• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS vs FBS upset guesses Week 0 & 1

Who has the best chance to upset an FBS team in Week 0 & Week 1

• #2 South Dakota St. at (FBS)Iowa

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • #17 Southeastern Louisiana at (FBS) Louisiana

Votes: 15 18.8%
  • #19 Delaware at (FBS)Navy

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • #21 Northern Iowa at (FBS)Air Force

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • #24 Richmond at (FBS)Virginia

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • #25 **UC Davis at (FBS)California

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • North Dakota at (FBS)Nebraska

• Maine at (FBS)New Mexico

Votes: 26 32.5%
  • **Northern Arizona at (FBS)Arizona St. (Blowout)

• **Idaho at (FBS)Washington St.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • **Cal Poly at (FBS)Fresno St. (Blowout)

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • **Portland St. at (FBS)San Jose St. (Lost by 4)

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • VMI at (FBS)Wake Forest (Blowout)

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • South Dakota at (FBS)Kansas St.

• FTC

Votes: 42 52.5%

• Total voters
indian-outlaw said:
I think Davis can beat Cal. I also think Delaware can beat Navy. But why the FTC or cats suck in every one of these polls? Is that different than the esg chant that breaks out randomly? Who lives in whose head rent free?

I completely agree with you. Some of this Cat-Griz stuff is just plain stupid.

Not willing to put money on this.... But Idaho will give WSU a game

I say one site that said Idaho is a 25 point underdog, I bet it comes out higher than that.

I take Idaho if I get any where hear 30 points

Paytonlives said:
I say one site that said Idaho is a 25 point underdog, I bet it comes out higher than that.

If Idaho is going to give WSU a game, WTF would you need to wait until it gets to 30 points for?

AZGrizFan said:
Paytonlives said:

If Idaho is going to give WSU a game, WTF would you need to wait until it gets to 30 points for?

It was just one dudes opinion... waiting for the real numbers to come out.

Just think WSU will start slow and this is a Super Bowl game for the spuds

New Mexico is a dumpster fire amongst dumpster fires.
I think Maine has a chance in this one.

I despise Northern Iowa but them beating Air Force would not shock me.

fltheadgriz said:

One of my choices.

And, after reading the latest bits out of the UNM program, I've somewhat upped my expectations for an upset. The one positive note out of their camp on offense is how well a WR have come back from a broken ankle. The other fact of note is that they have installed a new triple option attack ... and they're excited to have FIVE quarterbacks lined up to compete for that position. The top candidate seems to be a senior who transferred in from Kansas (whoopee!). He may have done option in high school, but zip on that since. Properly executed, the triple option can be hard to handle for teams that seldom see it. But execution is bound to be a problem in a first game ... as of four days ago, they had not actually picked a starter. Advantage: Maine.
As mentioned in my earlier note, the Lobos love their defense (because it largely stuffed their inept offense :? ). But a look under the hood shows that they are thin and lack quality experience (and they were crappy last year). Advantage: Pickum.

I'd be willing be bold on this one, except for two points: (1) The Black Bears are breaking in a new Head Coach. Plenty of FCS experience, but new to Head. (2) Barring a big surprise, it's going to be HOT in Albuquerque. Maine could run out of gas.

IdaGriz01 said:
fltheadgriz said:

One of my choices.

And, after reading the latest bits out of the UNM program, I've somewhat upped my expectations for an upset. The one positive note out of their camp on offense is how well a WR have come back from a broken ankle. The other fact of note is that they have installed a new triple option attack ... and they're excited to have FIVE quarterbacks lined up to compete for that position. The top candidate seems to be a senior who transferred in from Kansas (whoopee!). He may have done option in high school, but zip on that since. Properly executed, the triple option can be hard to handle for teams that seldom see it. But execution is bound to be a problem in a first game ... as of four days ago, they had not actually picked a starter. Advantage: Maine.
As mentioned in my earlier note, the Lobos love their defense (because it largely stuffed their inept offense :? ). But a look under the hood shows that they are thin and lack quality experience (and they were crappy last year). Advantage: Pickum.

I'd be willing be bold on this one, except for two points: (1) The Black Bears are breaking in a new Head Coach. Plenty of FCS experience, but new to Head. (2) Barring a big surprise, it's going to be HOT in Albuquerque. Maine could run out of gas.

We are right in the middle of monsoon season and it has only been in the 80s here. Besides which, it's a night game so by 6:00 or 7:00 p.m. it's already starting to cool off a bit. Maine may not pull out a win but the weather won't be the reason.

Meanwhile, I'll be in Missoula that weekend where it actually has been very hot.

Just noticed that the #1 vote-getter for an actual upset is SDSU at Iowa. Not sure what's up with that. Iowa was 10-4 last year and won the Big Ten West Division. They lost some starters, but not too many ... and the "next men up" all seem to be quality players. This looks more like a "hope" vote than a realistic chance at an upset.

IdaGriz01 said:
Just noticed that the #1 vote-getter for an actual upset is SDSU at Iowa. Not sure what's up with that. Iowa was 10-4 last year and won the Big Ten West Division. They lost some starters, but not too many ... and the "next men up" all seem to be quality players. This looks more like a "hope" vote than a realistic chance at an upset.

I'm not saying that I expect sdsu to pull off the upset, but I wouldn't be surprised either...

Sdsu is stacked on offense, their starting qb. From the spring season of 2020-2021 mvfc newcomer of the year mark gronowski, stud running back Isiah Davis, returning all American tight end tucker kraft who is an projected NFL draft pick, returning starting wide recievers in twin brothers Jaden and Jaxon janke, Jaxon is returning all conference selection.. they have two returning starting offensive linemen from last year back.

If the sdsu defense is even average, they will be a handful for everybody they play.

Sdsu-iowa will be a battle for four quarters.

Cowboys84 said:
IdaGriz01 said:

I'm not saying that I expect sdsu to pull off the upset, but I wouldn't be surprised either...

Sdsu is stacked on offense, their starting qb. From the spring season of 2020-2021 mvfc newcomer of the year mark gronowski, stud running back Isiah Davis, returning all American tight end tucker kraft who is an projected NFL draft pick, returning starting wide recievers in twin brothers Jaden and Jaxon janke, Jaxon is returning all conference selection.. they have two returning starting offensive linemen from last year back.

If the sdsu defense is even average, they will be a handful for everybody they play.

This situation doesn't usually fall into the "pro" column. lol

poorgriz said:
Cowboys84 said:

It is when they are both named to the fcs all American team.

How many teams can you name that have two all Americans on the o.line

Cowboys84 said:
poorgriz said:

Oh I have no doubt those are two stud players. I was just poking fun at the positive spin of losing three starters on the OL....... I know the situation because that's where the Cats are at, haha

fltheadgriz said:

Air Force will contend for the MWC title this year. Return 4 o-linemen, and 5 of their backs including QB. Their defense should be improved.

Air Force wins this game by 20.

poorgriz said:
Cowboys84 said:

Oh I have no doubt those are two stud players. I was just poking fun at the positive spin of losing three starters on the OL....... I know the situation because that's where the Cats are at, haha
Who are the two all-american cat o-lineman??? Oh I see not the same situation.

Not one of the choice, for obvious reasons ... and it didn't turn into an upset.

But if I'm Akron, I'd start taking a hard look at my hole card. Had to go into overtime, at home, to win over a not-very-strong FCS St. Francis (PA) team. :eek:

IdaGriz01 said:
Not one of the choice, for obvious reasons ... and it didn't turn into an upset.

But if I'm Akron, I'd start taking a hard look at my hole card. Had to go into overtime, at home, to win over a not-very-strong FCS St. Francis (PA) team. :eek:

According to the announcers they were "a quality team in the fcs" or something of that sort. I lol'd till I couldn't breathe. Was hysterical.

Plus for those who picked Delaware ... they lead Navy 7-0 at the half.

Okay for those who picked SDSU ... tied with Iowa, 3-3, at the half.

Not so hot for those of us who picked Richmond ... they're losing to Virginia, 21-10, with over 9 min left in the 1st half.

Back