• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Final Thoughts?

I really hope they Michigan players think this is the same team as last year, because its not even close.

FT's & 3-pointers. They need to go .800/.400. Last year they were .730/.200

last year Montana had 56 FG attempts to Michigan's 47, but we shot just 32% from the field, including just 37% from 2-point range. If we shoot 56 attempts again tonight (with the same # of 3 attempts (15)), but make 40% of our shots (2's and 3's) and 80% of our FT's we would have 59-60 points instead of 47. I'd take that and let the chips fall where they may.

I kind of have this oddly calm feel that the Griz will hang around and have a good chance tonight. Especially after watching so many tight games early with teams as equally good as Michigan. However... those teams all equally as good as Michigan have mostly all won today (so far). My gut-feel is a closer game but Michigan generally holds Montana at enough of a length in score to just run it out (maybe holding a 2 to 3 score lead for more than half the game).

Just hope Montana doesn't come out and get shell-shocked by Michigan's size/speed/skill and by an officiating crew that won't be absolute trash like they're used to having in the conference. And yeah I know they didn't get shell-shocked early last year... but each year can tend to be different.

BWahlberg said:
Just hope Montana doesn't come out and get shell-shocked by Michigan's size/speed/skill and by an officiating crew that won't be absolute trash like they're used to having in the conference. And yeah I know they didn't get shell-shocked early last year... but each year can tend to be different.

Normally I would worry about this as well, but given that Rorie, Oguine, Pridgett, Moorehead, & Falls all saw significant minutes last year and our two main options off the bench are both P5 transfers....I think we'll be fine. As long as we're just not "outgunned" or outsized.

BWahlberg said:
I kind of have this oddly calm feel that the Griz will hang around and have a good chance tonight. Especially after watching so many tight games early with teams as equally good as Michigan. However... those teams all equally as good as Michigan have mostly all won today (so far). My gut-feel is a closer game but Michigan generally holds Montana at enough of a length in score to just run it out (maybe holding a 2 to 3 score lead for more than half the game).

Good point on the foul calling. By and large, we've been impressed by the officiating so far. But there have been three or four games where it seemed like the crew has been pretty heavily biased toward the "favored" team (that is, the better seed). Most games, we have no favorites other than our picks, which go by the numbers (yeah, I'm that guy). That means we're mildly rooting for the better seed ... but it still bothers us when the calls do not seem as even-handed as they should be.

Hope that doesn't happen in the Griz game. (Of course, if they somehow favor the Griz, we'll be perfectly happy. ;) :lol: )

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:

Normally I would worry about this as well, but given that Rorie, Oguine, Pridgett, Moorehead, & Falls all saw significant minutes last year and our two main options off the bench are both P5 transfers....I think we'll be fine. As long as we're just not "outgunned" or outsized.

This is my view too. Michigan is certainly better and has more talent, but I too don't think the Griz will be intimidated and do think they are likely to play good defense and hopefully shoot 50%. I haven't seen Michigan, but I think the Griz will be more athletic, just like they were last year. Last year, their bigs shut down our bigs, and their helped the Griz go cold shooting in the second half. Michigan has a new big this year, and we don't have any bigs to be shut down.

"David stood on that barren plain facing the most fearsome of giants, Goliath. He did not worry what the analysts said, what the point spread was or what he was seeded. The future King of Israel merely slipped a stone into his sling, and full of faith he stepped forward and said "Let's Rock!". " - The Right Reverend

cclarkblues said:
"David stood on that barren plain facing the most fearsome of giants, Goliath. He did not worry what the analysts said, what the point spread was or what he was seeded. The future King of Israel merely slipped a stone into his sling, and full of faith he stepped forward and said "Let's Rock!". " - The Right Reverend

That's great

AZGrizFan said:
I really hope they Michigan players think this is the same team as last year, because its not even close.

last year Montana had 56 FG attempts to Michigan's 47, but we shot just 32% from the field, including just 37% from 2-point range. If we shoot 56 attempts again tonight (with the same # of 3 attempts (15)), but make 40% of our shots (2's and 3's) and 80% of our FT's we would have 59-60 points instead of 47. I'd take that and let the chips fall where they may.

Talk about deja vu. We’ve taken 8 more shots, but made 5 less. Shooting 14% from 3-point range.

Unbelievable.

AZGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Talk about deja vu. We’ve taken 8 more shots, but made 5 less. Shooting 14% from 3-point range.

Unbelievable.

Seriously like an instant replay of last year.

Once again, 9 more attempts than Michigan, but made 5 less.
32% last year. 33% this year.
20% from 3 last year. 25% this year.
73% FT’s last year. 69% this year.

That ain’t gonna get it done. Ever.

AZGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Unbelievable.

Some improvement and 8 more points. Look at the bright side.

IF we shoot 13-24 from 3, we win.

We were a little rattled early by their length and never really recovered, it was crazy how tight we were on the close shots/layups but that's how it goes when you can't buy one and start thinking about it.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:
AZGrizFan said:

Unbelievable.

Some improvement and 8 more points. Look at the bright side.

IF we shoot 13-24 from 3, we win.

Even 40% from the field gets us 12 more points minimum. And then the game is at least competitive. Just not sure why we continually shrink from the spotlight.

If we are going to continue to average 30+ % from the field, we are going to have to heave up a lot more shots.

Latest posts

Back