• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dante Olson, Trey Lance - ADA FCS Players of the Year

mtgrizfankb said:
rocklobster said:
HookedonGriz said:
Another award for Dante!

https://fcsinsider.com/news/2020/1/8/football-fcs-ada-announces-2019-top-player-honors.aspx
He should have inside track to the Buck Buchanan award, but may not get it! Be a shame if he doesn’t!
Almost guarantee that he won’t win the Buck. It’s ridiculous and some of it is to blame on the Bigsky. Co-MVP hurts his resume. Tackles are not a flashy stat. Awards are often given to the most sacks and Ints. Tackles are just not something people look at as impressive, yet in my mind it’s the most impressive stat. He’s by far the most versatile defensive player in the FCS. And by far makes the most impact play to play. The fact he has gaudy tackles but also still gets sacks, fumbles and Ints tells you that he is all over the field. If anyone didn’t vote for him to be the winner, it’s because they didn’t watch him play
All three candidates have won lots of awards. The "Co-MVP" label may hurt some, but I think he has enough other awards to make that part a wash, IMO.

If it comes down to the numbers, then what matters will be how they value the different categories. And I agree, the "glamor" stat for defensive ends has got to be Sacks, with Tackles for Loss somewhat less so. Interceptions don't play much for them, and not a lot for linebackers. The two other finalist are both DE and have many more Sacks than Dante.

Here's what I found, using guesstimated weighting factors: If they value Sacks and TFL "only" five times as much as Total Tackles, Dante just barely wins the numbers game. But if you raise the weight given to Sacks just a little bit, he doesn't make it. Since I think they do value sacks way more than TT, the numbers game is probably against Dante. :cry:

Actually, I'll be hugely surprised if the JMU player doesn't win it, even though both Laiche and Olson have better individual stats. Carter is/was the star player on the best defensive team in FCS ... that will most likely be the determining factor.

I don't make serious posts often, but here is one: Wow. That kid is extraordinary. He should be so proud of himself, and his parents must be over the moon about the person he has become.

Go Griz!

CDAGRIZ said:
I don't make serious posts often, but here is one: Wow. That kid is extraordinary. He should be so proud of himself, and his parents must be over the moon about the person he has become.

Go Griz!
He certainly should be. But you know, the kind of person he is, he probably blows that off and thinks he should be doing more.

IdaGriz01 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Go Griz!
He certainly should be. But you know, the kind of person he is, he probably blows that off and thinks he should be doing more.

Most certainly. He loses sleep over thinking he could have recovered a fumble more efficiently....when he actually recovered the fumble.

Back