• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU and downtown Spokane stadium?

The stadium is intended to host a 3rd division pro soccer team along with HS football. There’s something of a building boom of stadiums in the 5,000-20,000 range of late, mostly for soccer. I’d read that this tops out at 5K.

The talk on the EWU board seems to center around playing football games in that stadium. Hadn’t seen this reference to “championship events,” which might well mean Big Sky soccer. My point is, however, this wouldn’t happen if a soccer team can’t sell beer in the stadium. Extra $$. Besides, the only football I’d imagine EWU playing there would be early September when they’re playing some unknown.... and probably use it to recruit Spokane high schoolers to the school.

BTW, a somewhat similar soccer stadium is proposed in Eugene.

I am not tracking. Are they going to have 2 stadiums? A new, glorified HS one in the downtown city and keep that used maxi pad field out in the sticks? 50 miles apart?!?

Guess multiple stadiums are not unheard of in the BSC. Maybe it just sounds weird because the dumbcats’ stadiums all share the same field.

garizzalies said:
I am not tracking. Are they going to have 2 stadiums? A new, glorified HS one in the downtown city and keep that used maxi pad field out in the sticks? 50 miles apart?!?

Guess multiple stadiums are not unheard of in the BSC. Maybe it just sounds weird because the dumbcats’ stadiums all share the same field.

I don't think EWU will play much football in Spokane.

Much? What the hell does that mean?—yes, there will be two stadiums?

And depending on the time of year the game could be played at the world’s worst eyesore, or some HS soccer field in another county?

Good grief I’m starting to agree with EG—the BSC is total trash 🗑

garizzalies said:

And depending on the time of year the game could be played at the world’s worst eyesore, or some HS soccer field in another county?

It means EWU will almost always, if not always, play on the eyesore.

HelenaHandBasket said:
garizzalies said:

It means EWU will almost always, if not always, play on the eyesore.

On the surface that seems like a shit strategy. I thought they were embracing Spokane and hoping it would embrace them back. I figured the red field was just going to be a low-rent standby retention pond in case the oil filter building ever failed.

Just from the posts here, and from the financial problems reported, again here, it appears EWU may have decided DII is where it should be. Sad. 5,000 seat stadium is high school level, not FCS.

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Maybe you have more insight, AZ, but I seem to recall that SA built the Alamo Dome in an effort to attract an NFL team or expansion team? Am I making that up? In the end, the Spurs played in half of it with a gigantic blue curtain. Interesting to learn what it’s used for now. Thx for the info.

It does seem underutilized, but it is a very nice stadium...Alamo Bowl is usually a fun game...and it is walking distance to the River Walk. Have been to half a dozen UTSA games...not a bad game day.

Oh, it’s beautiful. Especially after the $100 million facelift they gave it a couple years ago to attract the Final Four. Doesn’t change the fact it’s a money pit.

And agreed completely on the Alamo Bowl. Our COO is past chairman of the Alamo Bowl board, and we have a number of seats/tickets to the game every year....a complete blast, always a great game, and usually in top 4 attendance AND viewership....

goatcreekgriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
The current Albi is going to be demolished. They are going to build a new middle school at the location and then a smaller stadium. The location of that smaller stadium is still undecided, but it will either be built on a smaller portion near the current location or downtown.

Sounds like the train on Albi left the station before EWU was ready to board. The article says Hickey is from San Antonio and she raved about what a downtown stadium did for San Antonio. Well, Spokane is not San Antonio, not even close. I recall a ballot issue when I lived there that would have raised gas taxes about two cents a gallon to fix Spokane’s crappy roads. It was voted down. Not a good sign for a new stadium.

First, they would need to find space downtown. Kind of hard to imagine where it would be. Second, they need to pay for it. I don’t think an assessment in a ballot issue will get any traction. I suppose the local government could issue bonds, but the Spokane Arena was a big project and I wonder if it has been paid off. Then there’s other needs for financing (i.e., Spokane Transit Authority) and one has to wonder what bonding capacity exists. Remember, Washington does not have an income tax. Finally, EWU is not Gonzaga, WSU, or even the Spokane Chiefs. Nobody gives a shit.

EWU is Division II bound, or NAIA. Game, set, match.

Probably correct.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/31402209/hartford-athletics-transitioning-division-division-iii

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:
It does seem underutilized, but it is a very nice stadium...Alamo Bowl is usually a fun game...and it is walking distance to the River Walk. Have been to half a dozen UTSA games...not a bad game day.

Oh, it’s beautiful. Especially after the $100 million facelift they gave it a couple years ago to attract the Final Four. Doesn’t change the fact it’s a money pit.

And agreed completely on the Alamo Bowl. Our COO is past chairman of the Alamo Bowl board, and we have a number of seats/tickets to the game every year....a complete blast, always a great game, and usually in top 4 attendance AND viewership....

Friggin love when Iowa State or Kansas State come to town...their fans are fun and pack the streets downtown.

A soccer stadium like Pizza Hut Park in Frisco Texas would do well in Spokane. Lots of prep teams to keep it busy. No need to get the Eags involved.

Back