• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Eastern Washington Eagles Scouting Report

BWahlberg said:
I’ll say this… if the Griz can hit most of the points I’ve discussed above and especially be more efficient on 3rd down than EWU I see them winning in a 42-38 type of fashion. However if the Griz show inconsistency and stumble on 3rd downs then I see EWU coming away with a multiple score win, maybe something like 52-31.

So......which is it?

"So....which is it?"

Neither one. I am going to believe in the Griz. And I don't believe in lost causes. This one is actually possible.

Griz2k said:
BWahlberg said:
I’ll say this… if the Griz can hit most of the points I’ve discussed above and especially be more efficient on 3rd down than EWU I see them winning in a 42-38 type of fashion. However if the Griz show inconsistency and stumble on 3rd downs then I see EWU coming away with a multiple score win, maybe something like 52-31.

So......which is it?

I'm leaning 42-38 Griz :thumb:

What still scares me is our secondary. We still seem out of position and receivers being wide open. That needs to consistently change. If we play tight D and have pressure on the QB we should come away with several picks and a double digit winning margin.

38-24 Griz

IdahoGrizFan said:
What still scares me is our secondary. We still seem out of position and receivers being wide open. That needs to consistently change. If we play tight D and have pressure on the QB we should come away with several picks and a double digit winning margin.

38-24 Griz

Agreed there. This will be a big test to see what they're really made of.

IdahoGrizFan said:

38-24 Griz

I gotta say you sure are an optimistic bunch. I think Vegas odds has EWU by 11, you're stating a backup QB, but what the hell.

poorgriz said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

38-24 Griz

I gotta say you sure are an optimistic bunch. I think Vegas odds has EWU by 11, you're stating a backup QB, but what the hell.
How much thought/research/whatever goes into Vegas line for FCS games? I'm almost certain it's not as much as FBS and NFL games.

And I'm sorry, but a blowout win over Fordham this year isn't much more impressive than one over Savannah State.

poorgriz said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

38-24 Griz

Says the 0-2 team fan who predicts MSU to blow out UND on the road. I think Vegas has UND by 7, your QB can't pass but what the hell.

poorgriz said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

38-24 Griz

You cat fans are all the same , My retarded cousin Howie already has the scats Big Sky Champs and your QB as all world. Keep up the shit talk .I am letting the next few games play out and see where the cards land . FTC FTC FTC FTC FTC ( means For The Championship BTW )

BWahlberg said:
Griz2k said:
BWahlberg said:

So......which is it?

I'm leaning 42-38 Griz :thumb:

:thumb:

Griz should win this game at home with a crazy crazy crowd.
Every first start for a Griz back up QB under Stitt has been off the charts! Didn't Chalich and Simis both tie or break the TD record in their first starts?

Interesting stat Montana has forced 5 ints EWU 0

poorgriz said:
IdahoGrizFan said:

38-24 Griz

The line is based on getting money bet fairly evenly on both sides. That's why it moves. Has nothing to do with what they think the final margin will be.

I don't see either team scoring over 48 points, at least without OT points. If UM wins, then they can't give up 40 points. A win will have to include a strong defensive performance by the Griz, and not giving up close to 40 points. I'm not sure the Griz offense can score 48 points against EWU. I still think the Griz have a good chance of winning. This is based on EWU not being nearly as good as it was, near coach, new receivers, etc., and the Griz having good potential on both sides of the ball and a talented new qb who will be more than credible.

Before Phillips went down, I was fairly confident the Griz would win. EWU played better against Fordham than I thought they would, except for the 5 turnovers. Perhaps Fordham isn't as good as I thought they were.

My take. O-line has been playing well, and 1st team line has given up only 1 sack this season. Lee is running well and adding good dept. Hopefully, he has cleaned up his pass blocking after his mistakes at UW. I hope the d-line can apply some pressure, but I assume we'll bring some heat too. The d-line, and backers, have been stopping the run. Think secondary has been getting its act together and the return of Strong helps. There is some depth in the secondary now too. The return of Strahm helps. The receivers are good and deep, but they needs to catch all balls. ST have stepped it up this year. Kupp and Bourne are gone.

Jensen needs to avoid mistakes, but while he is not Phillips, I am hoping he will play well and will improve quickly over the season. My impression is that the kid has a lot of confidence, to go with his smarts and physical abilities. Good luck to him in particular.

UM held EWU to 7 short drives last year, but gave up 5 big plays, of which 4 were TD's--or something like that. Drives of 19, 4, 3, 14 (in 40 of first 6 drives), the 3 TD's in a row, and then drives of 0, 21 and 13 and a pick after a longer drive. EWU's 5 TD's were on drives with 2,5, 8, 7 and 4 plays. Obviously, UM can't give up a bunch of big plays.

PlayerRep said:
I don't see either team scoring 40 points, at least without OT points. If UM wins, then they can't give up 40 points. A win will have to include a strong defensive performance by the Griz, and not giving up close to 40 points. I'm not sure the Griz offense can score 40 points against EWU. I still think the Griz have a good chance of winning. This is based on EWU not being nearly as good as it was, near coach, new receivers, etc., and the Griz having good potential on both sides of the ball and a talented new qb who will be more than credible.

Before Phillips went down, I was fairly confident the Griz would win. EWU played better against Fordham than I thought they would, except for the 5 turnovers. Perhaps Fordham isn't as good as I thought they were.

My take. O-line has been playing well, and 1st team line has given up only 1 sack this season. Lee is running well and adding good dept. Hopefully, he has cleaned up his pass blocking after his mistakes at UW. I hope the d-line can apply some pressure, but I assume we'll bring some heat too. The d-line, and backers, have been stopping the run. Think secondary has been getting its act together and the return of Strong helps. There is some depth in the secondary now too. The return of Strahm helps. The receivers are good and deep, but they needs to catch all balls. ST have stepped it up this year. Kupp and Bourne are gone.

Jensen needs to avoid mistakes, but while he is not Phillips, I am hoping he will play well and will improve quickly over the season. My impression is that the kid has a lot of confidence, to go with his smarts and physical abilities. Good luck to him in particular.

UM held EWU to 7 short drives last year, but gave up 5 big plays, of which 4 were TD's--or something like that. Drives of 19, 4, 3, 14 (in 40 of first 6 drives), the 3 TD's in a row, and then drives of 0, 21 and 13 and a pick after a longer drive. EWU's 5 TD's were on drives with 2,5, 8, 7 and 4 plays. Obviously, UM can't give up a bunch of big plays.

Well said. Although I do think the Griz can score 40 on this version of the EWU D. Agree with all the rest tho.

PlayerRep said:
I don't see either team scoring 40 points, at least without OT points. If UM wins, then they can't give up 40 points. A win will have to include a strong defensive performance by the Griz, and not giving up close to 40 points. I'm not sure the Griz offense can score 40 points against EWU. I still think the Griz have a good chance of winning. This is based on EWU not being nearly as good as it was, near coach, new receivers, etc., and the Griz having good potential on both sides of the ball and a talented new qb who will be more than credible.

Fordham was also without their All-American RB last week, at least I think that is what I read somewhere.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Well said. Although I do think the Griz can score 40 on this version of the EWU D. Agree with all the rest tho.

The EWU defense has improved under their new DC.

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:

Fordham was also without their All-American RB last week, at least I think that is what I read somewhere.

True. And he had been out previously too, I believe. Trivia. Fordham's stadium is way up in the Bronx directly across from the incredibly beautiful and fairly large NY (Bronx) botanical garden. I went to a wedding there this summer, and drive right by the stadium as we turned into the venue.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

The EWU defense has improved under their new DC.

Yea they looked great vs NDSU

If you watched the Fordham game...Fordham was not good. The QB was all over the place. The Oline missed assignments all day long. Still put up 21. NDSU ran to the left, right, up the middle. Threw slants, screens, streaks and posts and EWU was awful giving up 325+ on the ground and could have given up another 400 passing of NDSU wanted. Was NDSU just that good? Maybe but EWUs D really has not impressed. They do bring more pressure than before and do get more sacks, their Dline is pretty good. However, because of the pressure they give up a lot of space.

PS- reminder that Fordhams only win is by 7 over central Connecticut state who ranks about about 10 spots over savannah state

Brint, well done, nice report, a fun read.

I don't know if anyone can really tell how good or bad Eastern and UM are. UM has played 3 cupcake games, and Eastern played two teams that would dominate most everyone in the FCS (except JMU) and an overrated Fordham team.

Offensively Eastern is very young, only one senior starts, and a most of the backups are underclassman. Eastern really struggled to move the ball in the first two games against superior teams, but found rhythm last week racking up 650 yards, and 56 points on the road. Eastern could have scored 80 and probably had 800 yards of offense last week if it wasn't for the 5 turnovers, but thats going to happen with youth on offense. Easterns best receiver broke his collar bone in the first qtr against NDSU and won't play tomorrow, he was eastern's only threat in the first two weeks. Some of the underclassman stepped up last week and will need to do so tomorrow in his absence.

Defensively Eastern is actually pretty good. Eastern's offense sucked so bad in the first two weeks that they kept Easterns D on the field the entire game and they eventually wore out. Eastern had 10 sacks last week, and they faired pretty well against NDSU in the 1st half before being on the field the entire 2nd half...Easterns D will be one of the top 5 in the big sky this year, which is completely different than years past.

Overall, I think this will be a fun game to watch. If the griz come out and score a lot early, I think it will be tough for EWU to overcome that environment at night and the Griz win by double digits. If Eastern plays well early and don't let the Griz jump on them, I think Jensen will then be forced to make some plays and with every freshman, mistakes will be made and Eastern will capitalize and pull through. Should be a helluva game either way...

Back