• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Decibel Meter

RainierGriz

I know it may not be in the budget, but have always thought it would be cool if the university could put a decibel meter somewhere in the stadium that could get a reading during 3rd downs and big moments in a game and could then relay the reading on Griz Vision. I’ve been at a few stadiums that have this and it really gets just about everyone in the stands yelling.

I know it may not be in the budget, but have always thought it would be cool if the university could put a decibel meter somewhere in the stadium that could get a reading during 3rd downs and big moments in a game and could then relay the reading on Griz Vision. I’ve been at a few stadiums that have this and it really gets just about everyone in the stands yelling.
I have an iWatch and sit in the lower north end zone and it has alarmed several times that the decibels exceeded 110 and over 100 very frequently. Disclaimer: I’m not sure how accurate it is.

I have an iWatch and sit in the lower north end zone and it has alarmed several times that the decibels exceeded 110 and over 100 very frequently. Disclaimer: I’m not sure how accurate it is.
I also don’t know how accurate those meters are. That said, My dB meter peaked at 119.0 dB during the NDSU Semifinal game. Add in the field being even lower than where we were seated and that is quite the recipe for chaos.

I can only imagine what it would be like if/when the South Endzone gets a second deck 🤯

GLTKTxsWMBEz7Q5

Brilliant

Brilliant
Egriz fundraiser? See what that bad boy would cost and let's get that going! Especially since we know how loud it can get. "Top 10" with 1/4 the people. Players and talking heads will be reminded about it and could actually help recruiting to hear and SEE it...

I’ve been in #1 and #4. They don’t hold a candle.
So many variables at play here: where you sit in a stadium, who the opponent is, what the weather is like, etc.

I've been in five of those stadiums (counting WaGriz) and I can confirm they're all loud. Neyland maybe wasn't as loud as I expected, but then they were playing Montana. Not exactly a late season matchup with Florida or LSU. Husky stadium was very loud the two games I attended this year, but they had an amazing team. I've been there when it's rather sedate as well.

Start a Go Fund Me for the decibel meter, maybe Waded will kick in so she can pat herself on the back via social media👍🏻

So many variables at play here: where you sit in a stadium, who the opponent is, what the weather is like, etc.

I've been in five of those stadiums (counting WaGriz) and I can confirm they're all loud. Neyland maybe wasn't as loud as I expected, but then they were playing Montana. Not exactly a late season matchup with Florida or LSU. Husky stadium was very loud the two games I attended this year, but they had an amazing team. I've been there when it's rather sedate as well.
Plus Neyland was about 15-20k short of capacity after the monsoon before kickoff.

Plus Neyland was about 15-20k short of capacity after the monsoon before kickoff.
I honestly remember the monsoon being during the game. Everyone had to flood the concourses until it was over. Maybe I was so excited to be there that I thought the game had already started. At any rate, it was loud in a different way. The only way I can describe it is a really loud crowd at an event you aren’t attending, but are living adjacently.

I honestly remember the monsoon being during the game. Everyone had to flood the concourses until it was over. Maybe I was so excited to be there that I thought the game had already started. At any rate, it was loud in a different way. The only way I can describe it is a really loud crowd at an event you aren’t attending, but are living adjacently.
Over the years my memory has gone from a sieve to a funnel but I’m pretty sure it began minuets before kickoff. Waiting for someone with a less shi ttier memory then me to verify😁.

This is all correct.

Over the years my memory has gone from a sieve to a funnel but I’m pretty sure it began minuets before kickoff. Waiting for someone with a less shi ttier memory then me to verify😁.
Yes, it was before kickoff. I specifically remember because we didn't get to see ANY of the pregame activities all the UT fans were so proud of.

I also remember them announcing we had about 5 minutes to get back to our seats before kickoff.

After kickoff was delayed for an hour and a half for lightning

Last edited:
Yes, it was before kickoff. I specifically remember because we didn't get to see ANY of the pregame activities all the UT fans were so proud of.

I also remember them announcing we had about 5 minutes to get back to our seats before kickoff.

That’s what I remember but Everett and CDA remember it differently. Like I said though, my memory is highly suspect.

That’s what I remember but Everett and CDA remember it differently. Like I said though, my memory is highly suspect.

After reading both of them remember the rain well into the game, when the news article I posted says the game started one hour and a half late due to rain, makes me think they were drinking a lot.

Kickoff was supposed to be at 6pm. Game didn't start until 7:40.

You remember correctly.

After reading both of them remember the rain well into the game, when the news article I posted says the game started one hour and a half late due to rain, makes me think they were drinking a lot.

Kickoff was supposed to be at 6pm. Game didn't start until 7:40.

You remember correctly.
But didn’t we have to clear out during the game due to lightning? I’m probably wrong, but that’s the way I remember it. My wife remembers it that way, and she was pregnant at the time, so I really hope she wasn’t drinking. Though, all these years later, it could explain a few things…

Latest posts

Back