Bergen and we saw that KB was clearly not capable of throwing downfield, so what would you have liked them to do? I’m honestly not all that upset about the play calling because I think the offense was tailored to the guys we had and what they’re capable of doing.

Hey rainbows and butterflies, don’t ask a question if you are going to get triggered by the answer. If we don’t have a QB who can throw down field then we don’t have a QB. If we don’t have an OC who is willing to take a shot here and there (or hell I don’t know make a throw more than 10 yards) then we don’t have an OC. The offense has been as bad as I’ve seen in probably a decade and it’s an absolute trend now, not an anomaly. That’s an issue with our OC first and foremost, and his schemes and play calling. There’s a reason we are 3rd and long 90% of the time. There’s a reason we are so bad at 3rd down conversions. There’s a reason we are only averaging 29 points and 360 yards per game….360 freaking yards.. So yes, that’s my answer.

Roseys complete unwillingness to throw on first down like every advanced offense has known to be the biggest offensive advantage in football over the last decade tells me all I need to know about where Rosenbachs head is at. Up his ass

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Roseys complete unwillingness to throw on first down like every advanced offense has known to be the biggest offensive advantage in football over the last decade tells me all I need to know about where Rosenbachs head is at. Up his ass

Yes, that sounds technically accurate to me, but what I am REALLY interested in is how you REALLY feel about our OC! :D

I believe we have a above average defense and a below average offense. I think we are just average this year. You can blame injuries, coaches, individual players or the moon phase. Fact is we are average, our win/ loss shows that.

injuries don't count when evaluating a team's performance, especially not injuries to the top qb. i learned that several years ago. it is all the fault of the coach.

more realistically, the defense looked slower than usual, by quite a bit. part of that was due to sac state - they have some players, and their qb arrangement seems to work well. i gotta wonder, though, if there was some contribution to the seeming slowness due to the effects of the rumored, long-lasting flu that supposedly hit the defense recently. not saying that was really the case, because sac state is better than they seem to be getting credit for, but other than lewis, the defense did look a step slower than usual. to me.
just guessing here, obviously.

argh! said:
injuries don't count when evaluating a team's performance, especially not injuries to the top qb. i learned that several years ago. it is all the fault of the coach.

Sure injuries are a consideration, but you are correct, it comes down to coaching.

Sac State had a crisper more explosive offense, run by a better quarterback. The same was true at Eastern Washington. The same will be true again this season, especially if we make the playoffs.

Cam may come back. Brown may develop into a very good quarterback. But in our two losses, we were inferior at the most critical position on the field.

There were other deficiencies yesterday--lack of a pass rush, poor tackling, lousy pocket protection--but if you want ONE reason, it's our deficiency at quarterback. Montana cannot return to its former glory until Hauck gets this fixed.

citay said:
Sac State had a crisper more explosive offense, run by a better quarterback. The same was true at Eastern Washington. The same will be true again this season, especially if we make the playoffs.

Cam may come back. Brown may develop into a very good quarterback. But in our two losses, we were inferior at the most critical position on the field.

There were other deficiencies yesterday--lack of a pass rush, poor tackling, lousy pocket protection--but if you want ONE reason, it's our deficiency at quarterback. Montana cannot return to its former glory until Hauck gets this fixed.
Assuming we don’t have an injury situation like the present case, I agree. It would be wonderful to have a Dave Dickenson or Craig Ochs, but there aren’t too many of that quality. I recall Ochs was a 4 star. Cam is a good quarterback, Brown, hopefully, will develop to become a good quarterback in time.Bobby and staff have been successful in their recruiting efforts with other positions. Perhaps now the focus should be on quarterback.

AKGriz72 said:
You hit the nail on the head.

Most telling example is that we are now down to our 5th string RB that’s a redshirt freshman converted from a WR.

Our whole team needs to sleep in a hyperbaric chamber this week.

Junior Bergen is an 18 year old true freshman. He was Billings Senior’s QB last fall.

Back