• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

East/West Shrine Game

havgrizfan said:
Gustafson was mentioned earlier in this thread. I know this is going to break alot of Griz' fans hearts but Brady's odds of starting for Montana are below 50 percent. I would bet by the conclusion of NEXT spring, Simis will be ahead in the race. As for Weyer, wayyyyyyyyyyy too early to know what his future holds in a Grizzly uniform, but I DO KNOW THIS, the coaching staff will sign another HS QB this February and I wouldn't be shocked if a dropdown is brought in as well. And they will sign ANOTHER HS QB for the 2016 signing class too. That's how it works. No incoming HS recruit is promised anything. So I would say Weyer has an uphill climb just as Gustafson does.

I know how desparately some Griz fans want a Montana-born player to start in that role, but me, I'm in the minority. Every Griz on the roster is a MONTANAN to me once they put on that uniform so what town and state they were originially born in matters none to me.

if you are speaking to the comparison I made between Gustafson and wyer at similar stage s of their career, you misunderstood my point...it was not that I believe a mt kid should start, it simply was a statement that Gustafson was the better qb imo....I am with you all the way,,,the best qb should play, no matter where he is from or what year he is in school....a griz is a griz.......

After watching the last two All-Star games, I am very UN-impressed with Will Weyer and his coach Troy Purcell.

Weyer continually, blindly threw into double, triple and even quadruple covergage. So much so that you almost need two hands to count the interceptions (5). He also fumbled the ball.

I totally understand (and expect) a player can grow his talent A TON in college, but at this point it's not looking good. Here's to improvement! For all of us! :thumb:

gah-riz said:
East
WILL WEYER 15
ALEX THOMAS 92
BEN D’ALTON 52

West
TRISTEN CLARK 8
EVAN EPPERLY 10
SEAN FOLEY 3
TYLER RICHTMYER 80
KOLE SWARTZ 82

Alex Thomas is a BEAST! Had an aggressive sack, bringing down the thick/muscular Dallas Cook. All-Big Sky player is Alex Thomas.

Tyler Richtmyer stood-out, had a real nice game catching the ball. So did Butte Centrals Connor McGree (of the Mcgree legacy...as the announcers put it). Carroll signed him.

Whitfishs' Sean Foley had a good game, nice TD route/catch. The Whitefish LB made a splash as well, earning defensive mvp for West.

Columbia Falls QB JARED TRINASTICH COLUMBIA FALLS 6’4” 190 played great. The anouncer said he threw for 34 TDs in 2013, he showed his talent Sat night--great job!

Epperly had a nice Badlands bowl game, he had an athletic INT where he eluded a crap-load of would be tacklers and put it in the endzone for a pick-six.

Carroll is getting another good one in Troy Arnston! Small, but fast and athletic as all get out.

griz4life said:
I still want to know where Granger is going to school. He's a good looking athlete.

Granger is a good athlete (especially baseball). He didn't even play HS football until his SR year, where he earned All-State WR.

Granger de-cleated an East defender downfield just inside the 20 yard line on Troy Arnstons 78 yard TD scamper from Cook.

Granger was offered a Preferred Walkon position with the cats. But he is focusing on school at Montana Tech instead.

The Griz are MISSING OUT on Granger...he's as good or better than any tall Griz WR in the past.

cclarkblues said:
D3 pts on't understand why in 2 all-star games the coaches said "we only need one QB - Weyer".

Because of Nepotism. Bozeman and Bozeman. (Head coach Purcell and Weyer)

3 pts would say the need was otherwise.

cclarkblues said:
QB from Columbia Falls looks good. Fun to see kids I don't get to see during the season.

:agree: on both fronts.

Jared Trinastich was a very nice suprise. :clap:

He looked like a real nice kid too during his post-game tv interview. Best of luck to him.

Weyer really needs to quicken up his release.

I'm going to put more faith in his regular season than two all-star games though. Sample size people, sample size.

NLGrizFan said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
So glad we didn't get Cook he is a waste of a scholarship at any level. FBS agrees with that obviously. Most overrated player I can ever remember....he's just not a good QB
You do have a point. He looked comfortable in the pocket tho and seemed to know when to get out. Passes looked accurate. Well, accurate enough to win last night and a state title. Maybe he is only NAIA talent but he's young.

No. Alpha doesn't have a point. The only knock on Cook would be his grades. If he can get help with that he will be fine. He has all the QB football IQ necessary to succeed. He crushed both Ryan Leaf and Dave Dickensons (and everyone else's) high school accomplishments in just two years of playing time. Physically he is bigger and stronger than any UM QB I recall. Just pray that he goes to Wazoo after JuCo and that NDSU doesn't woo him while he's playing at the No Dak JuCo.

Buttegrizzle said:
NLGrizFan said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
So glad we didn't get Cook he is a waste of a scholarship at any level. FBS agrees with that obviously. Most overrated player I can ever remember....he's just not a good QB
You do have a point. He looked comfortable in the pocket tho and seemed to know when to get out. Passes looked accurate. Well, accurate enough to win last night and a state title. Maybe he is only NAIA talent but he's young.

No. Alpha doesn't have a point. The only knock on Cook would be his grades. If he can get help with that he will be fine. He has all the QB football IQ necessary to succeed. He crushed both Ryan Leaf and Dave Dickensons (and everyone else's) high school accomplishments in just two years of playing time. Physically he is bigger and stronger than any UM QB I recall. Just pray that he goes to Wazoo after JuCo and that NDSU doesn't woo him while he's playing at the No Dak JuCo.

NDSSS is more of a vo tec than a JC and has great vocational programs. I'd wager after a year in Wahpeton he'll want nothing more to do with NoDak. Let's add if he has higher aspirations (NFL) there is no reason to go to NDSU. I he can't make grades he won't be playing D1 anywhere.

Hopefully he can get his stuff together and find success in his life, football or otherwise. You seem to have a rose colored glasses outlook over a local kid. That said, I'll always root for the local kid. Hope it works out for him.

Grizzoola said:
Why is everyone ignoring Jared Trinastich (correct sp.), the Columbia Falls QB, the game's MVP?
Yes, Cook was impressive, but I'm curious about Jared. Anyone know if he's been offered a schollie? After watching that game, I think he'd have been a better catch than Weyer, who showed hardly at all.

Jared Trinastich has already committed to playing basketball at Montana-Western in Dillon, as reported 05 May 2014:

http://webserver.umwestern.edu/athletic-news/1913-montana-western-basketball-signs-columbia-falls-all-state-player.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buttegrizzle said:
NLGrizFan said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

The good thing about the Dallas Cook drama is that it will play out soon enough. We'll all know shortly whether he was worth the hype or not. It's interesting that you mentioned one of the biggest busts in NFL history in talking about Cook's HS accomplishments. A foreshadowing perhaps?

Ryan leaf? I only mentioned him because somebody else compared them in this thread. Pretty harsh! Funny story- my kid and I were in the Barnes & Nobel's in Missoula a couple years or so ago and there was Leaf signing his book about his Wazoo career. I was telling my son about his disastrous career and what a thankless prick he was coming out of high school. It wasn't a week later Leaf was busted (again) up in Great Falls.

Buttegrizzle said:
Ryan leaf? I only mentioned him because somebody else compared them in this thread. Pretty harsh! Funny story- my kid and I were in the Barnes & Nobel's in Missoula a couple years or so ago and there was Leaf signing his book about his Wazoo career. I was telling my son about his disastrous career and what a thankless prick he was coming out of high school. It wasn't a week later Leaf was busted (again) up in Great Falls.

:lol: Funny. And your kids reaction?

statler & waldorf said:
Buttegrizzle said:

:lol: Funny. And your kids reaction?

You know, the kid's a Griz fan so he wasn't too impressed when I told him about Leaf. We did buy the book though, got it signed and all. He has a chapter about playing the Griz is why. Wazoo won but Super Dave had a good day.

Back